Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Children's Review: Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe: Class Pets by Susan Nees

A reminder, today is day 2 of the Once Upon a Read-a-Thon.  I'll try to do an update post later in the day but as of now (Monday afternoon) I don't have much to say.  I haven't had much time to read as I still have my family visiting.  But they leave today and I hope to sit down and read like mad for the next two days.  
For now, don't forget that today's challenges are at:

For more details or to link up your own goals post, check out my goals post.

Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe #2: Class Pets by Susan Nees
Hardcover, 80 pages
Expected publication: June 1st, 2013
Ages: 5-7
Source: Friend

Missy's second adventure is just as fun-filled as the first one!

This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line, Branches. Aimed at 5- to 7-year-olds, this line of books is for children who are just starting to read independently. With easy-to-read text, high-interest content, fast-paced plots, and illustrations on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and stamina. Branches books help readers grow!

Missy has BIG plans for the class pet . . .well, for three of them! She plans to have a fashion show, create a circus, and even put the pets in their very own parade. But a mean new girl in class, Tiffany, says she's taking the pets home with her instead. Missy enlists the help of her trusty friend, Oscar, to come up with a stellar plan. Just like with everything else, Missy takes the class pets home the only way she knows how--the super duper royal deluxe way! This is the second book in this humorous, full-color early chapter book series.
My 8 year old daughter's thoughts:
This book is about missy.  It's easy to read.  I really like it.  It's like a comic book.  She's always busy. She tries to find stuff for the animals.  She's fun.  I liked the pictures.  I liked the characters in the book, too.  Missy said please.  But her mom said no at first. But then her mom said yes.

It didn't add a lot of details so I really liked it, but not really, really liked it.

My thoughts:
This is very early chapter book reading.  It has more pictures than words and has a lot of dialogue, kind of comic book style.  It's adorable!  As an adult I enjoyed reading it and read the whole thing in under 10 minutes.  My daughter read it in a short period of time as well but the target age is 5-7 so she's above the reading level, but she still really loved it.
The pages have full color illustrations that are adorable.  We did read the advance readers copy and the later pictures weren't yet colored, but since the early ones were I assume they'll all be full color in the final book.

I recommend this one for girls who are just starting to read chapter books, or even earlier (for an adult to read).  I look forward to reading more books about Missy!

15 comments:

  1. I am going to have to find this series for my daughter. She would love it and it would be a great series for her and I to read together. Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay this just looks adorable! I am so glad your daughter loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my niece's birthday coming up, I think this might be something she really enjoys! She's in an animal phase at the moment, so anything animal related is an automatic win. The cover is adorable, makes me want to see the rest of the illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and LOVED your daughter's thoughts, thanks for sharing them!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fun book to read to my daughter. She is starting to like me reading chapter books to her and she remembers where we were and wants to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review from you and your daughter!! I am glad it appealed to both of your reading levels as well as the intended target group..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pictures are good. they help my son stay in the story. I loved your daughters review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED your daughter's review!! She is going to take over! I can tell! :)

    Oh and who couldn't love a book when the main character's name is Missy! I mean that is awesomesauce right there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter's review was adorable and really well done saying what she liked and didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! She did a great job! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww this sounds like so much fun! I love your daughter's review, it's totally adorable. Especially this line "It didn't add a lot of details so I really liked it, but not really, really liked it." :D Lovely review, thank you both for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL-- LOVED your daughter's review. Missy sounds like a fun character, especially since she likes the animals, tries to take care of them and is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great hearing what your daughter thought! I'm glad you both enjoyed this one overall. Missy sounds fun. I like that it's a bit of a comic book, style-wise. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs