Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Young Adult Review: 13 Little Blue Envelopes & #OUReadathon Update

Once Upon a Read-a-Thon Updat:.  Don't forget that Rainy Day Ramblings & Dizneeee's World of Books

are hosting the mini challenges today if you are participating in the readathon. 
I meant to do an update post a bit sooner, but I was busy reading!  My parents were here visiting and they left Tuesday afternoon so I started reading like mad then.  I read Avery by Charlotte McConaghy (it was great!) and got almost through Babe in Boyland (at the time of this, which is 10 PM Tuesday evening).  I have a sick child and I'm playing catch up with emails so I really haven't had a lot of time to read but I was lucky enough to get a couple hours of uninterrupted reading and that helped immensely!  You can find my goals post HERE which gives you an idea of what I'm hoping to accomplish.  Now, onto today's review!

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
ebook, 368 pages
Published: Oct. 6th, 2009 by HarperTeen
Source: Purchased

When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key to finding them in this funny, romantic, heartbreaking novel.
I read this book when on vacation and traveling on the train.  It was a quick read and perfect for the occasion since I was just leaving for my own vacation (unfortunately I was not traveling out of the country though).   Now it's been a few weeks since I read the book so this will be a very short review.
I loved the traveling and the different settings in the book.  I loved that we got to see so many different places, London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam and more.  I loved that she went to these places without much plan, just these bare instructions and this led her on a journey she wouldn't have otherwise had.  She saw sites she wouldn't have seen as a normal artist.  She also got to see these places that were important to her aunt and maybe helped her know her aunt a little differently, to learn more about her.

I liked Ginny well enough, but she's very shy and quiet.  For this reason I have some mixed feelings about her.  I think in some ways I understood her better because I'm shy too.  I have a hard time talking to strangers and to do these news things that 'make' you have to be more brave.  But it also made me feel more distant from her, to feel like we never really get to know her.  She starts to open up more toward the end though and I felt like she was starting to open up more.  

The romance was vague, barely anything there at all.  But this is something that looks like it'll be more developed in the next book.  I like the love interest fairly well but never felt like we got to know him well enough to really LOVE him.  Still, he has potential to be great if their relationship develops a bit more.

Overall I enjoyed this book.  The travel aspect was definitely my favorite part of the book but I'm curious to see where things go for Ginny and with the romance.

I would give this one 3.5 stars but I'm rounding it up to 4 since I don't do halves anymore.



16 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked this one and that you are getting lots of reading done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this, too! It's a cute story and you're so right about it being appropriate to read while on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this one like 3 years ago on my nook and still haven't read it. I also have The Last Little Blue Envelope, so I should get around to them soon. This does sound cute!! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen this one before, but it does sounds like a pretty good book. Glad you enjoyed for the most part too. Great review.


    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the travel aspect of this story and didn't really miss the romance at all. The second one was cute but not as good as the first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this book for a few years, but after not liking The Name of the Star, I'm a little hesitant to read it. I think I will give it a try now.
    Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to read this series but I have heard some great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind the lack of romance but this one still sounds cute. I have it and I really need to start it. Sounds like a relaxing summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree this was a cute little read. I loved the travel aspects most. And really Maureen Johnson has got such a great, quirky voice. It's easy to recognize her books because of that voice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really had fun with this one, and I read it while I was backpacking through Europe, so it was super appropriate. Glad you got to read it while traveling too! :-) I agree with you about Ginny, she is shy so I was able to relate to her in that sense, but it took me awhile to warm to her, and I think it may have happened more in book two. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter loved this, it sounds like fun and I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a very cuts idea and a good, quick read. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've also read this and it was good. Actually a fun read making me feel wanderlust. :)

    Arra
    Style | Reader
    http://arraabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a cute read! I have this and the sequel on my shelf..someday...someday I will get to all of these books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a fun book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book was cute-I was surprised by her aunt's insistence on setting up this crazy plan but I loved getting to tour Europe vicariously.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs