What We Found in the Sofa and How It Saved the World by Henry Clark
Hardcover, 368 pages
Published: July 2013 by LittleBrown
Source: ALAMW
Age: 8 and up
Grade: 3-7
This is a very, very strange little book. Which I think you would have gathered from the title, cover and description. This is, in fact, what drew me to it in the first place. Because really, who wouldn't start dying of curiosity after reading that title and description? And the story, it's even weirder than you would ever think of, and is even more fantastic then I ever dreamed it would be.When River, Freak, and Fiona discover a rare zucchini-colored crayon between the cushions of a mysterious sofa at their bus stop, they quickly find themselves in the middle of an evil plot to conquer the world! The plot's mastermind, Edward Disin, is responsible for starting the underground coal seam fire that continually burns just beyond the kids' backyards, a dastardly cover-up for an intergalactic portal that will soon transport an army of invaders to Earth.
Disin's only weakness is his otherworldly obsession with the zucchini crayon--and he knows the kids have it. But with the help of an eccentric neighbor, an artificial intelligence in the form of a double-six domino, a DNA-analyzing tray, two hot air balloons, and a cat named Mucus, three kids from the middle of nowhere might be able to save the planet.
Henry Clark's dazzling debut middle grade novel is a thoroughly original, unabashedly wacky, and surprisingly affecting story about the importance of intelligence and curiosity in a complacent world.
River is a fun character even though he feels exceedingly... normal. Average. But River's ability to sort of take things in stride is remarkable. But him, Freak and Fiona prove their bravery time and again through this story as they are constantly in danger and nearly killing themselves in almost every chapter. Luckily they have each other to save the other. They are humorous, and witty with lots of fun and playful banter.
There are some serious things addressed in the book, like River's parents death and Freak's fathers alcoholism as well as Fiona's sisters death. But these things are integrated into the story perfectly and while we do feel bad for them, and feel that pain they feel, the story itself is kept pretty humorous.
I read this one aloud to my kids and I wouldn't say that was the best bet. I just wanted to keep reading, but to myself, while my kids didn't really seem to pay enough attention to understand what was going on. When I'd burst out laughing they would just look at me like I'm crazy. I think it's one you really have to pay attention to as you read as everything that happens is important to the story.
This is a perfect book for boys who enjoy a good strange tale. Not that girls wouldn't like it, but boys especially would be all over this one. I personally would recommend it for ages 10 and up, the main characters are 12 if I remember correctly. It's definitely a fun read and in my opinion is the perfect gift for a middle grade boy.
Disclosure: I received this book at ALAMW. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.





















I really enjoy Middle Grade- this one seems a little more juvenille than what I usually look out for but I like the sound of it.
ReplyDeleteLovely review, chick! And I love your design! :D <33
this sounds like such a great book. My son is 12, and it is so hard to find books for him that he will actually read. Thanks for sharing this one.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your review.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a great book for kids.
Andreea
HAHA! My brothers would play this game as to who can find the most interesting stuff in the sofa! I'm gonna buy this book and keep it for my little man.
ReplyDeleteCute title and glad that it was a good mg read
ReplyDeleteIt does sounds like a great MG read for boys! Bet my nephew would like it! I really need to get these kids reading more!
ReplyDeleteLOL, I agree you have my interest piqued now, especially with that title and cover alone!
ReplyDeleteGlad this was a good read Candace. I hope you have a nice weekend!
Oh I know a couple of boys that might really enjoy this adventure. Oh thanks for posting it. I so need to forward this review to them. :D
ReplyDeleteThe title made me giggle and we need more books for young boys so this is perfect, thanks for sharing this Candace :)
ReplyDeleteLove this title. That alone would make me pick it up and read it to a class. I can understand that some wouldn't be able to stay focused, if it's a detail-oriented book (or you have to be paying attention to fully appreciate it).
ReplyDeletei love this title and the description is totally wacky! This sounds like the kind of book I'd actually like to read myself. :-) I like reading middle grades as long as they're fun, fast paced and/or quirky. I also definitely know some reluctant reader boys I could give this to. Great review!
ReplyDeleteLooks cute and I love the cover/title-so unique! Not sure it's for me but if I knew any MG boys, I'd certainly recommend it.
ReplyDelete