Saturday, July 6, 2013

Audiobook Review: Happy, Happy, Happy by Phil Robertson


Happy, Happy, Happy by Phil Robertson
Narrated by Al Robertson
Audio CD Published May 7th, 2013 by Simon & Schuster Audio
Source: Publisher

This no-holds-barred autobiography chronicles the remarkable life of Phil Robertson, the original Duck Commander and Duck Dynasty star, from early childhood through the founding of a family business.Life was always getting in the way of Phil Robertson’s passion for duck hunting.

An NFL-bound quarterback, Phil made his mark on Louisiana Tech University in the 1960s by playing football and completing his college career with a master’s degree in English. But Phil’s eyes were not always on the books or the ball; they were usually looking to the sky.

Phil grew up with the dream of living the simple life off the land like his forebears, but he soon found himself on a path to self-destruction—leasing a bar, drinking too much, fighting, and wasting his talents. He almost lost it all until he gave his life to God. And then everything changed.

Phil’s incredible story tells how he followed a calling from God and soon after invented a duck call that would begin an incredible journey to the life he had always dreamed of for himself and his family. With great love for his country, his family, and his maker, Phil has finally found the ingredients to the “good life” he always wanted.

I still remember the first time we watched Duck Dynasty on television.  We were on our summer vacation and watching TV and randomly stumbled on it. We were planning on heading out to do some other activities but found ourselves watching episode after episode.  We couldn't seem to tear our eyes away!  Eventually we bought the first two seasons and watched them in their entirety in a weekend.  Our whole family just loves that show! 

I was really curious to find out more background about the family and about Duck Commander so I was excited to give this one a listen.  I listened to it while cleaning the house and since it was on the CD player there were bits and pieces I'd miss at times if I had to run out of the room.  It was fine though because of the way the story is told missing little pieces wasn't a big deal. 

First up was learning about Phil's childhood and all that stuff was really fascinating to me.  Learning about how they lived and what they did kept me rapt with attention.  When it got into more of his adult years I was shocked at how bad they had things at times and the low periods he went through.  There was even a bit from Kay talking about how she felt in those low periods.  I think watching them go from so low to raising themselves up higher and higher made me root for them so much more.  Seeing how they got the land where they live now to be commercial fishermen to eventually deciding he was going to make millions making duck calls (and no one believed him!) was great.  I knew he did achieve those goals so when they were all 'whatever' about it I was excited cause I knew he'd prove them wrong! 

In all this was a pretty fascinating story for me.  It's not something I'd normally care about but I have found myself very interested in this family.  I know it's because they are just entertaining to watch (probably because they just live so differently from us and are downright hilarious) so finding out more background was something I was really interested in. 

The narration was good.  At first I was sad that Phil wasn't narrating.  He did the forward, but then Al (one of his sons) took over.  I felt like Phil's voice made it all so much more authentic.  But as it went on I realized that Al was doing a great job and I fell into the narration without any issues.  His voice was clear and easy to understand.  I found myself not having any issues at all and not really missing the fact that Phil wasn't narrating.

Disclosure: I received this audiobook for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't ever watched this, I don't have cable. *shrugs*. But it is really popular where I live, our Walmart, and every other store has it everywhere. I might just have to give in check it out.;) Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great. I love Duck Dynasty! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this tv series, so very funny!
    I am sad Phil didn't narrate but I am so glad it was still a really good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really good book! My 7yo is a huge fan of the series, and is always telling me I should get this book. I'm glad you enjoyed, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never watched this series, and will have to ask my son if he has, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duck Dynasty. Love this show. And cool review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I catch Duck Dynasty with my husband every once in awhile...pretty funny stuff. But, wow, I had no idea Phil was so accomplished, outside of Duck Commander. I have a new-found respect for the guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That makes me laugh. I can't believe they have an autobiography of the Duck Dynasty guy on audiobook. Good for you for posting reviews across the spectrum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs