Horde by Ann Aguirre
Hardcover, 432 pages
Published: October 29th, 2013 by Feiwel & Friends
Source: Amazon Vine
The epic conclusion to the USA Today bestselling trilogy.
The horde is coming.
Salvation is surrounded, monsters at the gates, and this time, they're not going away. When Deuce, Fade, Stalker and Tegan set out, the odds are against them. But the odds have been stacked against Deuce from the moment she was born. She might not be a Huntress anymore, but she doesn't run. With her knives in hand and her companions at her side, she will not falter, whether fighting for her life or Fade's love.
Ahead, the battle of a lifetime awaits. Freaks are everywhere, attacking settlements, setting up scouts, perimeters, and patrols. There hasn't been a war like this in centuries, and humans have forgotten how to stand and fight. Unless Deuce can lead them.
This time, however, more than the fate of a single enclave or outpost hangs in the balance. This time, Deuce carries the banner for the survival of all humanity.
I wonder how long it'll take for this lump in my throat to go away? When the entire last quarter of the book places it there and doesn't let up, you know it's a good book. This isn't a series that could get away without any losses, but it's not all sad. Actually it seems like the warm parts, the parts with hope, with the showing of goodwill and good people, make the lump in my throat even larger. Watching it all play out and finish was... I don't know there's a word that can even say. Stunning? It was stunning. Some was bittersweet, but I was very, very satisfied with the conclusion of this trilogy.
It's amazing how far Deuce has come from the first book. I loved the previous two and I loved her, but I loved her even more in this book. We see her doubts and insecurities, but we see her step up to do what she knows she has to do. She takes charge even when she doesn't know what she's doing, she just knows she has to do something. And while she's doing this her heart is filling up with more and more love. She's learning about caring for others even more and we see how it's changed her so much for the better. She's really about as good as a person can get and still be real. Cause she's not perfect, but she's still a hero. And I think a lot of times it takes a person who came from a dark place to really take the chances she did. To step up and risk themselves for others time after time. I really admire her and what she worked to accomplish.
This book had a lot of fighting and gore, but even though I don't generally like that, I found myself completely entranced. Not by the war, but the way Deuce tells us the story, shows us the story. As we see Morrow's graceful fighting, and Tegan's abilities with the staff, with Fade's fighting along side her, with Stalker's determination and scouting ability. How each person worked together and accomplished the impossible.
I just have to say- Morrow, love him! I really, really want a story about him.
The book is pretty long, but I really wanted to just devour it at once (impossible since I had so many other things to do). I just really needed to see them get a happy ending, and while I couldn't imagine things ever being really good, I really hoped for it. Ann Aguirre really outdid herself though, she pulled everything off and while we may wish for every single person to live and have a HEA, that's just not a possibility here. However, it's not a sad ending at all. There are sad moments, but it all ends on an amazingly wonderful note.
I highly recommend this series. It can be dark and depressing and bloody, but all the hope and strength and determination in these characters will only warm your heart. Stunning, brilliant and remarkable.
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.


.png)


















I was rather so-so about Enclave but I've heard that the series gets so much better so I am very eager to continue! Glad this one ended nicely.
ReplyDeleteGreat review, luv! <33
My daughter loves this series. She's been bugging me to read Enclave and it's sitting on my stack to read. I'll have to try to read it and I'll going to buy her Horde for the holidays if it's not at the library. Thanks Candace!
ReplyDeleteI need to catch up on this series. I'm glad this one wrapped up the series nicely for you, Candace.
ReplyDeleteI really can't wait to read this. I think I might reread the other two so I can totally binge and immerse myself in Deuce's world. Go ANN!!
ReplyDeleteI just skimmed through your review because I haven't started this series yet but I have heard wonderful things about it and this last book! I am so glad you really enjoyed it too and it ended up being an emotional read as well.
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely weekend Candace!!
I don't mind the dark and bloody, now if I could only get it from my library, I could start this series. It sounds like one that I would like. Great review. :)
ReplyDeleteYAY!!!!!! I absolutely loved this one too Candace! I agree with you completely on Deuce, I think she was just extraordinary in this book, and it was so nice to see her develop more emotional attachments and emerge as a leader even though she was terrified she wouldn't be enough to defeat the Horde. And I adored Morrow too. Yes to a book with him!
ReplyDeleteWow, sounds amazing! I'm so glad you loved the book, since the end of series is always a big thing to wait for...and I think I need to read these now!
ReplyDeleteLovely review, Candace. i loved loved loved. i enjoyed all the character growth, especially Stalker... he grew and changed so much. I ended up loving him! I loved the reunion and all the happy parts and the romance was just breathtaking. It was a fantastic series!
ReplyDeleteYay! Great review. I loved how this series ended and I completely agree about Morrow :-))
ReplyDeleteKaren @ For What It's Worth
Karen @ For What It's Worth
Don't you hate it when the everyday gets in the way of reading? LOL I am so behind on this series. I've only read book 1 and I so need to read the rest. Must read now that the series has ended. Plus, you loved it so much it is going higher on that darn long wishlist!!
ReplyDelete*bangs head on desk* Gads wonderful review Candace and I have to get started on this series. It sounds like it has so many elements I love. Eep!
ReplyDeleteI've had the first book for years, and somehow can't make myself start it. But, so many bloggers I know absolutely love it. I'm so happy this ending was so satisfying for you!
ReplyDeleteYAY! So happy that you enjoyed the series. I totally loved it!!
ReplyDeleteI really want to read this series! I got the first book a while ago but I just kept pushing it off. No idea why. I'm excited that you loved it. It makes me want to read it even more. I love that there is good character growth.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review!
Michelle @ Book Briefs
Oh my - I want to read this!!! I have Enclave on my Kindle and have for a while. I need to get started soon hopefully so I can get to this book - A lump in the throat never sounded more appealing :).
ReplyDeleteYay, so happy to hear you loved the ending! I was so incredibly satisfied with it. You're right, a HEA for everyone isn't possible, but I was happy with what we got. Also I know the book was long, but I flew right through it. Her writing just sucks you in and you don't even notice the pages flying by. Such an amazing series! Beautiful review Candace :-)
ReplyDelete