Unbreakable by Kami Garcia
Hardcover, 320 pages
Published: Oct 1, 2013 by Little, Brown
Source: Library
Supernatural meets The Da Vinci Code in this action-packed paranormal thriller, the first book in a new series from New York Times bestselling author Kami Garcia.
I never believed in ghosts. Until one tried to kill me.
When Kennedy Waters finds her mother dead, her world begins to unravel. She doesn’t know that paranormal forces in a much darker world are the ones pulling the strings. Not until identical twins Jared and Lukas Lockhart break into Kennedy’s room and destroy a dangerous spirit sent to kill her. The brothers reveal that her mother was part of an ancient secret society responsible for protecting the world from a vengeful demon — a society whose five members were all murdered on the same night.
Now Kennedy has to take her mother’s place in the Legion if she wants to uncover the truth and stay alive. Along with new Legion members Priest and Alara, the teens race to find the only weapon that might be able to destroy the demon — battling the deadly spirits he controls every step of the way.
Suspense, romance, and the paranormal meet in this chilling urban fantasy, the first book in a new series from Kami Garcia, bestselling coauthor of the Beautiful Creatures novels.
Unbreakable ended up being one of those books that is incredibly difficult to review simply because it left me feeling very little. While I liked the book, I didn't love it, and I also didn't dislike it. Putting together the what and why may be a challenge, but I'll see what I can do for you.
Kennedy starts out as a normal girl and a touch naive. Through the book she grows as a character and as she's exposed to more she grows stronger. I liked Kennedy okay, and especially toward the end she grew on me. I liked Alara, another girl who is a Legend member quite a lot despite her feeling slightly cliche. I liked that she was prickly, but could have done with a tad less of her rudeness in the beginning. Priest was another member, and probably my favorite. He seems to be the one who really knows what he wants and isn't all full of drama and angst. He was a lighter, friendlier character and I liked that a lot. Next up we have the brothers, Jared and Lukas. Honestly, I didn't feel much for them at all and I feel like maybe they needed to be a bit more fleshed out for me to really love them. They felt a bit too flat for me. On top of that the romance between Kennedy and them was irritating to me. At times I wasn't sure who she liked and they both seemed to like her. By the end it's clear who she likes, but at this point I just don't have any strong emotions regarding the romance.
The supernatural elements are by far the strongest part of this book. The creepy parts were truly creepy and I'm glad I read it only during the day. I like books with ghosts and loved that there were good and bad ones, it wasn't all about evil ghosts. In the book it keeps talking about Kennedy's mother originally being part of the Legion and I have a whole theory in my head regarding that. It was a little frustrating that the book ended and we never even got to the part that would prove or disprove my theory. However, this isn't the books fault, only my own for wishing so hard. ;)
The end of the book was frustrating and satisfying at the same time. The closing scene was very well done in that I felt the horror of it all. I could really feel and see everything so clearly. At the same time I was frustrated because Kennedy and the others ignored something that they really should have paid attention to.
In the end I found that I had enjoyed the book okay, but it really didn't blow me away. I will probably read the next book because I need to know what happens. And hopefully we'll get more fully fleshed out characters as well, which would really improve my opinion.





















I gave this one 3 stars as well. The beginning freaked me out TBH, I was reading it at 1am as well which did not help lol. I wasn't a fan of the romance, rather unnecessary IMO.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! <33
Thanks for the review. I've been debating whether to read it. I think I'll skip it and try to read Time Travel, Inc., which you raved about instead.
ReplyDeleteI loved this book, it's one of my favorites, although I found BC better.
ReplyDeleteStill, I loved the whole concept of it and I liked the main characters.
Thanks for your honest review.
Andreea
I have seen mixed reviews for this one and honestly I'm not sure should I read it. I mean it does sound like a great idea and everything but romance doesn't sound so good. I need a nice romance in a book. Great review, Candace :)
ReplyDeletebeen hearing a lot of unfavorable reviews of this book, i think i should notch it down a few peggs on my tbr pile now
ReplyDeleteAparajita @Le' Grande Codex
This book has been iffy for more. Not sure if I want to pick it up or not. I see its on audio now at my library so I may give it a try. Nothing to lose. Great review.
ReplyDeleteIt kind of seems like this is one of those books that you either love or feel very little about. I am sorry you feel into the latter of the two Candace.
ReplyDeleteI didn't bother picking this book up because the description sounds so "ho-hum", After reading your review, I'm glad I passed on it.
ReplyDeletep.s. I forgot to post on your blog yesterday. I'm gathering books for your drive. Not sure how many I'll have but I'll let you know when I'm ready to ship them!
I really enjoyed this one Candace, but it was mainly to do with the supernatural aspect of the story. As you mentioned, those scenes were INSANELY creepy (I'm glad I read during the day too) and are what kept me flipping the pages as quickly as possible. The romance was definitely frustrating for me as well, but I'm hoping with a clear romantic choice made, we'll have less of the push-pull in the next book. *crosses fingers*
ReplyDeleteI liked this book and definitely agree about the two girl characters. But I really liked the world and the supernatural woo-woo.
ReplyDeleteThe reviews have been pretty meh for this one. I might still give it a try if I can get it from the library. Glad that you did enjoy it some.
ReplyDeleteThe love triangle took so much away from the book. It frustrated me too. The supernatural parts were my favorite too. :)
ReplyDeleteI have this one coming up but ugh - love triangle! lol
ReplyDeleteQuite a few people I know didn't love it so I'm in no rush but I'll get to it because I love creepy stories.
Hm... I'm not sure. I might have to pick it up because you have me so curious. I do think I would share your frustration as well. Darn it.
ReplyDeleteI love the sound of the supernatural elements, I am curious and I am sorry this was just ok for you.
ReplyDeleteI loved this book, like Jenny mostly because of the creepy bits! I agree with you on some of the characters and the angst. I think because of that, Priest and Alara ended up being my favorite characters (there was just so much less drama). Sorry the book didn't leave you feeling more, but I'm glad you enjoyed it mostly. Wonderful balanced review Candace!
ReplyDeleteWhat an excellent job of explaining what you liked about the book, and what didn't elen work for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review, Camdace!
The cover is awesome though!!! Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteYou're right, those are by far the most difficult books to review. I started this and gave up at 20% for pretty much the same reason - we just didn't connect. Some huge things were happening and I wasn't feeling them at all. Too bad.
ReplyDeleteAw, I know how that is. I thought this sounded great while reading the blurb, but the things you mentioned makes me feel meh. So I'm not sure if I'd read this or not.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the review Candace. Middle of the road books are the hardest to review. You don't want to discourage others from reading it but at the same time can't rave about it but you still plan to read the next one because you want to find out what happens next. Those type of reviews are the most frustrating to write and I think there is a lot to be said for that. Which is why I wish 3 stars held more value and appeal for people.
ReplyDeleteI still have yet to read this one. Nice review.
ReplyDeleteKennedy starting out normal sounds like a plus and could help to relate
ReplyDeleteI'm such a chicken. I really don't think I could read this book. If YOU are glad you only read it during the day, that meant there's no hope for me!
ReplyDeleteAw I'm so sorry you didn't like this one that much. I really loved it, it might even end up as one of my favorites of the year. I just really enjoyed the twins and I liked all of the spooky elements as well as all of the major things going on in the storyline.
ReplyDeleteI hope the next book can capture your attention better.
thanks for the great review!
Thanks for the honest review. I don't think this would be for me either.
ReplyDeleteThis book didn't sound like a me book and your review only cements that impression for me. I'll stick to other reads for now.
ReplyDelete