Release Date: Jan. 10, 2012
Published by Delacorte
Hardcover, 400 pgs.
Provided for review by Amazon Vine
St. Petersburg, Russia, 1888. As she attends a whirl of glittering balls, royal debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, tries to hide a dark secret: she can raise the dead. No one knows. Not her family. Not the girls at her finishing school. Not the tsar or anyone in her aristocratic circle. Katerina considers her talent a curse, not a gift. But when she uses her special skill to protect a member of the Imperial Family, she finds herself caught in a web of intrigue.
An evil presence is growing within Europe's royal bloodlines—and those aligned with the darkness threaten to topple the tsar. Suddenly Katerina's strength as a necromancer attracts attention from unwelcome sources . . . including two young men—George Alexandrovich, the tsar's standoffish middle son, who needs Katerina's help to safeguard Russia, even if he's repelled by her secret, and the dashing Prince Danilo, heir to the throne of Montenegro, to whom Katerina feels inexplicably drawn.
The time has come for Katerina to embrace her power, but which side will she choose—and to whom will she give her heart?
Some mixed feeling on this one. Although I did like the book and some elements I liked quite a lot, there were enough negatives to knock it down a notch for me.
In the beginning we are introduced to many many characters and most all of them have an important role. They all have fancy and very long names and titles and they were very difficult to keep straight. {I hope that the finished copy has a list of the characters to refer to because it would be very helpful to be able to look them up.} It took a good long time before I felt not completely lost as to who was what and what was who, etc. It was at least halfway through before I stopped feeling lost. I also wished that Katerina stood up for herself more. There were times she would fume and her family would be afraid she'd say and do something {and embarrass them horribly} but she never really did. I also had a bit of a hard time connecting with her. It's told in first person but for some reason I never felt like I really felt her.
I loved the setting, I loved the time period, I loved the idea of the whole story. And the second half definitely picked up and was entertaining. I also enjoyed the romance part of the story though it frustrated me a bit {not always a bad thing} and I did really wish for more. I felt the connection between the two but wanted more. Like more instances when she needed him or something. I suspect that there's much more in the books to come though and I do look forward to it. So that answers that question, I think I will read the next one because I think I got the rocky part out of the way. I now understand the world more and the romance definitely interests me.
This was a fairly clean read, maybe mild violence but that's about it. It definitely has a historical fiction feel to it {even though there's loads of supernatural/paranormal elements} so keep that in mind.
3/5 stars
I received this book free of charge for review purposes. I was not paid or influenced in any way and all opinions expressed are my own.
I read an advance copy of this book and the final version may have changes.



















Great review. The description sounds really good. I might have to give it a try when it's out.
ReplyDeleteI had trouble with this one too. There were SO many characters, but what made it even worse for me was that half the time they weren't referenced by name. They were referenced by their title...except there were about three Grand Duchesses in the book, so I had no idea which one was being referred to.
ReplyDeleteGreat review! First books can be as tough to read as they are to write! I've seen a lot of second books blow the first one out of the water, so there's always hope.
ReplyDeleteOoh I doN't always do well with so many characters - I hate having to check the list to see who they are like in Game of Thrones. o_O
ReplyDeleteXpresso Reads
I have this one on my wish list and now I am not so sure...thanks for a great review, though!
ReplyDeleteToo many characters and unfamiliar names are a pet peeve of mine, however, once I've gotten past those obstacles, I've had some books with those problems become absolute favorites. While this one doesn't sound like it "recovered" that well, it still sounds like it's worth reading. Thanks for the review.
ReplyDeleteYou already know what I thought of this one. *wink*
ReplyDeleteMad Scientist @ Steampunkery & Book Reviews
Aw I was really looking forward to this one. I'm sorry it didn't completely work for you. I think I still want to try it for myself though because I think I'm going to enjoy the setting and the characters.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review.
Okay, now I'm a little nervous about reading this one because of all the characters! Still, I'm excited to read it -- it's up next on my reading list. Great review--I hope they provide a list of characters in the finished copy.
ReplyDeleteI had been wondering about this one. The setting and time period is what caught my interest, but I seem to have a hard time with historicals more often than not. I might skip this one, but it does sound good...(if that makes sense lol)
ReplyDeleteOoh, that's a little disappointing! I was looking forward to this one! Especially since I love reading about the Russian revolution.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand your review... the names in this one were pretty difficult to keep straight. I had more difficulty in understanding the plot, rather than the names, but I still really, really loved this book!!
ReplyDeleteEspecially the romance... like WOW. Am I right??? ;)
- Alyssa of Redhead Heroines
Book Review of “The Gathering Storm” by Robin Bridges