Thursday, July 4, 2013

Young Adult Review: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz


Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Hardcover, 359 pages
Published: Feb. 21st, 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Purchased

A lyrical novel about family and friendship from critically acclaimed author Benjamin Alire Sáenz.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

I have a confession to make, I don't really like award winning books.  Okay, now that just sounds horrible.  But there are quite a few books I read because they won awards and I just didn't 'get' them.  I knew they were probably beautiful and well written and deep and all that junk, but I didn't click with them.  When I ordered this one I didn't know it had won awards but I opened it up and it was covered with award stickers (hiding that gorgeous cover!) and I went from being really excited about the book, to be slightly concerned that maybe it wouldn't be the book for me.  The thing is... it did work for me.

First of all, it read like an award winning book.  It was powerful and deep and beautiful, but this was one I connected with.  Ari has a lot of deep thoughts, he thinks and thinks and thinks.  He wants, no needs to know what happened to his big brother, he wants to know what happened to his father in the war, he doesn't understand everything he feels and he denies it, even to himself. He spends lots of time alone, with his thoughts.  Then he meets Dante.  Dante and him become good friends even though Dante is very different from him.  Dante says exactly what he thinks when he thinks it.  This sometimes annoys Ari, but it's clear he loves Dante anyway.  They are both different boys, strange even, and while they are different from each other, they do have this in common.

Initially I wasn't sure that this was GLBT, but at some point it becomes clear that it is.  Dante isn't shy about it once he realizes it, but it doesn't become a central theme to the book, at least not really... it's not obvious because it's about so much more.  We finally get more answers regarding this and as we watch their friendship change and grow.

This is a meandering, slow paced novel but somehow I found myself not wanting to put it down.  I was anxious to get answers to the few things we wonder about, but I was just enjoying watching Ari as he grew as a person, as he starts to realize things, as he gets answers and moves forward and eventually just lets things go and finds what is truly in his heart.  Another things I liked is the characters are Mexican American and they don't fit the stereotype.  This is something else that discussed in the book, and I liked how it was different, how we get two boys who are not defined by their heritage or by what expectations may be.  Also, the parents of both of them are very present in the book.  We see them a lot and I loved the relationship between everyone.  How everyone grew close as they went through different difficult times.

This is a YA contemporary book that I highly recommend.  It's beautifully wrote and powerfully spoke.  It may be a slower paced novel, but it's one that will really stick with you through the years.
I want to thank Maja from The Nocturnal Library, she recommended it when reading one of my other reviews and she was right, I really enjoyed it!

On another note, I'm traveling back today and should be back to reading and commenting on other blogs next week.  It won't be quite up to normal because I'll have so much catching up to do, but I WILL start visiting you all back soon, I promise! 

Happy 4th of July to those of you in the US!

15 comments:

  1. LOL, kind of reminds me of half the movies that win Oscar or Emmy's, a lot of them I just didn't "get". Glad you did enjoy this one!

    Happy 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy this one. Have a great 4th of July too!

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I am so glad you ended up enjoying it. I agree that them being gay or not is not central to the story, although it is omportant, but it's more about family and friendship and communication and love than anything else.
    This one has a really special place in my heart and it worked even better on audio.
    Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I have the same feeling when someone foists an award-winning book into my hands! It's sad but, yeah, not my thing usually. But yay for a book that swept you up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that it worked for you despite the award winningness. I know what you mean about that. I feel like that about most classic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candace, I am so with you on award winning books! Most of the time, I think to myself, "What is wrong with me? Why didn't I like this award-winning book?!?" I'm so glad you loved this one because I'm really interested in picking it up. I love beautifully written stories, and the character development with the new character Dante seem really great. The different aspects with Mexican American and a little bit of LGBT intrigues me even more. Gorgeous review, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this sounds like such a good read. I don't often purposely read award winning books, but I know I've read some. I don't pick them for that reason. :) This does sound like a great character growth book and I really enjoy those! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally on the same boat with you on award winning books. Basicially it's the same with Oscar Movies ...
    This one however does sounds pretty good and very deep! But it sure has lots of issues and problems it taggles in one book and I am not sure if that is too much for me

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good powerful written contemporary. I think I may like thisone very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right! That is a beautiful cover. It sounds like a great book. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really loved the audiobook of this. The narrator was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I tend not to like award winning books-the judges obviously have different priorities from me. Still I love the font and the way the cover looks so I'm willing to give it a shot if I can find it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that cover! I wasn't all that interested in this one, but your review may have just swayed me into picking up the audio. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard so much wonderful praise for this book, I really need to pick it up. Normally slow books have my mind wandering, but it sounds like this one will suck me in completely. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this, and that you finally found an award winner that works for you. :-) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the same feeling when it comes to award-winning books. It's heavy and so deep that sometimes I really don't see how people love them. Happens to me a lot with Coehlo books. At least, you get to connect with this one. That's all the readers need to appreciate reading such a 'heavy' read. :)

    Arra
    Style | Reader
    http://arraabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs