Playing Tyler by TL Costa
Paperback, 304 pages
Published: July 2nd, 3013 by Strange Chemistry
Source: Publisher
When is a game not a game?
Tyler MacCandless can’t focus, even when he takes his medication. He can’t focus on school, on his future, on a book, on much of anything other than taking care of his older brother, Brandon, who’s in rehab for heroin abuse… again.
Tyler’s dad is dead and his mom has mentally checked out. The only person he can really count on is his Civilian Air Patrol Mentor, Rick. The one thing in life it seems he doesn’t suck at is playing video games and, well, thats probably not going to get him into college.
Just when it seems like his future is on a collision course with a life sentence at McDonald’s, Rick asks him to test a video game. If his score’s high enough, it could earn him a place in flight school and win him the future he was certain that he could never have. And when he falls in love with the game’s designer, the legendary gamer Ani, Tyler thinks his life might finally be turning around.
That is, until Brandon goes MIA from rehab and Tyler and Ani discover that the game is more than it seems. Now Tyler will have to figure out what’s really going on in time to save his brother… and prevent his own future from going down in flames.
Playing Tyler is about Tyler and Ani. We get the POV of both of them but Tyler is most definitely the main character as it's more focused on him. Each time it switches it's clearly labeled and easily distinguishable between the two. Tyler has ADHD and at times his sentences are more choppy, reflecting how he's truly thinking and feeling. While this may not work for everyone, this is a style that I really appreciate and enjoy. It makes me feel like I'm truly in the head of the person and feeling what they feel. I think it works extremely well in Tyler's case and gives a true portrayal of ADHD and how they think.
Ani is only 16 and already in college at Yale. It's clear she feels a little out of her element and she's a bit intimidated by it all. When her and Tyler meet it's clear they have a bit of a connection even if Ani is denying it. Tyler may be a bit starstruck at first since she's a legendary gamer, but he seems to truly like her and he doesn't give up. I admired this quality in him, he may have come across pushy or annoying in some cases, but he didn't stalk her, he just starts with friendly emails. Ani finds she can't stay away. For me the romance was very sweet and I loved their time together. We didn't get a lot of detail, for this reason it's one that should work good for guys who don't care for romance. Tyler is super sweet to Ani but he's a little awkward. It's sweet seeing as they both gain footing around each other. We know they kiss and other stuff, but it's not on the page much, so like I said, perfect for the boys as well.
Tyler has a bit of a rough home life. His mother is really absent, and while we know she loves him, she just can't deal with stuff. His brother is in rehab and Tyler just really, really wants him to get better. The brief time we see the two together we see how much Tyler loves his brother. And it's clear that Brandon loves him too, but kicking the drug habit is not really so easy. It's frustrating at times, but that's really how it is, and I felt this portrayal of a person with a drug habit was true. It's hard to read about, but it's real. Tyler has a sort of father figure in Rick, a guy selected from a big brother-like program. It's clear him and Rick are close and he's excited when Rick hooks him up to test out a new video game, which becomes a main plot point for this story.
I enjoy all the characters immensely, particularly Tyler. But the thing that frustrated me a little was his denial once he figured some stuff out. I felt like he should have known better. At the same time it's understandable, so I felt like I had to forgive him, and in the end he most definitely redeems himself.
I kind of wish that the description didn't have so much detail and that it wasn't so obvious what was going on with the game. So while Tyler is clueless, we know, or at least are pretty freaking positive we know, and I just wish there had been a tad more mystery to it. I'm not exactly sure if that could be done though, so maybe that's being nitpicky. The story was a fast one, it was easy to keep reading even if at times I didn't feel a particular urgency to do so. I was happy to see how things unfolded and the last quarter was constant action, I didn't put the book down once.
Overall this was a very enjoyable read and I recommend it to fans of contemporary fiction, particularly those who are gamers or enjoy a touch of realistic sci-fi.
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.





















I usually end up enjoying books about disorders, they're more emotional and it's easier to feel for the characters. I'm so glad you enjoyed the characters as they really sound great. Great review :)
ReplyDeleteI think I would enjoy this, and having a son that has ADHD, I could certainly relate to the thinking and behaviors of Tyler. Wonderful review. I will be keeping an eye out for it, and pick it up.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure if this is one I would try or not but your review definitely does have me interested. I love that the author choose to make it as realistic as possible with the main character, you always have to appreciate that.
ReplyDeleteGreat review!
I'm not much for games, but this does sound like a good story. The gaming details would probably bog me down, but still, I like the family drama with Tyler. I'll definitely keep this book in mind.
ReplyDeleteGreat review, Candace!
Oooo this one is completely new to me Candace! I love when I find new books to add to the list. I really like the sound of Tyler despite the fact his denial over certain things, and I'm glad you though he really redeems himself by the end. I love to root for character redemption! I really like that cover too, those red flowers are striking:)
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds great! I love the idea of getting lost in a game. Especially since my husband gets lost in Minecraft all the time!
ReplyDeleteI love characters with psychological issues, their POV usually ends up being incredibly intersting, so I'm curious to meet this Tyler and spend some time with him. I think I've seen this one before but it never really caught my attention until now.
ReplyDeleteLovely review!
This sounds good and like you I do not mind if the dialect is different especially if it suits the character and gives me more depth! Wonderful review Candace!
ReplyDeleteI hate that kind of denial as well. However, I do like the sound of this one. I don't think the frustration would get in my way. Brilly review.
ReplyDeleteI did love this one, Candace! I loved the way reading Tyler's POV felt like I actually had ADHD. It helped me understand the condition a bit. I know what you meant about Tyler having to redeem himself. But as far as the synopsis giving everything away, I think the cover gives everything away. It's a bit obvious. Still, I think it was more about the way Tyler came round than anything. Definitely explores some interesting issues. Great review!
ReplyDeleteWhoa, a sixteen year old at Yale? Story sounds intriguing. I'm glad you enjoyed this despite a few quibbles, I don't think I'd hear of this before.
ReplyDeleteWendy @ The Midnight Garden
Love Video Games and I like the concept of Ani being so young at Yale! I am most definitely curious and I think I can deal with ADHD, usually I am not a big fan if books involving illness.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds really great! I had seen this book around the internet a little, but never really paid much attention. I think it's one I would really enjoy though. It seems much deeper than I thought it would be. Awesome review!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to add this to the list, as it sounds like my kind of romance involvement, and I love stories with different ideas, even though I'm not a fan of gamers :)
ReplyDeleteThis is new to me to, but it sounds good. I am seeing more books where the MCs have ADHD or Autism. Great review!
ReplyDeleteI haven't really seen anything about this book but I like the way it sounds especially because I love YA contemp!
ReplyDelete