So for those of you who don't know- Lori from Pure Imagination challenged me to read the HP books last January {yes, January almost a year ago} and I agreed to the first three in January and the rest through the rest of the year. I read the first three in January and then the fourth in April and then apparently I just couldn't seem to find time for this one! But recently Lori kind of reminded me that I really should keep reading them so I pretty much started it right away. And I really think it's the size that kept me from picking it up. Seriously, almost 900 pages is a bit intimidating. And I knew it would take me like four days {yes, that's a long time for me!} to read it.
{This is my first time reading the series and I haven't even watched the movies! It's all brand new to me!}
Once I started reading it all hesitation went away. I was completely sucked into the story and felt like I was traveling home to visit old friends. I'm kind of getting why people love these books so much.
This one definitely kept me riveted even though it was darker since Harry was experiencing lots of doubts and was pretty depressed through most of the book. It was all those horrible things happening that made me so so angry and I just wanted to see all those horrible stupid people go down! I wanted to see them all realize they were wrong, Harry was right- SO THERE YOU STUPID KNOW-IT-ALLS!!!!!
I didn't cry. I don't know how I managed but even though something horrible happens I did not cry. And seriously, it's a miracle. I'm pretty sure it's because I was reading in a room full of people and there were lots of distractions and I wasn't quite fully immersed in the book when the super sad thing happened. I'm not sure if it's good or bad but I think maybe it's good. I just hate that feeling and having it a bit numbed by distractions kept me from bawling my eyeballs out.
Once I started reading this book I realized {again} how amazing J.K. Rowlings ability is to create such amazing characters that most certainly POP but also a world and a story line that are totally mind blowing. I know you all know that already... but just wanted you to know- I agree!
I'm tempted to pick the next one up right now, but I have a couple review books I really must read first... but I'm thinking it might be really soon! Which means I ought to be working on getting my hands on the seventh book...
I want to give a big hug to Lori and to Angela {and loads of random people everywhere} who convinced I MUST read these books. I'm so glad I didn't miss out!
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix- Yes, I finally read it!
Labels:
Challenges,
Harry Potter,
Young Adult
10 comments:
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.
I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



















I loved these books, and the movies, and I have reread and rewatched them so many times and they do feel like old friends. But nothing makes me as happy as hearing from someone who is new to the whole world where each book is a surprise to them. I hope you enjoy the rest of the books and I look forward to hearing what you think of them.
ReplyDeleteI am SO happy that you're finally getting back into these books! I love this series so, so, so much. And actually, this book is my favorite in the series! I hope you can complete the series soon. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous that you're reading the series for the first time! I remember how awesome it was for me. Glad to hear you're enjoying them though, Candace!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're reading those books, they are wonderful, marvelous... The best books I ever read. I had the luck to read the first book when I was only eleven years old, and I literally grow up with the story and with the characters, so everytime I read one, it's like you said, meeting with old friends.
ReplyDeleteTake your time reading the next two books... because you're going to miss them. : )
Yay! I'm glad you are finally reading these books because they really are amazing. I personally have a great love with the fifth book. Well I loved the fifth book because of my love/hate relationship with it. I did throw the heavy book across the room at one point for being so frustrated but when a story can bring about all of those intense emotions in me I love it.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are loving this series! Stick with it, please!
Thanks for the great review.
Oh my goodness you have NO idea how happy I am that I'm not the ONLY one who took forever to finish them!!! It took me a year and a half to read the whole series - and HOLY CRUD there are no words. I'm going to be looking forward to your reviews for the last two - I had no idea she was going to be so incredibly genius, but she was. GEEEE now I'm getting all emotional about it just thinking about it!! hahahaha ooooohhh loooooove this! :D
ReplyDeleteYAY! So glad you're loving your Harry Potter experience Candace! JK Rowling is an amazing storyteller, I got hardcore sucked into these books as well, and there ones I can read over and over again and learn something new each time. Can't wait for your thoughts on the next books:)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you loved it and I'm also glad that you are reading the books before seeing the movies!! The movies are great but you wouldn't get the true experience without reading the books first!!
ReplyDelete♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf
You know how I feel about this! I'm so happy you loved it! :D I've said it a million times, I know, but I'm so excited for you to read the next two. It's like experiencing it all again through you.
ReplyDeleteAnd hugs to you for reading them!
haha, didn't you love seeing Umbridge get her comeuppance? I think I probably hated her character even more than I hated Voldemort - and by that, I mean I loved the character J.K. Rowling managed to create, because if an author can create a fictional character that you hate that much, then they must be a pretty dang good author.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to reading your reactions about the next two! I just love reading first time HP readers' takes on them.