Today I'm really excited because I have M.L. Brennan on the blog for an interview! I also have a review of Generation V at the bottom of this post. And some fantastic news folks, there's a giveaway of TEN copies, yes folks, that's 10 copies up for giveaway!
Let's welcome M.L. Brennan to the blog!
Thanks so much for
visiting my blog today!
Thanks so much for having me!
Generation V
was a book that really surprised me, I hadn't heard much about it before I got
it so it wasn't one I was pining for or anything, but the second I started
reading I was completely pulled into Fort's life and loved his voice! I
found it to be very authentically male, but you're a female, was pulling off
the male voice at all difficult for you? Did you have any tricks for
getting it 'authentically' male?
Oh, I like this question a lot. The short answer is “no,”
but now I’m going to lay a long answer on you.
Literary gender-swapping is actually something I do a lot
of, and really did a lot since I started writing seriously in college. There’s
always a bit of controversy about this – there are people who will argue that
men can’t write women realistically, for example – but I think that it’s actually
a really good exercise for any writer, because what you ultimately realize is
that gender is just another piece in constructing a character. There’s always
the question of experience when people argue about this – that women can’t
write men because they’ll never truly experience what it is to actually
function in that skin. But you can make that argument about a lot of things –
age, level of affluence, and race all spring immediately to mind. I’d hate to
be limited to only my own experience when it came to crafting characters.
Fort is a guy, which is something that I’ll never
experience. But I’m also not a vampire. And I’ve never had a relationship end
because someone cheated on me. And the thought of actually being a film major
makes me shudder. Constructing all of those things together, though, helped me
figure out who Fort was, and what he would sound like. And once I figured out
what his voice would be, the rest fell into place.
Funnily enough, there was a character who I had such a
problem writing that I just rewrote a scene to avoid it – but that character
was female. (you’ll meet her in the next book, and writing her just never got
any easier)
In terms of tricks… it helps to remember that at our core,
we fundamentally operate off of emotion and need. Once you figure out how the
character feels and what he needs, it helps a lot. It also helps to have a good
editor – it didn’t happen a lot, but there were at least two separate instances
where my editor sent me a note that was basically “Can you butch Fort up a
little here?” and I though, oh, okay, I guess this incident won’t *actually*
drive him to tears. But I think that both of those instances could have applied
equally to a female protagonist.
The vampire 'world'
you created was very unique. I haven't read as many vampire stories in
the past year or so but I feel like I've read my share of them in the past and
finding a real unique spin is kind of hard, it seems like it's all 'been done'
yet you came up with something new. How did the ideas for the vampire
'workings' come to you? I mean, the whole breeding thing is seriously
gross and creepy, but yet so fascinating...
Thanks, I was definitely aiming for new! My personal take on
vampire workings really originated from a
need for my vampires to make sense to
me on a biological level. A creature that is physiologically frozen in time
from the moment they are changed, won’t ever die, and only have to do a small
blood donation to make more of themselves? That sounds like a population disaster
that would leave the entire planet in the equivalent state of Guam
and its snakes.
![]() |
So I rethought vampires in two directions – first, as apex
predators. Watch any animal documentary and you notice that for the
three-hundred mule deer running in terror, there are only about five wolves. So
there needed to be similar biological differences between humans and vampires
as to mule deer and wolves to get that kind of disparity naturally.
Secondly, I thought about vampires as parasites. This led
directly to the breeding, since my source of inspiration on that one was the
tick. And anything that is based on a tick is going to be creepy and gross, but
it sure was fun to dream up and then put into action.
In Generation V
Fort starts learning more about the supernatural around him and starts
acknowledging the fact that he really knows very little about all the
'creatures' in his world. We meet a few in Generation V, do we
continue to meet more in the next book? Any hints on what we might get to
see?
The next book will definitely involve Fort becoming much
more involved in the supernatural parts of his world, which is also going to
make his ties to humans become more problematic and dangerous.
As for hints… I can confirm straight out that the kitsune
will definitely be back, but beyond that… hmm… well, let’s just say that when I
was planning this book, one of my primary resources was Carol Rose’s marvelous Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins:
An Encyclopedia.
There's not really
much for romance in Generation V, but there's a bit of chemistry there
and I think anyone who reads it chants in their head "kiss, kiss,
kiss..." so is there any kissing in the next book? Please say yes!
Yes, but something that I’ve always loved in fiction is when
the romance is a slowly boiling pot. Think about any movie version of Pride and Prejudice – by the end you are
screaming for Elizabeth Bennet to just grab Darcy and lay one on him. But if
that had happened an hour earlier, it wouldn’t be as great when it finally
happens. (I’m thinking here of the great recent web series The Lizzie Bennet Diaries – it took something like 98 web videos
and several months to actually see the two characters kiss. And it was totally
worth the wait.)
I don’t make the reader wait that long. There is kissing in
the second book. But I will not confirm the participants of said kissing.
Now I'm really
excited for the next book! Can you give us an estimate on the release date of
it, do we have to wait a whole year? And do you know yet how many books
will be in the series?
Fantastic news on that front! The second Fortitude Scott
book, Iron Night, will be published
in January 2014!
So far I’ve been contracted for three books, but I
definitely have ideas for more.
Do you have any other
works in progress that are different from this series?
I have a few ideas I’m playing with right now, but right now
the only thing very seriously on my worktable is the third Fortitude Scott
book, which I’m writing right now.
And last question,
what is your most recommended book at this very moment?
Oh, that’s a really tough one, because I feel like I should
be recommending something that isn’t getting a lot of attention… but I just
can’t help myself – Anne Bishop’s Written
In Red is mind-blowingly good, and I’ve already re-read it a few times.
But after Written In
Red, people should absolutely check out Cassie Alexander’s Nightshifted, which has a fantastic
heroine, an insanely active plot, and also answers the fabulous question of –
if you have multiple species hiding in plain sight from humans, what the hell
happens when one of them needs to go to the hospital? Great stuff.
Thanks again for
coming on today!
Thank you so much for having me, and this was so much fun!
Generation V (American Vampire #1) by M.L. Brennan
Paperback, 320 pages
Published: May 7th, 2013 by Roc
Source: Publisher
Reality Bites
Fortitude Scott’s life is a mess. A degree in film theory has left him with zero marketable skills, his job revolves around pouring coffee, his roommate hasn’t paid rent in four months, and he’s also a vampire. Well, sort of. He’s still mostly human.
But when a new vampire comes into his family’s territory and young girls start going missing, Fort can’t ignore his heritage anymore. His mother and his older, stronger siblings think he’s crazy for wanting to get involved. So it’s up to Fort to take action, with the assistance of Suzume Hollis, a dangerous and sexy shape-shifter. Fort is determined to find a way to outsmart the deadly vamp, even if he isn’t quite sure how.
But without having matured into full vampirehood and with Suzume ready to split if things get too risky, Fort’s rescue mission might just kill him.…
After suffering a reading slump for a good long week and setting aside book after book I wasn't sure what I would think picking up Generation V. Sometimes urban fantasies are just the thing to knock you out of a slump though and I was immediately drawn in by Fort's voice. It's in first person, which I think helped me along quite a lot because I really felt that connection with him. I think being inside someone's head instead of outside looking in, makes the reading a little easier. And Fort is a great guy. He may let people walk all over him, and is unable to defend himself in any way at all, but he's a great guy! Okay, so yeah, he starts out being a wimp. And yeah, he's a vampire but not really. He's still mostly human. And to understand how that works you'll have to read the book because that would take far too long to explain.
Vampires in this book aren't sparkly and are often cold blooded killers. I feel the author did a great job in portraying that they are NOT good guys, yet there are worse guys than some of Fort's family. That while he hates what they are and what he will become, he sees that they could be worse. The author created a very unique take on vampires. I felt like it was a tad hard to wrap my head around initially, figuring out how they breed and all that, but as I read on everything clicked into place.
As I mentioned already, Fort is a great guy. In the beginning he's just a bit too nice. He lets people walk all over him and doesn't stand up for himself much. But he grows a lot through the story as he discovers that some girls have gone missing and a vampire is responsible that he must do something. But his family won't get involved and he's been forbidden to do anything.
Suzume has been hired to protect Fort and from the moment she comes into the story everything changes. She's larger than life and does a decent job of stealing the show. Of course since we're in Fort's head that doesn't really happen, but she was just so FUN when she came on the page. She's a kitsune and holds her own powers and magic. She also teaches Fort much more about the supernatural community, which he was completely clueless about. She stands by Fort through much of what's going on in the book, but will she stand by him when no one else will? When he's ready to risk EVERYTHING to rescue a girl? You'll have to read it to find out!
I flew through this book like nothing and I wanted to read more when it was finished. I'm absolutely eager for more and will be chomping at the bit to get the next book.
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
Photo credits:
Wolf: photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ucumari/2366638158/">ucumari</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">cc</a>
Deer: photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/53825985@N02/6347146782/">** Lucky Cavey **</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">cc</a>

























I haven't heard of this but that cover is really striking and it sounds like a good read
ReplyDeleteI HIGHLY enjoyed this one and wasn't expecting to like it so much. Like you said, there wasn't a whole lot of buzz from the bloggers/tweeps I follow but I liked the blurb & cover so I went with it. Fort's a great, truly authentic character and I liked how all the vamps had very separate personalities for different reasons.
ReplyDeleteI was a film major, hehe:) It makes me shudder thinking about it as well! I love her answer on the writing from a male perspective, especially when she said she's not a vampire but yet is writing about vampires. I guess I never really thought of it in those terms, but it makes complete sense. I'm a huge fan of all things fanged, so I'm really excited to give this one a try and see what's unique about her vampires:)
ReplyDeleteI am always up for a good adult urban fantasy novel and this one sounds pretty awesome!! I love that it's in male POV too. Great review. I will have to check this book out.
ReplyDeleteThis sound like a great story and glad to hear you got lost in it. I like the sound of Fort as well.
ReplyDeleteOh this sounds like a book right up my alley! Lots of fun and I am glad they aren't the sparkly kind too. :D I'm also curious about Fort and Suzanne's relationship. Sounds like a good UF YA!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great feature. I really enjoyed what the author said about writing for different genders/situations/etc.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
Well color me excited..it's adult, the vampires don't sparkle and the romance is a slow build. I love that I waiting almost 8 books in the Urban fantasy Greywalker and yep when it happened..epic! The world and supernatural creatures have me excited to read Generation V, awesome interview, totally agree about writing any type of character and love your take on vampires.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you liked this one and I couldn't agree more with the author, some of my favorite male voices are written by female authors!
ReplyDeleteI really like this cover, thanks for the giveaway. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've heard of this one before, so thanks for the review/interview/giveaway (definitely entered because it sounds like a great one!) I like vampire novels still, but I guess I haven't read TONS so it's cool to hear this one is a bit more unique than your average read. I love guy p.o.v's too, so that's exciting!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review and giveaway! I've been reading such great reviews for this book! It's already on my want list :)
ReplyDeleteThis is not the first time I'm seeing this cover but it's the first time I'm really checking what it's about. I actually never got sick of vampire novels bc I haven't read that many of them before the dystopians started being all shiny and calling my name >.< But I think I prefer non-sparkly ones so that bodes well for this book haha.
ReplyDeleteWow! I can't WAIT to read this! I love that cover, too ; )
ReplyDeleteI wonder what kind of events or people inspired the author while writing this book!?
Thanks for the giveaway!
mestith at gmail dot com
I have to agree about Written in Red, it's such an amazing book, but I think it hasn't been getting nearly enough attention. I just finished the third Edie Spence book by Cassie Alexander (I adored Nightshifted, that's an excellent recommendation too) and loved it.
ReplyDeleteLike Giselle, I never seem to get tired of vampires, although I am tired of just about everything else.
Thanks for sharing!
Glad this got you out of your reading slump! Fort sounds like an amazing character, and I really like the sound of this story. I'd never heard of it before today, so thanks for introducing me to it! Lovely review and guest post, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteSounds fantastic! Can't wait to read.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a really cool read for the author's first book. I would love a chance to read it. Thanks for having the giveaway.
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of this one before reading your post today. Thanks for sharing the interview as well as review. The story sounds unique - I think I'll like to meet Suzume :)
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a fun series. I haven't heard of it before, but I love books told from a male POV. The interview was great.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the awesome giveaway. I really want to read this book
ReplyDeleteAs soon as I saw this book I added it to my books to watch out for, and the more I hear about it, the more interested I'm becoming.
ReplyDeleteCool review! And thanks so much for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteOoo, another vampire book. I am intrigued as I always am with those sorts of books. I think I have a thing for the fangs. lol
ReplyDeleteWould really love to win
ReplyDeleteFort sounds so much like Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel TV series. It's great to have a vampire as your protector.
ReplyDeleteNice Review. I have seen this book before but haven't had the chance to get my hands on it to read. It look like a good one. Thanks for the Giveaway!
ReplyDeletebook looks so good!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the giveaway! Can't wait to read this :)
ReplyDeleteOhhh....this sounds like something I would love to read right now...to get myself outta my own slump....makes me wonder!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway! Sounds great! :)
ReplyDeleteCandace, thanks again for hosting this and for doing so much to advertise it. I really appreciate all your time and energy. And, again, this was definitely one of my *favorite* interviews!
ReplyDeleteNow, back to work on Iron Night...