Winterling by Sarah Prineas
Paperback, 256 pages
Published: Jan. 3rd, 2012 by Harper
Source: Purchased
With her boundless curiosity and wild spirit, Fer has always felt that she doesn’t belong. Not when the forest is calling to her, when the rush of wind through branches feels more real than school or the quiet farms near her house. Then she saves an injured creature—he looks like a boy, but he’s really something else. He knows who Fer truly is, and invites her through the Way, a passage to a strange, dangerous land.
Fer feels an instant attachment to this realm, where magic is real and oaths forge bonds stronger than iron. But a powerful huntress named the Mor rules here, and Fer can sense that the land is perilously out of balance. Fer must unlock the secrets about the parents she never knew and claim her true place before the worlds on both sides of the Way descend into endless winter.
I ended up buying this one because I got the second one at ALA not realizing it was the second book in a series. But I'm REALLY glad I did because this was a MG fantasy book that I really connected with. It's one that definitely has crossover appeal and actually, with only minor changes could have easily been YA. And a part of me wishes it was (just cause of a potential love interest, which is just a friend because it's MG) because I think I would have loved it even more! However, there's not really anything in it that I was uncomfortable reading to my 8 year old. There's hunting and killing of animals (which the MC does NOT like) and talk about her parents being killed. That's about the only stuff that might possibly bother some. Nothing gets gory or graphic though.
Fer is definitely mature for her age, and that worked well for me. I prefer the more mature characters just because I'm an adult and I connect with them more. She may occasionally make hasty decisions, but I never felt like they weren't smart, like she wasn't doing what she really felt was right. And while some actions may be construed as being naive, I felt like she went with her gut a lot. Especially when it came to who she should trust. She knew who was on her side, even if they couldn't act on it. At least not then. And Fer is very brave and is bold when she needs to be. She's not afraid to stand up for herself and others, but she also knows when it's best to go along with something until the odds are more in her favor.
The whole plot of this book is very creative and interesting. I feel like we only just barely touched on it all though and I'm anxious to see what twists and turns come in the next one. I don't really want to say much about the plot because I went in knowing nothing and I enjoyed it more. It's all revealed to us as Fer is introduced to it. While some of it we pick up on a bit faster than her, for the most part we are with her as she discovers everything about this world.
I definitely recommend this book! I would say it's probably about 3rd grade and up age wise, but on the book it does say ages 8-12. Also, another bonus is that there's no cliffhanger! Still, it doesn't matter, I'm very eager to read the next book!





















You always read such fun books in this age group and this one sounds like a great read!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a really good MG story. My son is at the lower end of the age level, but he might really like it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Candace!
ReplyDeleteAnother awesome book that I should pass on to my mom. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a fantastic MG story. I am always looking for good ones since I enjoy them, and also eventually my daughter will be reading them. My neighbors are 10 and 13 so I always recommend books to them too!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a really fun book. Thanks for sharing about it.
ReplyDeleteGood to hear it was creative and interesting!
ReplyDeleteWhat a good recommendation-I always mean to read more MG but then get swept up in all my YA. Since you mention the crossover appeal, I think I will try to make sure to check this one out.
ReplyDeleteThis really has an interesting story that I would love to read this in the future. Like you, I also like strong heroines. They are perfect role models for girls and at the same time, empowering them. :)
ReplyDeleteArra
Style | Reader
http://arraabella.blogspot.com