Sunday, July 14, 2013

Children's Review: Palace Puppies, Sunny and the Royal Pain by Laura Dower


Palace Puppies: Sunny and the Royal Pain by Laura Dower
Hardcover, 129 pages
Ages: 7-10
Grades 2-5
Expected Publication: July 2nd 2013 by Disney Hyperion
Source: ALAMW

Sunny and Rex are royal puppies! Sunny is a lady-like goldendoodle, and Rex is a mischievous beagle. Together, they love living in the palace with their owners and best friends, Princess Annie and Prince James. But when Jackson, a royal pain, who just happens to be the guest of honor, shows up and threatens to ruin the birthday party that Annie and James have been planning for him, Sunny and Rex embark on an adventure to save the day. Can they help their best friends, cheer up the grouchy guest, and rescue the party before everything comes crumbling down? Join the palace puppies in their first fun-filled adventure

This isn't my normal read but I picked it up at ALAMW for my 8 year old daughter because it's a book I knew she would like.  And I was absolutely right!  She was very excited for me to read it to her so I got on that right away.   This is a chapter book but an early reader.  My daughter is in 2nd grade and it was perfect.  She's not real great with chapter books yet, but she can read it, just slowly.  It has pictures but it's like one every chapter (approximately) so not a lot. The chapters are average length (about 12 pages of words) and it's fairly large print.  The pictures are adorable and not only did my daughter enjoy them, but I did as well.

I was surprised how much I liked the book.  This is something I would say wouldn't be my thing but I found myself very interested in it and finding out what was going to happen.  Of course I felt a bit let down cause the resolution felt a bit too simple, but I had to keep in mind that this is for children and so really it's not a real issue.  

This is about Sunny, she's the royal goldendoodle who belongs to Princess Annie.  She's a pampered pooch who is spoiled but is still very sweet.  She's well behaved, especially compared to Rex, the other royal pooch who belongs to the Prince.  He's a little trouble maker and Sunny tries to keep him in line.  Unfortunately he manages to nearly pull her into some very naughty antics!  

It's a party at the castle and Sunny and Rex are told to stay out of the way but they just can't help themselves, they are drawn to that delicious cake!  And then they see the Royal Pain, cousin Jackson, doing some very naughty things and they decide to follow him around.  This is what I found interesting, was seeing him destroy his own party and then throw rocks at a frog in a pond and just be downright mean.  I wanted to know WHY!  It kept me reading though, that's for sure.
This is a cute book and I'd recommend it to early chapter book readers (well, girls mostly) who enjoy a little mystery that's a pretty easy but fun read.  Especially fans of puppies!
Disclosure: I received this book as a free gift from the publisher.  All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

14 comments:

  1. Such a cute cover. My niece is still too young for chapter books, but I think I'll recommend her mom this author when she does get older. Another year or two. She's only 5. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a cute early reader that kids at that reading level will love. I just got a puppy that looks a bit like Sunny so of course I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Palace Puppies looks adorable! My 5yo daughter, who is definitely puppy-obsessed, would love this one, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really cute. I think that my daughter would like it if I read it to her. She's still a little young for chapter books, but she does pretty well with keeping up and remembering where it left off. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a daughter that loves anything to do with dogs, I bet she would love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, sounds adorable! I do love puppies. I think my niece would enjoy something like this when she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so sweet! I love the cover. My 10 year old would enjoy this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do enjoy all of your childrens review. You always books to buy for my son :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! I've seen this on NetGalley. I bet my daughter would like it too. I have found that most early chapter books end very simply. I am like you in that I always hope for a little more, but I think that it is appropriate for the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great books for early chapter readers! I like the story, just what girls would be attracted to puppies, princesses and parties. What? You know we are, right??!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a 6-year-old, but she already reads pretty mature books (with help, of course) and I think this would be great for her. Anything with puppies and/or kittens is pretty much a guaranteed success.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww this sounds so cute! My friend's daughter will read anything to do with dogs, so I think she'd love this! It's great that it kept you turning the pages and that there's a nice little mystery as well. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book looks so cute-I wish I had a child in my life to give it too as I bet it's better with their sweet enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sound like another wonderful children's book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs