Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
I really liked this story a lot and read it in less then two hours. I found myself immersed in the story completely and really had no desire to put it down. And while I really really liked it I realized once I was finished that this could have turned out to be an absolute favorite that I would have raved on and on about. But for some reason it fell just short of that. It's kind of hard to pinpoint what exactly made it not quite amazing, but I think because of the third person past tense and the jumping around into memories I didn't connect as well with Hadley and her story. I did like the story that was told and liked that her father and her issues with him getting remarried were so important, and I do think that we needed some back story, but it just messed up the flow for me with the way it was done.
This was not total fluff. Yeah, it's a romance, and a very sweet one at that, but I kind of felt like the love story was almost a backseat to the issues that Hadley is dealing with. And I think I wanted more of the connection between Hadley and Oliver to be there. But even still this was an adorable story with some deeper messages and an amazing blossoming romance. And even though Hadley isn't the most like-able character in the beginning we really see her grow in the 24 hours that the book takes place and her growth in the book makes it okay that she's not so wonderful to start with.
Now keep in mind that even though I pointed out some negatives for me I still loved this book. It really had potential to be a favorite and just didn't quite get there for me, but it was still absolutely wonderful and I very highly recommend it if it sounds like your thing.
4/5



















Great review! I can't wait to read this book! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm DYING to read this one!!! YAY!!!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read this one for Angela's YA 2012 challenge. I'm glad that you did like this one so much even if a part of it fell short. I'm interested in seeing what I think about it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review! :)
I cannot wait to read this one! It does some to have lots of potential, so I'm sorry that it disappointed you. :( I think I'll be disappointed as well if Oliver and Hadley's relationship doesn't meet my standards. However, I'm still very excited for this book!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of the books I want to read for the contemp challenge! Now I'm all excited for it since it sounds amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteI've been wanting to read this one for a while. Sounds really cute and I've read a lot of good reviews on it. Plus the cover is super duper cute! Yay for contemporary! haha Can't wait till its out!
ReplyDeleteOhhhhhhhhh I want this now!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait for this to come next year. It sounds like a really good story. Thanks for a great review.
ReplyDeleteI remember you telling me this one fell just short of a favorite for you. I get your points completely, but I'm still over-the-moon in love with this book. It reminds me a lot of Stephanie Perkins' stuff, which, as you probably know, is a fantastic thing :)
ReplyDeleteHonestly- I don't know why I want to read this one. It doesn't seem like my normal type read, but I have SO wanted to read this since I first started seeing the title pop up. It looks awesome and I'm mostly hearing good things about it, so I'm definitely excited for the chance to read this one! :)
ReplyDeleteOoh I'm waiting for this one in the mail and I can't WAIT to get it it sounds so romantic!
ReplyDeleteGiselle
Xpresso Reads
I loved it, I rated it 5 stars, but I didn't think it was AMAZING. So I completely get what you are saying. Great review.
ReplyDelete