Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Review: Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder


Scent of Magic (Healer #2) by Maria V. Snyder
Paperback, 414 pages
Published: December 18th, 2012 by Harlequin Mira
Source: Amazon Vine

Hunted, Killed—Survived?

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.

First of all, I'm not sure what to label this book.  In stores it's sold in the adult section and as far as I know it's considered adult.  But when I called the first one an adult book I had a whole slew of people shouting that no, it's YA.  Being as Avry is 20 something, I would say that would make it adult but really, the series is completely appropriate for YA readers.  So it's whatever you want it to be, I'll just avoid labeling it this time around.

It's no secret that I love fantasy books and while this series is my first foray into Maria V. Snyder's fantasy world (worlds?) it's definitely a world I love to read about.  I wouldn't say it quite WOW's me as much as some fantasy, but I do enjoy (nearly) every moment I'm reading it.

I can definitely say the characters in these books really stand out to me.  Avry has really grown a lot from the first book, she's very strong and brave and can endure just about anything.  She has gone through a lot but she still has a very strong sense of right and wrong.  She's been betrayed a few times but she doesn't let that harden her heart, she still lets people in.

Kerrick felt a bit more flat to me in this book.  I loved him in the second half of the first book book but while we do get pieces from his POV in this one, and he's honorable and good and there's nothing that makes me not like him, I think I needed more interaction of him and Avry for him to really wow me.  However he's still a great character to read about, I just think he could be a touch MORE.  I do have to mention that I ADORE his magic.  If I could have magic, I'd want his!

All the other characters play their roles very well. There are a lot of them but yet they are all so different that they really stand out to me.  They have strong personalities and individual voices.  It's always a pleasure meeting new characters and deciding whether they are bad or good.  And what's even better, sometimes there's just not a clear line.  Sometimes it's just bad and worse, and you have to choose one side.  Sometimes the bad guy becomes the good guy.  That's one of my favorite things with fantasy.

The world in these books is great, I really enjoy learning more about it.  One issue I had with this book is that so much of it is in one place and learning battle maneuvers, etc.  Surprisingly I never really felt bored, but it still moved at a slower pace much of the time.

While there was a pretty good conclusion for this one, not an actual ending, but ending this present bit of issues, there's one thing that happened at the end that leaves you saying WHAT?!  So I finished the book silently screaming.  I wouldn't say it's a cliffhanger, but yet it sort of is.  I'll definitely be VERY eager for the next book!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

19 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it.

    I have yet to read her books, but I hope to do so in the near future because I only heard great things about this author.

    Andreea

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I enjoyed this story (and I liked it a bit more than the first one), Kerrick did seem a bit more flat. And a lot of people seemed to walk all over him! Get a backbone, Kerrick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would like this. I have enjoyed Snyder's other work before. I will have to see if my library is carrying it yet. :) Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really curious about this series Candace! I like that Avry is a bit older, I always tend to gravitate toward books with slightly older MCs, and now I'm hugely curious about Kerrick's magic. I want to know what's so awesome about it that you want it for yourself over any other type of magic in the books. It's a shame he falls just a touch flat in this second book, but maybe he'll really shine in the next one! Really fantastic review:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one yet and I really need to because I love LOVED her Study Series!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this series! This author rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THAT ENDING KILLED ME! OH MY GOD! I was crying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was surprised to see this in the adult section too. I still haven't read this one, but I loved the first book. And it felt very YA. But she is 20, so...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hated that ending. And while Kerrick fell a bit flat for me as well, I liked him better in the second book than the first. I thought this one was YA. Hm... NA? *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read these yet but need to, I really enjoyed the Study series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eh, just call it New Adult xD Honestly, I read her other series and some parts were a bit racy for YA anyway. I think they can be read by a large audience. I LOVE fantasy worlds, especially when they have great world building. Great review :)

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any book that ends with the reader silently screaming is typically a great book. :) It has a great cover. I'll definitely consider reading it. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. haven't read it but it's definitely been on my list


    famous landscape

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. This sounds like another good series to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh i really ant to read this series. I think it is an adult book (just because of the age) but it appeals to YA readers (that is the best way I can explain it). I also love fantasy and I love character growth.

    awesome review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so sad that Avry and Kerrick were separated for most of this book as I love their chemistry but I'm still glad to get more of these characters-so excited to finish the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Maria V. Snyder...she's actually one of my favorite authors. I first discovered her books while listening to her Study series, which is narrated by Gabra Zackman, but I love this series, too. And I agree, I think these are totally appropriate for young adults.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! I also have this on my tbr list! So I hope to read this soon! :)

    Arra
    Style | Reader
    http://arraabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a wonderful blog post. Here you’ll find the latest and most accurate information on the best mens cologne. Best Mens Cologne HQ website is solely dedicated to men’s to make them aware about to choose best men’s cologn that is mostly like by every woman. Thank you for sharing valuable information.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs