Two weeks ago I kicked off the discussion series about Social Media and Blogging with a discussion about g+ and whether it's a useful tool. Last week I did a recap of everyone's thoughts and started a discussion about Facebook. This week I'll do a recap with everyone's thoughts about Facebook and start a discussion about Twitter. I had planned to do Pinterest next, but it felt like the most logical one to do was Twitter since that's up there with Facebook, right?
Now that we've read that giant book, let's talk Twitter!
I use Twitter for promotional only. At least for the most part. I use to be far more active on there and would ask random questions or say random things, but I just lost interest in doing that. I either had too many spam replies or no replies at all. Looking through tweets to chat back became 'another thing to do' and it was on the chopping block, I just stopped looking through my feed at all. So chatting with others via Twitter isn't really happening here. At least not often.
However, I use Twitter for promotional reasons. I'm a member of several Triberr tribes, so we all tweet each others blog posts, so I have regular tweets going out for that. I sometimes feel like my feed is just a bunch of spam, but really it's not. I mean, I don 't tweet everything for everyone. I don't usually tweet the cover reveals or book blasts. Mostly I tweet reviews, discussion posts and giveaway's. Does it work? I don't know. I know that I have got some readers from Triberr itself and I have several blogs in my Triberr tribes that I visit regularly. For that reason, I think that it's probably worth it. I feel like I've made some new friends with it. But really, that's more Triberr then Twitter.
So what are your thoughts?
- I was surprised when there were a lot of comments by bloggers that said they didn't have a Facebook page for their blog. I shouldn't be surprised though, it took me 4 years to get one up myself.
- It was pretty clear that time is an issue for many, we have to pick and choose what we want to spend our time on. I understand that one far too well.
- Maja says she uses her Facebook page far more than Twitter and sees much more traffic come from it. She feels Twitter is pointless anymore and she dislikes it. I do agree to a certain extent about Twitter, I'll share those thoughts down below.
- Maja, along with some others, doesn't like that Facebook is trying to get us to pay for getting more viewers. If we pay to promote the post then it may go from 50 people seeing it to 400 people seeing it and that's just a pain and so wrong. I'm in agreement with this 100%. I did pay once, and it made no difference in how many views that post actually got (on my blog). I won't do it again. I do want to mention that if you post a link and then click the x that makes the box go away (the one that shows a tease of it with an image) you will get WAY more views. I almost always do this.
- Kimba, and several others, like Facebook for cover reveals, sharing about special deals and other promotional things we may not want cluttering our blog. I agree with this as well. I don't usually do cover reveals on my blog unless it's for a client or an author I love already. I also don't do kindle deals on my blog so sharing on my Facebook page works well.
- Melissa had a great comment that I want to share in it's entirety because it's quite interesting. I share some deals and try to help authors out, but I was always afraid of overdoing it and annoying people, maybe I shouldn't be as concerned about it though.
I agree that FB seems to be the way to go anymore (twitter can be frustrating at times). I have a FB blog page and I have the same issue sometimes. I post things and it's like nobody cares! And then I see other sites posting a million posts and they have twice as many likes as I do or more. I think the key to it is what you are posting. If you are posting just your blog posts, you won't get much feedback as most people have better things to do (just being real). But, when I scroll through and see books posted that are cheap or free, I click on it cuz I want to check out the book. And if you are the kind of blog that is constantly promoting authors (like myself) I have a tendency to fancy their blog more because it isn't about them so much as the authors. I have had my blog FB page for almost 8 mo and I went from 200 likes to almost 1500 likes simply because I started promoting authors on my page. The more you promote, the better your site will do.
- A few mentioned Network Blogs, I have that as well but I put that up when I put up my blog and it's hooked to my personal Facebook, so it posts there each day. I haven't tried to see if I can add another and make it post on my Facebook, but I don't really mind putting up a link myself since I like to share some thoughts about my post and not just the link.
- Jessica says photos and videos do better on there than links, which I suppose is true since it's something to actually talk about. She also says having something exclusive to your social media can get more interaction. And that's definitely true. She also recommended putting up pictures of book signings and stuff. I think I can throw in here that pictures of your bookshelves would likely work as well.
- Melissa mentioned that some may not 'like' posts because it shows their name.
- Katie said she does better with g+, her Facebook posts get little to no attention. On g+ she's gotten 70+ comments back. {This is fascinating, seeing how different things work for different people.}
- Ginny said she has the same issues as me. Sometimes her posts get lots of attention and other times not. Sometimes giveaway's go well on Facebook and other times she doesn't get much response.
- BB had a great comment and rather then try to cut it down I'm going to post the majority of it. I think there's some good points here and this plays into the twitter discussion I'm starting. And I definitely post more then once or twice a day (most people do in my feed too) but I'm figuring out a way to cut it down to maybe 4 times a day rather then like the 12 I sometimes I have.
I like Twitter as a promotional platform. It is definitely the best for connecting with like-minded souls and getting the word out about anything. I like Facebook too, but I try to be careful about posting too much. Twitter spam is easily scrolled through. On Facebook you want to engage your followers, not bore or annoy them. I usually only post there once or twice a week; once or twice a day if I have a promotion going. Once or twice a day I think is average if you've got new and interesting content. I wouldn't do Facebook giveaways, but doing a blog giveaway and promoting it on Facebook works pretty well.There were a lot of comments and I wasn't able to cover everything, but I think I got the gist of it all here. Also I wanted to point out that some have said they like the schedule feature on Facebook, so we can spread out our Facebook posts throughout the day.
Now that we've read that giant book, let's talk Twitter!
I use Twitter for promotional only. At least for the most part. I use to be far more active on there and would ask random questions or say random things, but I just lost interest in doing that. I either had too many spam replies or no replies at all. Looking through tweets to chat back became 'another thing to do' and it was on the chopping block, I just stopped looking through my feed at all. So chatting with others via Twitter isn't really happening here. At least not often.
However, I use Twitter for promotional reasons. I'm a member of several Triberr tribes, so we all tweet each others blog posts, so I have regular tweets going out for that. I sometimes feel like my feed is just a bunch of spam, but really it's not. I mean, I don 't tweet everything for everyone. I don't usually tweet the cover reveals or book blasts. Mostly I tweet reviews, discussion posts and giveaway's. Does it work? I don't know. I know that I have got some readers from Triberr itself and I have several blogs in my Triberr tribes that I visit regularly. For that reason, I think that it's probably worth it. I feel like I've made some new friends with it. But really, that's more Triberr then Twitter.
So what are your thoughts?


















I'm terrible but I really don't promote. I love my blog, I've had it for 4+ years but I just don't have time to do all that much. When I have contests, I tweet once or twice a day about it but that's about it.
ReplyDeleteI actually love Twitter, lots of people are active and you can search for stuff (books, authors) and see recent reviews, rating and giveaways. Plus as you know I love being a member of Triberr, I have received so much more traffic to not only my Twitter account but my blog as well since joining.
ReplyDeleteI love twitter and more social there and I promote my blog there more than facebook. But as someone who seems to know of many people who are in tribes...it feels like spam on my twitter with all these posts. Granted I did try it and I didn't see a difference with my hits on the blog. But I am getting close to stop following certain followers because its always tribber for promoting posts.
ReplyDeleteI have made some great friends on twitter , and I adore chatting :)
I really don't understand the appeal of Twitter at all so I don't bother with it.
ReplyDeleteI just joined Twitter last month and am having trouble keeping up with it, the blog and Facebook. It seems mostly like tweets about blog posts or giveaways. I do comment to some of my favorite authors and some of my posts get retweeted. I will continue to use it but right now can only do so much which means not going on there as much as I'd like. I'm loving these discussion posts, Candace. Thanks for doing them.
ReplyDeleteI think I've already mentioned that Twitter annoys me. I use it for promotions, I mostly just post links and tweet them at authors and publishers if necessary, but I don't feel the need to tweet my every thought. Except when I crave blueberry muffins. :)
ReplyDeleteI do communicate with a few friends who prefer Twitter there, but I generally avoid it and it's much safer to email me or send me a fb message than tweet at me. I often miss those.
In addition, when one follows many people, tweets come and go so fast that most of them just don't get seen. So if you post a review link, not many people will see it or pay attention to it. My blog does it automatically, but I myself rarely bother.
I don't really use Twitter anymore, not that I did much anyway. I used to try and talk to people and post about things on my blog, but honestly, I don't think it worked much. I don't really pay attention to what other people post on there these days because I just don't have time. I think facebook is a bit easier to read through sometimes; I tend to find posts that way that I want to check out!
ReplyDeleteI go through cycles of being on twitter a lot, and then just disappearing for days. I like engaging with other readers, and having conversations about what we're reading, what TV show twist just blew our collective minds (though I hate spoilers, especially as a West Coaster who gets shows later), etc., or catching up with my favorite authors. But I don't have time to be on it as much as I'd like. It's so much more ephemeral than other social media channels, so while I feel like I miss out on a lot when I disappear from Twitter for days, in the end, I feel like I haven't missed much of substance. I schedule tweets to promote posts, but actually being present on Twitter is a luxury I don't often have during the day. *sigh* I think social media always comes down to time, and where to spend it best, and for me, Twitter is lower on the list than so many other things.
ReplyDeleteI know... I really should do a FB page. Still resisting! LOL
ReplyDeleteI do twitter promos only anymore. I have just too many people on there to follow things easily. I do have another twitter page where I mostly have people I've conversed with. However, that has fallen by the wayside as well. I suck at social media right now. LOL
I have had my FB and Twitter accounts since day one. My blog keeps track of where the hits come from and believe it or not more hits are coming these days from Twitter. I would have guessed FB but like you mention the posts don't show up in everyone's feeds and there is so much crap on FB these days it is hard to wade through it. FB is becoming more and more frustrating. I thought it would be a valuable tool , but not so much anymore. Twitter brings lots more hits to my blog. I have definitely seen a jump since I joined Triberr. I just left a tribe, the one you are in because I noticed that only a few bloggers are actively tweeting posts daily. I am in Kimba's tribe and that one everyone participates or Kimba kicks them out. I have found that only doing one tribe is enough and it is so much easier for me to do it rather than two. I too only tweet posts that I feel aren't spam, no cover reveals or book blasts etc. I don't have a time these days to spend on Twitter chatting. I am having a hard time keeping up with life and my blog so I have to cut back on the social in order to read an be with my kids. One thing you forgot to mention in your post is that Facebook at any time can mark a blog as spam and you can't post links for it on your Facebook account. The bloggers this has happened to, like Ali for instance have no recourse to get the spam label removed, I know because I tried to help. FB has no customer support and it is ridiculous.
ReplyDeleteI usually use Twitter for random updates and use Tweetdeck to schedule posts for the afternoon/evening crowd since most people aren't up at midnight, lol.
ReplyDeleteTwitter is more interesting than Facebook in my humble opinion - you see the weirdest things for some reason.
I guess it's because I'm in multiple communities so I speak more often. O_o And it tends to work out than others social networks aside from StumbleUpon... but that's just stumbling around the web..?
~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts
I use Twitter to promote my blog and uplift others, and to share blogger love. Occasionally I will share thoughts or ask questions and interact, sometimes it is good, and I have wonderful conversations and other times I feel like an idiot talking to myself. I get a lot of traffic from twitter, and my triberr tribe helps with that. Unlike Heidi I tweet all of my members tweets, unless it offends me for some odd reason, simply because I am the tribe leader and feel I must.
ReplyDeleteI still haven't made Facebook page for our blog. I've been planing to but quite honestly I use my facebook profile only to get info for my classes mostly. We have a group there and people post all the newest info. For the twitter I do have it and actually tweet about posts but that also isn't very popular. Honestly if you're not going and leave comments on other people's blogs not thousand followers on FB will help you.
ReplyDeleteGreat discussion girls :)
I set up a FB page about a week ago for my blog and I feel weird about it. I honestly have NO idea what I'm doing when it comes to blog promotion, and I try not to tweet too much as well. I just feel like I'm spamming people I suppose? I'm still just starting out really, so the whole process is daunting yet feels ridiculous at the same time lol I can't even explain it.
ReplyDeleteG+ seems to be getting more popular. I'm debating setting that up with my screen name (I have a personal G+ account but rarely use it), not sure if Google would go for that though, if they'd make me change it or not...I should find out.
I love twitter though. Just to keep up with news and things, not necessarily book blogs (though I do follow quite a few!) when people post too much about one thing I mute them for a while *ahem*
Haven't heard of Triberr before...I think I'll have to check it out :)
- Wattle @ Whimsical Nature
I'm terrible at the social media thing, but mostly when it comes to twitter. So I mostly only use it for promotions too. I like to scroll down every now and then to see what other people are you to, I'm not big on starting conversation.
ReplyDeleteI have made a FB books but sadly I have an easier time of getting followers on twitter then FB at the same time, twitter feels irrelevant. Sometimes if I ask a question no one answers, even with over 500 followers
ReplyDeleteI commented on your post a few weeks back about the amount of time you spend on social media. Personally I rarely log on to FB & Twitter to chat. I know it sounds snobbish but I'm really not that very social. As is I'm already bogged down with reviews, tours and the like and adding an active social media to the equation on top of that is too much work for a hobby.
ReplyDeleteI personally like to visit blogs, like yours, and leave comments. Like you, the blog's twitter is mainly for Tribberr now and the occasional chitchat with people. Facebook I just do promo although I've been thinking of doing cover reveals there instead of in the blog. I'm just getting so lazy composing posts doing in on FB is less time consuming.
Overall, I'm a lazy blogger and semi-anti-social at that. I personally prefer blog to blog interactions like this but I do understand the value of FB and Twitter. But like I said, I only have to much time in a day and I don't really want to spend the majority of it in front of the computer. But great tips, Candace!
I'm so bad at incorporating social media in to my blogging-I have my posts automatically tweeted as well as books I read on twitter and then I will tweet for giveaway entries. That's it for twitter. I pretty much only comment on other blogs-that's probably what I'm most comfortable with and I can fit it in my schedule. You are amazing to do all that you do in the blogging arena!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Triberr. I've definitely seen a difference in traffic since I joined that. I really really like Twitter. I feel like people talk to me on there and it's so easy to promote my posts and talk bookish things in general. I made a Facebook page for my blog, but then I decided I didn't really want it. Then out of no where people started "liking" my page, so I decided I may as well use it. I just really don't see Facebook as being all that useful for my blog... but we'll see. Cool topic!!!! I've learned a lot over these past few posts youve done :)
ReplyDeleteOh and I forgot... you can talk to AUTHORS on Twitter!! It's good just for that!
ReplyDeleteI actually use twitter for my own personal purpose. I used to be a Triberr member but I've been getting complaints with the shared posts that some of the followers see. Not so much as the content but more so of frequency (they accuse me of spamming). I left Triberr because of it.
ReplyDeleteAs for the correlation between Twitter and traffic to my blog. I don't really see much difference nowadays. I can be honest enough so say, Triberr was a bit of a help.
I don't use Twitter a whole lot for my blog. I haven't ever seen any traffic come from it. I would like to say something about facebook (I missed that chat). For some damn reason right after I started my blog.. maybe like 6 months? Suddenly facebook blocked my blog as spam! So I can't post any links on there from my blog. I have constantly emailed them at least once a month for about 1 1/2 years .. no response and no one fixed it. It's like talking to a wall. So I can't even use facebook for networking. Such a bummer. I don't know if someone marked my blog link as spam once maybe? I only posted from it a couple times on my personal page. Oh well... I have moved on.
ReplyDeleteI do enjoy twitter to get news. I also have contacted many authors through twitter and most respond. About G+... I hate that blogger tries to make you use G+ as a commenting system. Luckily my blogger blog has a the original commenting system. If I run into a blog that has G+ for their commenting system I just leave and don't leave a comment. I don't understand why my comments on blogs with G+ have to be public. And it tried to use my whole real name... I am not comfortable with that. Dang google trying to take over the internet!!
As I mentioned in a different comment to your other social media post, I don't really use twitter. Never did because I don't have the time to do it. Also, I don't understand how it works:)
ReplyDeleteI forward the post tweets from Triberr for other blogs post and my own. I like to go on Twitter sometimes, but it very time consuming for me. I have participated with some Author Twitter chats and had a great time. However, I still prefer to use FB, just because I find it easier to interact with my friends. i think I just get to see more from my friends on there, it has taken a while to get a little more social on there as well. I can say that I like Twiiter so much better than Google + though. Now I do tweet during Dracula on Fridays! He's yummy, so I can't help it. :)
ReplyDeleteFor a long time, I neglected Twitter and just used it to auto-tweet blog posts, etc. I'm getting back into it though and find that it does help my blog because things are getting retweeted and I'm making friends.
ReplyDeleteI tweet about completely random things and sometimes I get responses, sometimes I don't.
I've been getting better using twitter and I kind of split my time chatting with people and promoting (for example through Triberr). I share most of the random posts I end up reading that interest me on twitter just because why not.
ReplyDeleteI used to give Twitter more time, and didn't really get many referrals despite that. Lately, I haven't even logged on. Actually, I don't even know my password. I have to re-figure it out everytime. So I'm one of those that's given up on twitter and think it's useless. I just feel like I don't really connect with people on it.
ReplyDeleteI love twitter and I have found some of my closest blogging friends there. I can't remember how we all connected but we have a group and regularly all read the same book and tweet out our reactions. So much fun.
ReplyDeleteFor promoting my blog, twitter is by far my biggest win when it comes to social media. And I also often click on other posts from twitter as well.
And another fav thing about twitter is that I can interact with authors, I love that.
I know that FB is one of the most popular social sites, but I don't even have personal profile.
ReplyDeleteI know that having a FB blog page could help you out to connect with blogging community and followers, but feel like it gets attention away from the actual blog. I know how my sister behaves on FB - it's all about pretty pictures, music videos and funny gifs. If there's something longer to read, she usually skip it becuse she doesn't want to "waste time".
I use Twitter for promotion - sharing links for new posts and giveaways - and sometimes to get in touch with authors. They usually respond there and not on the actual blog post (it's understandable), but I like to post my impressions about book I read at the moment and most of them are willing to talk to me when I do so.
My FB page doesn't get much traffic either. I get more traffic on the blog, twitter or intsagram.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I agree with you about the FB page and having to pay, I don't think we should either.
ReplyDeleteAnother great post Candace. I am clueless about Twitter. My posts automatically tweet and I've noticed it is great for giveaway promotion. I try to go on at least once a day and do some retweets. It is not my favorite but I guess it is necessary. It seems that I need to learn what Triberr tribes are.
ReplyDelete