Thursday, November 21, 2013

Discussion: Social Media and Blogging- Lets Talk Pinterest!

A few weeks ago I kicked off the discussion series about Social Media and Blogging with a discussion about g+ and whether it's a useful tool.  Then 3 weeks ago I did a recap of everyone's thoughts and started a discussion about Facebook, and then 2 weeks ago I did a discussion about Twitter.  This week I'll do a recap with everyone's thoughts about Twitter and then move on to discussing Pinterest.

  • For the most part this one is easy.  Some love twitter and spend a lot of time there and swear by it.  Others just promote their posts. And some just don't understand the appeal and mostly stay away.
  • Some made a good point, it's nice for talking to authors.  Personally I really agree with this even though I have been horrible about doing it lately due to time.  But tagging an author when tweeting their review is likely to get you a thank you and possibly a further comment (only tag for positive reviews, it's only polite) and it's always fun to share photos of their book and whatnot.  The authors are always appreciate of whatever mention you may do of their book.
  • Sophie mentioned she likes to schedule tweets using tweetdeck. I thought I would mention that in case someone didn't know you can do that.  I do like that idea of scheduling things through the day.  I do that with facebook.
  • Once again, the time thing came up.  No one has enough time for everything so it's a balancing act.  Many prefer to just use that time reading blogs.  I'm one of them I guess.  I spend more time reading blogs and commenting then I am at doing anything else 'social'. 
  • Twitter is great for giveaway promotion.  This I definitely agree with.  I can see giveaway entries skyrocket after a tweet, so this has been proven.

I hope I didn't miss any other important comments.  It was really a total mix of thoughts, but I guess that's not too surprising.  Different things work for different people and that's definitely being made clear in these series of posts.

Today I want to talk about Pinterest.  Pinterest is still pretty new to me, at least as a promotion platform.  I pin my posts, and have a 'read in 2013' board as well as 'CBB Book Promotions' board where I pin anything related to the business as well as the bloggers who post for the tour stops.

My issue is that I have no idea if this works, or makes any difference at all.  I don't see Pinterest showing in my stats as a place that people are coming from.  But I have been told it has potential to be one of the best places to promote.  Is there a trick to it?

Also, I'm wondering if people get annoyed with seeing book covers and stuff instead of photos or other things? Maybe this isn't an issue at all.  You can choose a variety of people to follow and see an assortment go up.  I don't know.  I'm not sure what to add to this discussion, but I'd like to know your thoughts on Pinterest.  Do you check out posts you find on Pinterest?  Have you have had success with it?  Do you use it at all?  Do you hate it?  Just let it all out, tell us what you think of it and any Tips or Tricks you have!

{Edit: Coincidentally I noticed quite a few people repinned my book covers AS I was writing up this post!  So, I guess some people do repin the covers, if it's something they want on a board of theirs.}

Oh, and be sure to go Follow me on Pinterest.  Yep, gotta get that self promotion in there.  {I'll follow you back.}

Edit: I want to add in that I do love Pinterest.  I can spend hours on there looking at the photos.  The travel photography, or pictures from around the world, are my favorite.  When I'm depressed it's a good place to go to pull myself out of a funk.  But because it's a time suck (seriously) I don't allow myself on there often at all.  

30 comments:

  1. I am obsessed with Pinterest! I think I spend more time on there than anywhere else browsing everything from books, recipes, clothes etc. I don't use it to promote my blog though.

    I'm now following you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! I do like Pinterest for other stuff a lot but because it's such a time suck I limit my time and only go on once in a great while.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the Twitter update. Glad to know I'm not alone in preferring to read blogs. I'm not on Pinterest. I'm drawing the line and am just going to be on blogs and try to get on Twitter and Facebook more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With Pinterest, you can follow a particular person but you can also unfollow certain boards that you don't like (I always unfollow the baby boards because it doesn't apply at all). So, if you have a board where you post a ton of book covers and someone doesn't want to see that, they can just unfollow. No biggie. I use Pinterest for inspiration -- blog stuff, yearbook/layout/design stuff, writing & reading inspiration, workout, stuff like that. I'm super-visual so it definitely works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I usually do. I usually just follow the boards that interest me.

      Delete
  4. I confess I have never even been on Pinterest let alone used it so I really have no clue how well it works or doesn't work although I have heard tons of people talking about it, but usually, not about books. More for crafts and recipes and such.

    I would be really interested to hear (read) what others think about it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a fun site and I like it for inspiration. It can pull you out a depression just seeing beautiful places and stuff.

      Delete
  5. I don't use pinterest. I only use it to fin crafty stuff or ideas. But I don't have an account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The covers from my book review board get re-pinned quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny enough, after prepping this I noticed several people repinned my book covers I had pinned yesterday. I don't usually notice much repinning of book cover, just occasionally. So it was weird. But very cool.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this post, Candace! I've been wondering if I should get on Pinterest too. What do put on the board besides book covers? Also what's the difference between Pinterest and Instagram. They both seem the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very different!!!

      I think for you to understand pinterest you'd have to get on it. You make different boards for different subjects. So if you cook you could have a board with recipes you find, if you like exercise you could have a board with different workout routines. I like the ones with travel photography the best. I also like the style boards and bookish items.

      Instagram is just pictures you take on your phone or ipod and it's more random stuff and not usually very professional (though there are some that do get more professional). But it's just OUR photos, with Pinterest generally isn't our own. It's for inspiration really. And it's a nice organizer for our ideas.

      Delete
  8. I don't know anything about Pinterest Candace! I have an account and I follow some people, but I've never actually pinned anything or spent any real time there. There's that word again, time. I'm more familiar with Twitter, and like you mentioned above, I like the conversational element to it, so that's where all my social media time goes. Other than that I just comment. I'm kind of a blogging hermit outside of my core group of blogging friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest can be a MAJOR time suck! It IS really inspirational though. I love to travel through others photos.

      Delete
  9. I don't have Pinterest and I wont add another card on my deck. I do love seeing the photos though but ill just keep it to the minimum. Thanks for the recapture, I'll have to check out tweetdeck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest is a time suck. But I like it for when I'm depressed and don't feel like doing anything. Sometimes it pulls me out of the funk!

      Delete
  10. I forward my post to Pinterest, and don't really see people coming straight from there. But I have gained people who follow my boards that have to with the site and a couple of my other boards that have to do with books. I like to go an there and look at all the pins, and sometimes find things that I wasn't looking for but just adore, so I guess it's all worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. Even if we aren't getting much traffic from it, it is a fun site. And one thing is that those pins are there forever. So in 10 years someone might click over... You never know.

      Delete
  11. I don't really use Pintrest as a social media for my blogging. I use it to get recipes. Haha! It's the one plus I can go to to get wonderful recipes. Plus, I adore the quotes board.
    I don't normally follow bloggers on there, but I guess it could be useful in a way. I'm not sure if it's an efficient method for promoting posts though.
    Great topic, Candace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use Pinterest to collect book covers. I have categories for my own amusement, like "YA book covers with feet" or whatever. Not sure it drives traffic to the blog or my posts. My rule is I do it if I enjoy it. So no vlogging for me :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't really use my pinterest for promotion... but I did add a couple of boards for giveaways. I usually use it to keep track of crafts I either want to try or just keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I post book covers and a link to my reviews and I do get a few hits from Pinterest. I don't have many followers, but I don't put much time into it either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Pinterest! I try not to get on too often either. I could spend all day on there. As for using it for promotion, I do not have much of an opinion. I pin book covers I like. Sometimes they are attached to a review I or someone else has done and sometimes they are from goodreads. I've never really thought about it much but I guess it could bring some traffic in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pinterest, and find it brings me traffic from readers, authors and publishers. I even have a board for giveaways and for uplifting other blogs I enjoy. I tweet and facebook my pins, and can track those to my blog. Plus it is addicting..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I signed up for someone's blog and they gave me a free ebook on how to market with Pinterest. I haven't read it yet, but I look forward to figuring it out, because I happen to love the time suck that Pinterest is.

    Like you, I don't let myself have too much time on there, but I do find that it is a great creative outlet when I'm running out of ideas to write, or I just need to visualize something obscure. The amount of randomness on that site is incredible, but it's also inspiring. I don't get much marketing off of it, but I don't really do Pinterest for that yet. In the future I will.

    For now, I just use it as a creative 'board' to get my brain flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I use Pinterest for my own personal use. If I had to start a whole new account just for blogging purposes, I think I'd go a little nuts. Personally, I like Pinterest, in fact, some might say I'm a little crazy with it. I have everything organized yet I'm still always looking for ideas. I don't follow accounts of book bloggers, and I've learned that some things are better for Bloglovin' instead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I use Pinterest mostly just for fun. It's hard enough to keep up with twitter and Facebook. I do put book related stuff on their, but mostly just fan-type things. I do use it a lot when searching for pictures for books characters, especially book boyfriend posts. It's great for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pinterest is the one place I have resisted. I barely know how to use G+, Tumblr, FB, Twitter and now BookLikes. I seriously do not need another drain on my time. I honestly do not see myself joining any time in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore Pinterest but I don't really use it for my blog. If someone follows me on twitter and then joins Pinterest, I think they'd have the option to then follow me but I mostly post clothes, recipes, and exercise. It could be a fun way to see more of my personality but I don't really see it being helpful for blog promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry I missed this when I was on vacation, but I love these posts. I'm off and on with Pinterest, sometimes I remember to use it, sometimes I don't. But I do love finding silly pictures and recipes on Pinterest (it's kind of like tumblr for finding those). Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs