The Look of Love by Bella Andre
Paperback, 379 pages
Published: May 28th, 2013 by Harlequin Mira
Source: Publisher
Sometimes one look is all it takes
Chloe Peterson has vowed never to make the mistake of trusting a man again. Her reasons are as vivid as the bruises on her cheek. So when her car skids off a wet country road straight into a ditch, she's convinced the gorgeous guy who rescues her must be too good to be true.
As a successful international photographer, Chase Sullivan has his pick of beautiful women. He's satisfied with his life—until he finds Chloe and her totaled car on the side of the road in Napa Valley.
With every loving look—and every sinfully sweet caress—the attraction between them sizzles, and Chloe can't help but wonder if she's met the man who may be the exception to her rule….
I want to have full disclosure here, I don't usually read romance. Not straight up like this. There are a few paranormal romance series I love, but the romance is a smaller part of the story. When the romance is the main focus, I just don't usually get on board with it. I decided to give this a try because I've been enjoying contemporary lately and this series has been getting rave reviews. Plus I got a copy in the mail. So I figured I'd give it a shot.
I really like the Sullivan family. Unfortunately we didn't see much of anyone other than Chase, the character focused on in this book. I also loved the setting of the vineyard in Napa Valley. I could picture it all so clearly and it was very romantic!
I liked Chase and Chloe quite a bit. They both had these personalities that I think I could really love, but I found myself getting caught up in the details. Chase is a great guy, he's not pushy or anything with Chloe, but towards the beginning he walks in on her in the bathroom 'accidentally' and I don't see how that could have happened. And on top of that the situation just felt wrong to me, like a bit creepy. That was the only thing that bothered me with him. Chloe was in an abusive relationship, and we see she's in pain, but she opens up to Chase quickly. I mean, I can see caving to the sex bit, but having sex, and having the wild sex they had are two different things. It just didn't seem real realistic. But so much of the book is just that, a sort of fantasy. So much is just too good to really be true, and you have to sort of accept that.
For the most part the book was an enjoyable read though. I tend to skim the sex so I was shocked there was so much of it. I think that I can say that contemporary romance probably just isn't my thing, but the other aspects of the story were pretty good and I managed to have fun while reading it.
Disclosure: I received a copy for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.





















Thanks for your honesty Candace. I'm ok with adult romance every now and again as a light, fun palate cleanser between heavier books! Sounds ok to me :)
ReplyDeleteI;m glad that you did enjoy it, I tend to skim over some of the sex scenes in adult books too. Just because I don't read all that many of them. Chloe and Chase do sound like a good couple. Great review.
ReplyDeleteHa! I tend to skim most sex scenes, too! (I usually read the first one but then if there are a bunch of follow-up encounters, I skim because I want to get back to the story!) Sounds like a sweet book but I can see it not holding my attention very long.
ReplyDeleteMe too. I look for depth in a novel. I don't want it to revolve only on romance but sometimes we need light reads to for a break. Haha.
ReplyDeleteArra
Style Reader
He walks in on her in the bathroom? That would be mortifying:) I'm a big reader of straight up romance even if I don't review it on the blog that often, they're my go-to "fun" reads that give me a break from some of the darker paranormal stuff. I'm not sure this is one I'll rush to buy, but it sounds like it was at least fun for the most part:)
ReplyDeleteHmm I get what your saying. Like he walking in on her is a little intrusive right? I mean after being in a abusive relationship this guy just talks right in? Yeah, I'd have a problem with that too.
ReplyDeleteI like this one, but it is definitely my least favorite in the series. I hope you give the others a try, but yeah, if contemporary romance isn't your thing...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you liked this (sort of) overall. Great review, Candace!
I am sorry you had to skim some parts, I know how that is! I love a good romance but sometimes there is just too MUCH.
ReplyDeleteGreat honest review Candace! I hope you have a nice weekend. :)
Lol @ Accidentally walking into a bedroom. I guess it's the type of things that you're supposed to look over and the author used to advance the plot or cause drama. I'm personally not a fan of those tactics at all bc I'm uber picky in how realistic it all is. Glad you still enjoyed it overall though! :)
ReplyDeleteGood for you giving it a try! I'm not a big romance fan either, so I give you a lot of credit for not shying away. I enjoy romance as a part of the story... But I also skin sex scenes sometimes, so if there are too many I don't enjoy the story. Great review! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to read outside your normal "comfort zone" or genre sometimes. I'm sorry this one didn't really warm you to the genre, but I think most contemporary romance would be a bit more realistic than this!
ReplyDeleteDon't read too much contemp romance either, but sometimes I do enjoy it just for vegging purposes. :) So, I can see why you didn't love it, but at least you gave it a try! Great review.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you tried it, and yes if you were skimming the smexy time scenes this probably isn't the series for you. My favorite contemporary romances are usually series, and involve either a family or small-town. You would do better trying the Kowalski Family series by Shannon Stacey. It has everything you liked about this..only what I call "clean" reading.
ReplyDeleteI'm not much for romance except YA. I'm not for the smexy scenes either. But at least you could find something to enjoy about this novel! That's probably more than I would have done.
ReplyDeleteHeather
I don't tend to be into contemporary romance either preferring historical or just the snippets in YA but occasionally it is fun to mix it up and give something out of your comfort zone a read. And if you skimmed a bunch of scenes, it probably went by pretty fast!
ReplyDeleteI haven't read anything from Bella Andrea yet, but I do have a couple of her books. I'm do love contemporary romance, but this particular novel sounds like it may not be as good as some of her others I've read about.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how I can read romances that are just a little too good to be true if I put myself in the right mindset, like if i'm on the beach, but most of the time in my reading life they annoy me. I have a feeling I need to reserve Bella Andre for the beach read shelf. For when I don't want to think too much about what I'm reading. Glad you gave this a try and had some fun with it. Lovely balanced review!
ReplyDelete