A Sleep So Dark by Inara Scott
Paperback, 221 pages
Published: Oct. 25th, 2013
Source: Author (I had also bought an ebook of it, but the author sent a paperback)
Haunted…
After watching her mother die in a car accident, sixteen year-old Tandy McIntyre is plagued by violent dreams. Terrified to sleep and losing her grip on reality, she agrees to attend an experimental group retreat with Dr. Robert Gillman, an expert in lucid dreaming.
Trapped…
In the bitter cold of a Colorado winter, Tandy follows Dr. Gillman and his enigmatic son Cade as they lead a group of troubled teens into the wilderness. There, Dr. Gillman claims he will teach them to control their unconscious minds and master their dreams. But when the dreaming and the waking collide, will Tandy ever be safe again?
Don’t Fall Asleep…
This was a fantastic read! It pulled me in immediately and was plenty mysterious. I knew some serious stuff was going to go down, but that's about it. I had no idea what could happen and the twists and turns caught me unawares. Once I started reading I really didn't want to stop and it could have easily been read in one sitting.
The paranormal aspect was pretty unique, and while dreaming themes have been done before, this was different from anything else I've read. It was pretty creepy and if you're an active dreamer you might not want to read it before bed...
The secondary characters were fleshed out just enough to be able to imagine them, but without them taking over the story. The main characters were great and I could relate and connect with them. Tandy started out good, but as the story went on and we saw her character growth and strength I loved her even more. Initially I didn't know what to think of Cade, but as him and Tandy grow close I saw more of his good side and I really liked him. Even though the romance was fast, I found it believable due to the situation and was on board with it.
The only thing that I didn't love was that the ending wrapped up a bit too quickly for me. I liked how it played out, the overall conclusion, but I would have liked to see some stuff that it skipped over. Still, it's a minor complaint.
It was a fast and unpredictable ride that I highly recommend!
Disclosure: I received this copy for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.





















It sounds like Inception! :) I like books about dreaming, but they have the tendency to be confusing. This sounds reeeeally good, though! I'll have to try it. ;)
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of this book before but it sounds like a really promising read. I love the whole idea and the way it's done. Like Cait said it sounds like Inception :) Also characters sound great and too bad the ending was a bit rushed, but still it sounds like a great read :)
ReplyDeleteGreat review, Candace :)
This one sounds like I would really enjoy. Never heard of it, so thanks so much for bringing it to my attention. I love the movie Inception, it's one of my favorites. I will add this book to my wish list.
ReplyDeleteAndreea
I just never know about dreaming books. Sometimes, they make no sense. Sometimes, they're too trippy. This one sounds like it does it right, though!
ReplyDeleteI love the sound of the paranormal aspect and the secondary characters. The creepy tone excites me, lovely review Candace!
ReplyDeleteFast and unpredictable sounds good. I like dreaming books that are well done.
ReplyDeleteSuch a gorgeous cover on this one Candace! I'm so glad to know the story is every bit as good as its cover suggests:) I can believe in fast romances under certain circumstances, so I'm thinking if you were able to get on board with it, then I will too. Looking forward to giving this one a try, thanks for the fabulous review!
ReplyDeleteI love the concept of this book! Too bad the ending seems to be rushed and too neatly tied up. I've never heard of it but now I want to know more. Thanks for putting it on my radar!
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of this book before, but it sounds quite interesting. I especially like that cover. I'm not too big on fast romances, but it seems like it works here. I love it when characters grow throughout a book, so I think I might enjoy this one.
ReplyDeleteLovely review, Candace.
This one is definitely new to me. I'm glad how unexpectedly great it turned out for you, Candace. Lovely review!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds wonderful Candace. I haven't heard of it before, but I'm adding it to my never ending TBR pile :). Fantastic review.
ReplyDeleteI love the cover on this and I am happy to read it is more than just a pretty cover!
ReplyDeleteOh this sounds neat! I think I only read 1 book with a dream theme - it was some kind of dream thief or something. It also sounds like all the characters were given some good development which is awesome. Plus to cover is perty! Great review!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great read! I'm curious about books that deal with dreams, and I haven't read too many so I'm not sick of them. :)
ReplyDeleteLove stuff on DREAMS! And this sounds like a good one!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds fantastic. I love an unpredictable ride. Plus, I have to admit, I was drawn to that title. Sounds like it lives up to it! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great book! Great review also! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOohhh, sounds pretty good,
ReplyDeletegreat review. I haven't heard of this book. I will need to check it out. I love twists and turns in my books.
ReplyDeleteOh I liked Inara Scott's other YA series, I'll have to get this one! Great review Candace!
ReplyDeleteThat cover makes me feel cold. And then it makes me homesick. And then I need chocolate. Really, every lane of my life tends to end in chocolate, as this rambling comment is going too.
ReplyDeleteChocolate.