Saturday, November 2, 2013

Children's Review: My Yellow Umbrella by Chris Robertson


My Yellow Umbrella by Chris Robertson
Published Oct 15th, 2013 by Xist Publishing
32 pages
Source: Author

It's a beautiful day for a yellow umbrella!
Bright, retro-inspired illustrations accompany a little girl on her dreamy day with a yellow umbrella.
 
My Yellow Umbrella might possibly be the most adorable children's book I have ever read.  I'm so in love with the book that I decided it's going to be this years Christmas gifts for the nieces and nephews.  And I believe I shall buy a paperback copy for our home (I read it on my kindle fire).  I've also considered the possibly of getting the illustrations painted on my walls.  Oh, is that going a little far? I'll settle for just looking at the book. ;)  

The words in the book flow beautifully. It's not exactly rhyming, but it flows like it does.  It's fun to read, and one I wouldn't mind rereading to my children over and over (I hate rereading, so this is a major feat!).  And the illustrations! Like the description says, they are retro-inspired, which is really my style.  So I could just stare at them all day!  They are also full page, filling every square inch with their beauty.  However, the words fit in perfectly and still manage to stand out.  Another thing is that the book gives off this feeling that anything is possible. To dream big and live large.

The question is, did my kids like it?  My 8 year old daughter is a bit old, but I found that she was quite involved in it.  She loved the illustrations and she's a drawer, so she sat down to draw her own version.  Apparently it was inspiring!  My 4 old is a boy and the main character in the story is a girl. However, he seemed really interested in it.  Part of that is because it features an umbrella. My kids use umbrellas at the bus stop and have a bit of a love for them, so this was something he quite enjoyed.  And while he didn't say a lot, he sat through it and paid attention, so I would say it's a win!  

Adorable, quirky, fun and inspiring, My Yellow Umbrella was a total win for this house!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

14 comments:

  1. Aww this one sounds so cute and fun!

    Lovely review. Glad everyone loved it <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a cute and lovely book! I haven't read a children's book in a while, but this could be the one I re-start with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to get this one just so I can look at all the pictures. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable!! I love that the drawings have a vintage feel. Those are some of the best. Looks like a great story to use as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most adorable one you've ever read?! Based on the cute illustrations alone, I totally believe you. :) Must check this one out, I love picture books.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe this sounds adorable, and I love the cover on this. Wonderful review, I want a yellow umbrella :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww that sounds very sweet! love the cover and the fact that the drawings are retro in this one has me very curious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, what an adorable cover! And it sounds like a wonderful story for kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My 6-year-old should enjoy this one a lot. She is a great fan of rain, umbrellas and excellent illustrations so this will probably end up being a huge success with her. Off to see if I can order it right away. :)
    Thanks, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it is child approved then its a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so cute! I've never heard of it before but I'm definitely checking to see if my library owns a copy. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs