Thursday, July 25, 2013

Audible Review & Free Trial

I recently have started getting into audiobooks.  It seems like I'm always overwhelmed, I have so many books to read but I need to clean house, care for the kids, exercise... the list goes on.  So I started getting some audiobooks for review.  In the past I always felt like they were a pain to listen to.  I need to be able to hear my kids and what's going on around me and I thought with headphones in, I wouldn't be able to.  The thing is, I can!  Even with the volume fairly loud I can hear what's happening, when a kid gets hurt, when someone needs something, etc.  I was also worried about when I go out for my walks alone, whether it would leave me vulnerable, but if it's a particularly loud one I just leave one headphone out of my ear.  It's probably be a little extra cautious, but better safe than sorry, right?

I get audiobooks for review and I always use my audible app on my iPhone and iPod to access them (I have to load them from my computer since I get them from the publisher).  It's easy to use and keeps track of everything for me.  I don't even have to log in to my audible/amazon account.  But when I was offered a chance to get a couple audiobooks from audible.com itself, I jumped at the chance. 

This review is regarding the website and the process of selecting and receiving my audiobook.  I had used audible in the past, but it had been a few years.  But my audible account seems to be the same info as my amazon account so logging on was easy as pie.

I really like how well things are tagged.  I could go by age groupings, I looked up 'teen' audios first, or by genres, I looked up 'sci-fi and fantasy' next.  Deciding on which I would choose was hard, there are too many I want!  But I finally decided on Game of Thrones and Written in Red and I put them in my cart.  The check out is easy.  Since I had credits I just marked them as having credits (clear and easy to understand) and I was able to go through easily.  But if I had paid it would use my amazon information, including my credit card listed there.  Very easy to use!

Overall I was very happy with my experience with audible.  It seems like I had used it a few years ago and had more problems so I think all those kinks have been worked out.  I especially loved that I didn't have to plug my phone into my computer and wait for hours for everything to download to it.  It's all right there on my app!  All I had to do was sign in and it appeared.  Honestly, that was my favorite part.  I always dread trying to transfer my other audiobooks to my devices so no transfer needed is a huge bonus.

Anyway, you can give audible.com a try too, just go to THIS page.  You do have to sign up for a membership, but you can cancel at any time, even before the trial ends so that you aren't charged.  This is a great way to test out whether audible might work for you, or to try out audiobooks, in general.   

Side Note: Maja from The Nocturnal Library mentioned that her "favorite feature is that you can return a book if you don't like it for some reason, be it the narrator or the book itself, no questions asked! You just go to your account, return it, and you get your credit right back."

I love that because I know from experience that some narrators just don't work for me.  So thanks Maja for letting us know! 

Disclosure: I was given two credits for doing a review of the site and process.  All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.  Big thanks to audible for providing me with this opportunity!

25 comments:

  1. Two of my favorite books! Nice! I haven't gone Audible yet, because I tend to read so fast and get pissy when the narrator reads super-slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I actually get impatient too. But because I'm constantly doing laundry, washing dishes, gardening, etc, I figure it's better than nothing at all. I've started to actually have much more patience and just enjoy the story. I have found I'm not as invested in it (usually anyway) because I don't have the same connection when I can't give it my full attention. But I still like them a lot!

      Delete
  2. I have yet to listen to an audiobook Candace! I just can read so much faster than I can listen, and I'm not a patient person, so I like to be the one to set my pace rather than a narrator. That being said though, I've read so many amazing reviews for audiobooks and their brilliant narrators that I kind of want to give one a try. Probably not either of the above though since they're long books and therefore will be even longer audiobooks, but maybe a short YA or something to start! Looking forward to your thoughts on Written in Red, my mother in law just loved that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hear you. I figured it's better to listen to something slowly than nothing at all. I only listen when I'm doing other things and can't actually read, so it works for me. But I have a big ol' family to take care of so I spend a lot time cleaning and stuff. You should find a shorter YA and give it a shot though! John Green's books are decent on audio, at least some of them. I love fantasy on audio though, usually the narrators are GREAT!

      Delete
  3. I like audiobooks and I have listened to several but it’s not my preferred format. I find I have to concentrate more on someone speaking than I would if I were reading it myself. So, listening to audiobooks when I’m doing something else is kind of dangerous. I stopped listening in the car after almost getting into an accident. (Some butthead cut me off but I kind of knew I was zoning when listening anyway.) I’ve walked into objects, tripped over stuff, and broken things when listening to audiobooks because I was paying more attention to the book than I was my surroundings. So, audiobooks are not something I use a lot of...

    Lady with Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I thought I was a bad multi-tasker! I don't get that absorbed into it, I guess. But that prevents me from enjoying it as much as I could. I guess I have run into tree branches before, but I do that even without being distracted. lol

      Delete
  4. I adore Audible! My very favorite thing about them is that they let you return a book if you don't like it for some reason, be it the narrator or the book itself, no questions asked! You just go to your account, return it, and you get your credit right back. It's awesome.

    I did it twice already, once because the book I got was just stupid, and once because I disliked the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maja, good point! I haven't used them enough to need to return one, but I LOVE that feature! I think I might add that in my review as an added note since you've actually done it so I know they do follow through. Thanks for letting me know!

      Oh, and I wasn't sure if it wasn't available internationally, I forgot to check, so it's good to know it is.

      Delete
  5. I really do love how easy it was to sign up and log in! I had no idea you could return a book if for some reason the narrator's voice bothered you, really helpful to know! That Maja, she is so smart. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was jus thinking about opening an audio book account, but I'm afraid I just end up with lots of more book piled up. And the upside, I did buy the first book in the Game of Throne series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to listen to audiobooks all the time, when I walk, I want to clean house, when I drove. I just got out of the habit in the last couple of years, but I still do enjoy it when I do listen to audiobooks. I'm glad to see that you're enjoying them too! And I really do like Audible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to do this, but just can't do the membership thing just yet. If I could buy without an automatic charge on each month I'd do it. Not a biggie... been loving the library and one day I'll do audible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in total agreement, audible is great, and especially their policy of letting you return a book if you're just not feeling it. I have used that more than once! It's such a bummer to download an audiobook and hate the narrator or just not be able to get into the story. I listen to audiobooks while I work out, so I need them to really grab me, or else it just feels like I'm working out, instead of being swept up in a story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a way to listen to them..i mean can you play them on your tablet or smartphone? This site sounds good and that return policy is to die for! Great review of the site:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol I have been on audible for a while now and I never knew you could return a book if you were not happy with it. Good to know for the future. I think there was only one time where I hated the narrator though.

    Glad you are listening to more audiobooks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've recently started using Audible too. I really like it. How did you get the opportunity to do a promotional post? I'd do one for two credits - happily. I like audible a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice review! I've wanted to listen to an audiobook for the longest time. My phone doesn't have the internet (it's very old) so that wouldn't work for me...but otherwise, one of these I need to listen to one and it's nice to know this site is so easy to use. Great you can return books too; very nice policy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love audible!!! It's a fanatstic site, easy to navigate and of course, I love the credit system!

    My favorite Audiobooks are the Iron Druid Chronicles, Charley Davidson and the Fever series! These audiobooks rock!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like audible! I had situations where I had to talk to someone live and each time, the representative on the phone was friendly and professional. And I agree - their current version of ios app is really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a huge fan of audiobooks. I love listening to books while I clean the house or workout. I don't listen a lot in the car since a lot of what I listen to wouldn't be appropriate for my 4 year old to hear. I have only used the audible site a few times, but it is very user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm recently obsessed with audiobooks for my morning walks. Sometimes I walk an extra long time just because the book is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never really listened to audio books. I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard of Audible but never given them a try. I think I will now. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been a member of Audible for years and love that site. I listen to books since I work outside for a living, I always leave 1 earphone out so I can hear everything around me if needed. The site has books clearanced and sales once in a while also, so I stock up then!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used them and cancelled the account after the free book and later I wanted to revive the account with a new card and they took the money and gave me a chance to get a book so I did and then they took it back and said it was because I used an expired card and then said they had not taken any money, but I found out a few hours later that they had lied to me. I will not be using this company again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs