Sunday, July 28, 2013

Middle Grade Review: Juniper Berry M.P. Kozlowsky


Juniper Berry by M.P. Kozlowsky
Paperback, 227 pages
Published: April 26th, 2011 by Walden Pond Press
Source: Publisher

Juniper's parents have not been themselves lately. In fact, they have been cold, disinterested and cruel. And lonely Juniper Berry, and her equally beset friend, Giles, are determined to figure out why.

On a cold and rainy night Juniper follows her parents as they sneak out of the house and enter the woods. What she discovers is an underworld filled with contradictions: one that is terrifying and enticing, lorded over by a creature both sinister and seductive, who can sell you all the world's secrets in a simple red balloon. For the first time, Juniper and Giles have a choice to make. And it will be up to them to confront their own fears in order to save the ones who couldn't.

M.P. Kozlowsky's debut novel is a modern-day fairy tale of terror, temptation, and ways in which it is our choices that make us who we are.
I read Juniper Berry to myself instead of to my daughter (8) because she's a bit of a chicken and I heard this is creepy and a tad scary.  And it certainly is!  Wow, it was really creepy actually!  But I liked it a lot.  It was a bit dark but very beautifully written.  It was incredibly easy to picture everything, though the gorgeous illustrations (just a few scattered throughout) helped.

Juniper is such a great character.  You see her love for her parents even though they aren't themselves, and then you see how smart she is and her curious nature as well as her strong desire to have friends and get out of her home.  She then meets Giles, who becomes her first friend and his parents aren't quite right either.  Together they set out to figure out what's going on and what they find out is just downright scary.  But Juniper is very, very brave and always does the right thing.  There's lots of temptation though, it's not always easy, but she's so strong and so smart that she figures things out much better than apparently even some adults.

This book has a sweet HEA, and I enjoyed the journey to get there.  I would definitely read something else by this author in the future!
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for review purposes.  All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

12 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too. It was so unique and different from other MG titles. It was definitely creepy though! Not something I would give to a kid that's easily freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover for this is so cute, and a little creepy so it must suit the book perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really fun MG read. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun MG read. I especially love how Juniper's love for her parents and her strength to do the right thing. Her story sounds like one I'd want to recommend to younger MG readers to see the example she sets. Thanks for the fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable cover and it sounds really good. I will have to see if I can find this one. My daughter would like it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the cover on this one. My oldest loves creepy reads, I think this is one I need to get her!
    Great review Candace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good and ooh i love the cover for some reason I love creepy old trees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh it does seem a bit creepy. Guess it's a good idea not to read this to your daughter, but I'm happy to hear you found it a hit! Even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, this books sounds great. I love that it has an HEA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds awesome! That's a really great cover too. I love books in this age group. I think they are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love creepy atmospheric middle grades, and Juniper sounds awesome—I love brave heroines. This might be one I can read myself too. Lovely review! (And that cover is SO cute :D)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I have had this one for awhile and I've been meaning to read it. I've read so many great reviews of it, but I'd kind of forgotten what it was about. Great review! Makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs