Friday, July 19, 2013

Young Adult Review: OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu


OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu
Hardcover, 352 pages
Expected Publication: July 23rd, 2013 by Simon Pulse
Source: ALAMW

Bea, 16, kisses Beck in the dark after easing his first panic attack. "Muscles. Shaved head .. The bluest eyes I've ever seen". Then Dr Pat puts her in group therapy with Beck. He makes her feel almost normal. But she stalks musical couple Austin and Sylvia. She fills scrapbooks with detailed notes of them, of accidents, of dangerous "quiet" people.

Bea is one of the best characters I have read about this year.  She far surpasses most of the characters I've read about and I found myself absolutely adoring her.  Yes, she's very, very weird and strange and pretty much as awkward as you can get.  She spurts things out of her mouth because she has to, the pressure builds and she must say this particular thing, so things just come out that are just plain wrong.  She thinks absurd things, but she does it humorously, which led to lots, and lots of laughter from me.  Yes, she has OCD and it's serious, it really is, but the way she thinks, the way she words things and does things is just so, so funny.  Some examples of her crazy: She drives at 20 miles an hour along a highway with her hazards on absolutely terrified she's going to hurt someone. To run them over or something. And then stopping to check, just to check she didn't hit anyone.  Or when she's driving and sees a child and she just knows she going to hit her and she just creeps along so slowly the girl is actually getting ahead of her but then the girl turns, but did she turn? So Bea must drive around until she finds her to make sure she didn't run her over.  This is just one of Bea's compulsions.  Maybe even the most normal one.  At least the one that gets her in the least trouble.  Another is that she's terrified she's going to kill someone.  She doesn't want any knives or sharp objects near her because she just knows she will kill someone. Bea's other compulsion is stalking a couple and it's this one that had me cringing the most.  It was so, so hard reading about it because I wanted to help her!  I wanted to help her get over this.  I don't know if I fully understand how someone can be like that, to actively do something that they know is wrong, that could ruin their life even, but not be able to stop.  Now, I could really go on and on about her, I really enjoyed getting to know her in this book and it was a pleasure being by her side even though it had me cringing for her and the situations she got herself into.

Now Beck is a mess as well and in some ways they are perfect for each other.  At least they can understand the others compulsions.  Maybe not the particular compulsions, but the act of having to do something, they understand that.  Beck was a bit harder for me to connect with.  I had a hard time picturing a guy named Beck as bulked up.  I kept picturing a nerdy guy. I never really got over that.  But personality wise he was pretty good.  Not a wow, but he was sweet.  He was pretty present in the book but yet I feel like I barely know him, so I guess for me he was kind of a weak point.  But not a major negative.

I really enjoyed this book a lot.  It's very different and I actually felt like I learned something while being entertained.  OCD is not something new to me, I have struggled with my own compulsions and my 4 year old is borderline OCD.  He's not too bad yet, but he's showing the signs.  So I think this book was an eye opener for me.  To make sure I keep up on things and not let them get out of hand.  Being a germaphobe is one thing, but washing constantly is not quit necessary.
Disclosure: I received this book at ALAMW free of charge.  All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

23 comments:

  1. I was really hoping that this one was good so I am so happy to see 4 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting book! I have a little of OCD myself. I keep checking doors multiple times, faucets, and other things, although I know that I closed them. I hate it, but I cannot stop doing it.

    Glad I am not the only one:)

    Andreea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, poor Bea! That's so hard -- but she sounds like a fantastic character because of her OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read a review of this one over at Alluring Reads and she really enjoyed it as well Candace! Bea sounds like an extraordinary character, really layered and complex and I just can't wait to meet her. I have some OCD tendencies myself, so I think I'll be able to connect really well with Bea. It's a shame Beck was a little hard to connect to, but it doesn't sound like that really detracted from your overall enjoyment. Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been debating if I should read this book or not and you just convinced me to with your great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bea really was a well done character and I learned a lot from her too. Very realistic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I read a similar story like this. Can't remember the name of the title. So glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the second review I've read for OCD Love Story today, and both make me want to read it. I'm always anxious while reading stories with OCD, b/c it always makes my tendencies come out.
    Great review, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bea does sound like a great character. Being OCD myself, I think I would definitely like to pick this one up. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice review! This does sound like a pretty good book. I think it would be difficult to read in ways though, because I'm fairly OCD myself.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't really heard much about this book but it sounds like a good read. I don't like that Beck was hard to connect to, but it looks like it didn't really hurt the book as a total. Hm... might have to really check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was really looking forward to this book and now even more! I love unusual and outstanding characters and Bea seems like an incredible characters. She sounds weird but cute and I love such characters! totally getting a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the sound of Bea but I'm a bit sad that the love interest isn't all that developed especially if the title involves love story. I think I'll look for it at my library. Have a great weekend, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm reading this free right now on PulseIt. I like it too and being OCD myself can empathize. My quirks are much different though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bea sounds delightful and refreshing despite her OCD tendencies, I have a few quirks that are OCD and I love that it was delivered in a funny way. Great review Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I LOVE the sound of Bea. She just seems so real, and I like that this books deals with serious issues in a really nice way like this. Sounds like a cute and humorous book! :)

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a really fun book. I'd like to meet Bea. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my, Bea sounds complicated and messy and entirely too adorable and I think I want to meet her as soon as I finish reading the book I'm holding now. :) I think I'd like Bea a lot. I'm a bot of a germophobe, a bit socially awkward and more than a little weird. It'll be so easy to relate.
    Thanks for sharing, Cancade.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed this book a lot too although sometimes it was so difficult to read through Bea's compulsions especially when I could see they weren't going to end well for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm eager to start this. It's coming up soon on my review pile. I always enjoy when I can really relate to a story, so I can understand how you liked that aspect and it made it almost a learning tool for you too. Glad to hear you took so much away from this story! I hope I can say the same after I've read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review!! I really want to read this book eventually. I am a total germaphobe, but not to the point of compulsiveness. My daughter has a few things that she is a little compulsive about, but I don't think it will be an issue. It sounds like this book was educational as well as a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so so glad that you liked this too. I do agree that it's different and I'm scared it's not going to be for all readers. But I hope people pick it up anyway. There's so much heart in there, and it's really just. Fantastic. :)

    Thanks for sharing your own personal connection too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really wanted to read this already, but your review is making me want to run out and buy a copy tonight! Bea sounds like a complicated character, but there is no doubt I'll be laughing at some of her actions and the things she says. Beck sounds totally sweet. I think this sounds like such an original and fascinating story, I can't wait to read it. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs