Welcome to my stop on the Rook blog tour! On this stop you'll find my review as well as a giveaway. This tour is hosted by me and you can find the tour page with a list of tour stops HERE.
Rook (Timeless Games #1) by Monica MacDonald
ebook, 310 pages
Published: November 1st, 2013
Source: Author
Could you be the monster to save who you love?
Two women, separated by generations, must leave what they know to start a new life. Seventeen-year-old Kate's senior year is ruined when she's moved from the only home she's ever known. After an isolating month alone in her apartment, school starts, but neither her classmates nor her teacher are who they seem. Kali, a single mother living in the nineteenth century wilds of Montana, is stalked by a malicious past. She fights to keep her daughter safe while her freedom is threatened by her less than benevolent benefactor. Both find love, and with it hope, but that is quickly ripped away as one woman must learn the lessons of the other -- before it's too late to save either.
This story is about Kate, a modern day girl who has just moved and has to go to a new school. It's also about Kali, a young mother living in the nineteenth century. We alternate between both of them and this works incredibly well because we see there's a connection there, but what is it? As we read we get the perfect amount of clues to take guesses, but nothing ever becomes obvious until later in the story. When the two stories finally connect everything comes together and makes sense. While there's still unanswered questions because this is the first in a series, we do get a decent conclusion and aren't left with a cliffhanger.
The story is mostly Kate's and in the future books I'm assuming we won't be seeing Kali anymore. We really saw the conclusion to her part of the story. Those who might be afraid of the historical setting for Kali's portion, don't be- it's more character driven for those parts and the time period isn't really part of the story.
I loved Kali, she was gentle and kind and put others first all the time. While she wasn't perfect- she made some mistakes in her past, she's a person with a big heart and that's very evident. It's through Kali that we learn about the paranormal/fantasy elements of the story. And this paranormal aspect is very, very unique. I feel like there's so much more to learn, but what I've seen so far is fascinating.
Kate was a character that I liked a lot, but she's discovering a lot through the book which allowed for some ups and downs in her personality. Fortunately enough weird things happen to her that when she's faced with the paranormal stuff she doesn't freak out too much. I did feel she was a little in denial before it was all laid out, like she was writing things off as being too tired or something, when it clearly was something more, but when it came down to things and she needed to step up, she did. It took a little to take that final brave step forward, and I actually wondered a bit, but when she did everything finally clicked together. I can see how the next book will be different, now that she knows things it's all going to change.
The romance in this was very, very light, but that's another thing that I think will have to change for the next one. In this it just didn't really have time to go anywhere. But I do like that the romantic interest is a friend, so there's no insta-love. However, there's a hint of a love triangle- it never actually happens, and it's resolved, but it's hinted at; just be prepared and keep reading, trust me, it's worth it.
I really enjoyed this start to a new series, but I think the next book will be even better and I'm looking forward to reading it! Also, this is a pretty clean read. I don't recall any cursing and there's no sex or insinuation. There's some violence, but that's about it.
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
About the author:
Monica is a married graduate student with three boys. Utah
is home right now, but the need to wander has extended beyond the fantasy world
of writing and into real life. She's lived all around the US
and even into the Middle East. The world is really a
small place, only made bigger through imagination.
























I like how this is written with two completely different people and two time zones--seems like a refreshing read.
ReplyDeleteFantastic review, Candace! <33
I have seen this one and I though about joining this tour but I knew that my midterms would stop me from reading it. Anyhow I'm so happy you enjoyed this one. The whole idea seems really unusual and it seems like the author pulled it nicely. Great review, Candace :)
ReplyDeleteI think I would really enjoy the two different time periods and the subtle mystery.
ReplyDeleteI am going to have to keep this one in mind Candace!
This sounds interesting and different with the two different time periods, and I like that there isn't a huge cliffhanger. Great review.
ReplyDeleteKali being all gentle and kind sounds great.
ReplyDeleteYou know me and character driven stories Candace, so I'm all for this one! I love that it has a really unique paranormal aspect as well, that's icing on the cake:) It's a shame a love triangle enters the picture, however briefly, but I'm glad it's handled well and nothing really becomes of it and I hope it stays resolved in the next book! Sometimes those pesky triangles are persistent ;-)
ReplyDeleteLooks interesting
ReplyDeleteOoh I'm curious how the two stories are connected. I'm glad you really like this, and I hope the second one is awesome!
ReplyDeleteHuh, I wonder what possible connection between them could there be! How interesting. I love that the romance is so lught and so slow to develop, a friends to lovers kind of thing. Since the love triangle didn't develop properly, I can forgive those hints easily.
ReplyDeleteLovely review, Candace.
Oh I love the sound of the characters. Already like the sound of Kali and am already missing her... and I haven't read the book! LOL Curious about how they go together as well. Brilly review!
ReplyDeleteSometime the alternating timelines/POVs work really well--it sounds like it was definitely well done here! I'm glad you loved this, it's nice to hear it's a character-focused story.
ReplyDeleteWendy @ The Midnight Garden
Glad that there's no instalove! The POV's sound like they were nicely done, too. I hadn't heard of this story before, but I'll definitely check it out.
ReplyDeleteGreat review :)
You have me very curious about the connection between the two. This type of book doesn't really demand a love interest and I am glad the author kept it light and sweet.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds interesting. And the fact that it's character driven is a huge plus for me.
ReplyDeleteA unique concept. I am always looking for something different to read. Thanks for the chance to enter this give away.
ReplyDeleteI believe that everyone of us do have some characteristics of our ancestors . There are things that we could do that could remind someone present of someone in the past. This book has me curious just to find the connection.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to reading this. Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteHmm, I am so perplexed about how these two women are connected. I just can't figure it out from the synopsis and not from your review. But I'm glad you enjoyed it and it sounds like a great book, unique is hard to do. I always think I've seen it all. I'm sorry I didn't have time for this tour, but it's on my TBR list.
ReplyDeleteGreat review! Cannot wait to read it!
ReplyDeleteLooks interesting!! I like that there isn't insta-love.
ReplyDeleteHmm, I do like these types of stories where the reader can find the connections between the characters. Nice review.
ReplyDeleteI'm really excited to read this...I'm really interested in how the stories are connected
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like such an interesting setup, and now I'm so curious to know what the connection between them is! I do love character driven stories, and I'm glad to hear that the romance is slow developing friend-to-love and that there's no cliffhanger. Great review!
ReplyDeleteThis does sound amazing.
ReplyDeleteGreat review, this book sounds really good.
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds very interesting :)
ReplyDeleteVery nice review :)
I added it to my goodreads. Nice reviews - sounds really interesting.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the warning about the love triangle-it's been a few books since I read a book featuring a triangle but I'm still really weary of them. I don't have to be in the right frame of mind to read this since it's such a minor aspect.
ReplyDeleteSounds awesome! The cover gives me chills!
ReplyDelete