Friday, December 2, 2011

Review: Love Story by Jennifer Echols

She's writing about him. he's writing about her. And everybody is reading between the lines..

For Erin Blackwell, majoring in creative writing at the New York City college of her dreams is more than a chance to fulfill her ambitions--it's her ticket away from the tragic memories that shadow her family's racehorse farm in Kentucky. But when she refuses to major in business and take over the farm herself someday, her grandmother gives Erin's college tuition and promised inheritance to their maddeningly handsome stable boy, Hunter Allen. Now Erin has to win an internship and work late nights at a coffee shop to make her own dreams a reality. She should despise Hunter . . . so why does he sneak into her thoughts as the hero of her latest writing assignment?

Then, on the day she's sharing that assignment with her class, Hunter walks in. He's joining her class. And after he reads about himself in her story, her private fantasies about him must be painfully clear. She only hopes to persuade him not to reveal her secret to everyone else. But Hunter devises his own creative revenge, writing sexy stories that drive the whole class wild with curiosity and fill Erin's heart with longing. Now she's not just imagining what might have been. She's writing a whole new ending for her romance with Hunter . . . except this story could come true.

 Tricky tricky tricky... I honestly was feeling a little unsure about this book when I was in the middle of it.  So much of it I liked, but I was finding myself irritated at the characters and their lack of communication.  I wasn't loving the MC, Erin and wasn't connecting with Hunter because I didn't feel like I was really getting to know him.  But the reason I say tricky is because when I finished the book I was happy.  Now I'm not sure how that happened but somehow I ended up liking how things went. 

There's a lot I liked about the book from the beginning.  I like that Erin, the main character, writes.  I liked that she wanted to be a novelist and the book starts out with us reading her story for her writing class.  That was our introduction and it was very creative.  I liked that Erin and Hunter communicated through stories, though I also wish they'd actually talked more. I liked that the characters are in college and the setting is in a college in NYC.  {Keep that in mind when deciding whether this is for you, I definitely recommend to a more mature crowd.} I like that Erin is from Kentucky and a  horse farm {maybe that shouldn't really impact the story, but I hadn't read a character like her before}.  I liked the minor characters and their personalities.  And in the end I liked the romance and the spark between Hunter and Erin. 

But it took some warming up.  Once something finally happened the story took off and I started really feeling Hunter and really liking him {probably because I finally felt like I was getting to know him}.  And while Erin is very stubborn and it's frustrating it's just the way she is and I did like her.  She just had to grow on me. 

This is my second Jennifer Echols book and so far it seems her MC's are a bit frustrating for me.  I do love her writing though and I think she's pretty creative in creating characters in a setting that's very different.  She also matches people up that I feel like we don't really see so much of.  She definitely seems to write to a older YA crowd but that's a bonus for me.  It's like almost adult, but not quite ;)  I'll definitely read more by her but I'm not a die-hard fan, yet.

3.5/5

13 comments:

  1. I didn't really like this book as it seemed like too much back and forth on Erin's part; "I hate Hunter...I'm totally hot for him...I hate him...I love him...What a jerk!...etc." It was just too much. Still I remain a fan of Echols although my favorite is still The Boys Next Door (did not like the sequel though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely tell the lack of communication thing will bother me, that's one element that always gets on my nerves a bit in stories. I'm a pretty upfront person and I always just want people to just open their mouths and say what their thinking so they don't keep misreading each other! Still, a book that leaves you happy is always worth reading I think:) Fantastic review Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to definitely agree that this book took some "warming up." I liked but didn't love the characters at the beginning. I really liked the communication through writing aspect and their romance.

    Great review! Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly it seems that a lack of communication (or more like an unwillingness to communicate) is a devise that too many authors use to create conflict in novels. It's hard to enjoy a book like that...there needs to be more real conflict and less perceived conflict to make me enjoy said conflict.

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read anything by Jennifer Echols but a few of her books have caught my eye - like this one. Glad you were able to get into it after a bit! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read a lot of contemporary but the synopsis of this one caught my interest. I had the exact same problem you did, but I never finished it. Now I think I'll go back and finish. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way about this one! I liked it but there were some really frustrating moments. Maybe that's a good thing though. It seems like a frustrating situation. And it did leave me happy. Also, I really liked Erin's roommates. Jordis with a slash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!! When I read a book I hate when I feel like I want to SPEAK for the characters. And my biggest pet peeve is unlikeable characters at least you liked Hunter.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was not my favorite book by Echols. I was very frustrated throughout most of the book.
    My favorite is still Going Too Far. LOVED that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only Jennifer Echols book I've read has been Going Too Far and I LOVED it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't LOVE Echols, but I definitely enjoy her. She's the perfect writer for certain moods that I get in, but I definitely have to be IN the mood. :)

    I haven't read this one yet, but I have a copy. Glad to see you liked it, even if it wasn't a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see why this one wasn't perfect for you, but somehow, I don't think I can dislike a Jennifer Echols book. Which is totally fine with me because this was my favorite of her books thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loathe lack of communication in romances, but sometimes it works for me and this was one of them. If the author can keep me distracted by other things for a little while so that I don't get furious with the characters then I'm happy.

    On another note, since you have had (minor) issues with Love Story and Going Too Far you might want to skip Forget You all together. It made me very, very angry. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs