Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke
Hardcover, 368 pages
Expected Publication: August 15th by Dial
Source: Netgalley/ Publisher
You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…
Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town…until River West comes along. River rents the guesthouse behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more? Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery...who makes you want to kiss back. Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.
Blending faded decadence and the thrilling dread of gothic horror, April Genevieve Tucholke weaves a dreamy, twisting contemporary romance, as gorgeously told as it is terrifying—a debut to watch.
It's been a little while since a book truly captivated me. That sucked me on page one and didn't let go until the very last page. A book that I could actually sit and read all in one sitting, and in fact desperately wanted to read in one sitting. A book that was absolutely stunning and terrifying. A book that every single aspect worked together magnificently.
The setting of the small town of Echo, and especially the gothic mansion that Violet lives in, are the perfect setting for this incredibly creepy story. This home of Vi's is a mansion I really want to visit. I'd say I'd like to live there, but I might be a little too scared to ever sleep! The thing is, the mansion itself isn't what's so creepy. It's more beautiful than anything. And since Violet clearly loves it, we can't help but love it too.
I really, really liked Violet. She's maybe a bit quiet and aloof, but she's a bit nerdy in that she loves to read and be immersed in her stories. She also dresses in her grandma's old clothing and I really loved that, that's my kind of style, for sure! Violet and her brother Luke are alone in this house as their parents have disappeared off to Europe to paint and do their art. Vi and Luke fight a lot but as the story goes on we see how much they truly care about each other. Violet is a very caring person and through the book we see her kindness show through in little things she does. But maybe Violet has a little less kindness in her than she thought, or even thinks...
When River comes to town and rents out the guest house it's easy to fall for him. He has this charisma and charm and it's hard to think bad of him. But we, as the reader, know that there's something more to him just because of the book description. And it becomes clear pretty quickly that something's up. There's quite a lot of mystery and little things are constantly unraveling. Even when we find out one thing, there's still so much more. So it's mystery after mystery, I suppose. And we still don't know, is he evil? Is he accidentally bad, with good intentions? We really don't know and the emotions are all over the place. I can say I really, really wanted him to be good. I really liked his personality but because I always felt so suspicious I never knew what exactly to think of anything he said or did. The thing is, you may think you have it all figured out, but then POOF, another twist. I absolutely loved it! And the ending, brilliant! (And no cliffhanger, woo hoo!)
The book is impossible to put down. While it has quite a few pages, I read it much more quickly than I do most books with even less pages. And the creepiness, oh gosh! I'm not a fan of horror, I get creeped out and scared super easy, but I think most anyone can agree this is plenty creepy! But even though I don't usually like horror, it worked for me in this one. I read it for the gothic aspect and because April is a local author, but I'm SO glad I did! This may very well end up on my favorites list for 2013...
Highly recommend!
Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.


.png)


















I felt like I was reading an old gothic or a Faulkner story. It had that lazy Southern feel to it while being extremely creepy. Great book!
ReplyDeleteI just skimmed your review, Candace since I've read my ARC of this one yet. Very excited after seeing your 5 rating. This was one debut novel that I was really looking forward to reading this year. :)
ReplyDeleteYEAH CANDACE!!!! I so loved this one too, and it was really hard for me to write the review and put my thoughts into words. This book kind of defied any attempt to analyze it for me, so my review is a super vague gush fest. I agree with you completely, I adored Violet and I so, so wanted River to be good. I loved that I couldn't help but be suspicious of him the whole way through. I need more of this world immediately!
ReplyDeleteYES! I have been so curious about this one and now after reading your review this is going to be a must read for me. I am so excited that you loved this!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome review!
Violet sounds like a character that I would like and love the sound of a story I can't put down
ReplyDeleteThanks for the awesome review! I have this on my tbe pile for this month. So excited to read it.
ReplyDeleteI want to read this so badly! I love the super creepy ones. :) Great review.
ReplyDeleteI SO WANTED to get an ARC for this!!! I have heard nothing but good things about it!!! I cant wait to get it when it comes out!
ReplyDeleteWow, wonderful review! I'm glad you gave it a shot and found it so worthwhile. I think I need to read this one. I'm very curious and I love that there are lots of mysteries that keep you guessing.
ReplyDeleteCandace! Your review makes me so sooo happy!!! I just talked to Jenny the other day about the book and between the two of you - I know that I'm going to love it! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy:))
ReplyDeleteWow Candace beautiful review!! I am doing a little dance after reading it.. since I was sent a copy. Now I am going to add it to my list for September/October..squee!
ReplyDeleteSo many people have raved about this, but I don't like horror/creepy either ... maybe I'll give it a try since we're similar in that regard!
ReplyDeleteWaahhhh! I wanted to read this one so bad, but the publisher didn't like me and declined my submission. Yea... too many requests or some excuse like that. :( However, so glad I got to read your review. I was thinking this one would be for me and then sometimes you get disappointed. It doesn't look like I would be disappointed and so I'm going to immediately put this one on the wishlist. Can't wait!
ReplyDeleteI wanna read this one SO bad! I'm in serious need for a good horror book as the ones I've read recently have been lacking in that dept. Great review Candace!
ReplyDeleteVi
Confessions of a Vi3tBabe
Deity Island
I won a copy of this from Library Things. I hope it comes! I've been dying to read it!! Is it a series? I am so glad you liked it so much. It and In The After were two of my most anticipated books this year. In The After didn't let me down and now it seems this one won't either. I cannot wait!! Thanks for making me want it even more!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHeather
I have this on my list to read this weekend, and I hadn't really read any reviews before this, but now I'm super excited! I think I'm going to love Violet, it sounds like she's a book nerd, and I have to agree with you on her style. :-) I'm thrilled to hear that you couldn't put this down because it's been awhile since a book captivated me like that, and I'm really looking forward to getting sucked into this story. Awesome review!
ReplyDeleteIt's always an amazing feeling when all parts of a book come together and create a story you love so much. Your enthusiasm for BtD&tDBS is great. Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteA fabulous review Candace! This is a book I have been so eager to read since I first read the synopsis and after reading your praise I am even more excited about reading it.
ReplyDeleteThank-you for sharing! :)
I am nervous to read this one because of the creepy factor, but its getting such good reviews!! Im torn!
ReplyDeleteI love this book and the creepy factor gets two thumbs up from me. Adding it to my TBR list and hoping to read it in October...when the spooky books seem twice as scary.
ReplyDeleteAfter your and Jen Ryland's reviews of this book, I am so eager to give it a read-I fully expect it to captivate me like it did you!
ReplyDeleteI really, really want to read this book! Great review!
ReplyDeleteYou have convinced me to read this one. I remember reading Jenny's review and how much she liked it to.
ReplyDeleteFantastic review, Candace! I LOVED how quirky Vi, and all the characters were. River was just...magnetic! I loved him when he was bad, loved him when he was good... all of it. And the writing was just beautiful. Tucholke really has a way with words. I personally love being creeped out so all the crazy, mess with your mind, twisted stuff that happens in the book made it even better, imo! So glad you loved this one too!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete