Paperback, 377 pgs.
Source: Purchased
After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.
This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.
I finally found time to fit this one in! Well, I didn't really find the time but I fit it in anyway ;)
I've really been enjoying middle grade fantasy. This one is more a mythology based urban fantasy, but it was still an excellent read! I was able to find myself connecting with the characters, loving the different personalities and enthralled by the plot.
Percy is a character that I really loved. He's caring and will do anything for those he loves and cares about, but he's not some wimp, he speaks up for what he believes in and doesn't let people push him around. He's maybe a little too brave at times, but I never found myself really irritated with him like I sometimes get with characters that are so brave they make horrible decisions.
The plot was a bit slow for me in the beginning, I was anxious for it to move along already. But it was important to get to know Percy just a bit before his whole life changes. To get why he the way he is, to see him through the journey from the very beginning. Around page 50 the events in the story take off and it's quite fast paced with one event after another taking place and not much down time in between the different things. And I was never able to predict where things would go, I was surprised with each and every revelation and eager to discover the truth of it all.
Overall this was a highly enjoyable ride but I'm quite certain the series will only get better and better. If you haven't picked it up yet I definitely recommend you do!
4/5 stars



















This is a series I really want to find time for as well, I'm a huge greek mythology fan so that element really appeals to me and it seems like the characters really fleshed out and interesting. Do you think you'll read the entire series Candace?
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved this series! Rick Riordan is a master of retelling and I'd really recommend that you finish the whole series. I promise it won't disappoint! :)
ReplyDeleteSarah @ Smitten over Books
Jenny & Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI definitely plan on reading the whole series! I also have The Red Pyramid by him that I plan to read as well!
Thanks for stopping by ladies!
I haven't yet ready this series but I own the first 4 books in it. I'm glad to hear that you liked it so much and have high hopes for the rest of the series.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to fit this one in.
Thanks for the awesome review. :)
Yay! I'm so happy to read this one, Candace! :) I ADORE this series. It's my favorite mythology series ever. Rick Riordan always makes Percy's adventures so fun and the characters so interesting. Glad to hear that you'll be continuing this series!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that this was good. I really need to make a start on this series, I've only heard positive things about it. So many books, so little time! Great review, though - thanks!
ReplyDeleteI LOVED this series, I think the second book was a slight let down but I read all of these one after the other and really couldn't get enough! :D
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed it! I just finished the second book and I'm really liking the series so far. I'll be keeping an eye out for your thoughts on the rest of the books!
ReplyDeleteEeek I loved this series. But I didn't actually start loving it until book 3 I found the beginning a bit too young-ish. So since you loved this one you will LOVE the rest of the series. They get better each book!
ReplyDeleteGiselle
Xpresso Reads
Rick Riordan is an awesome author. I got the pleasure of meeting him and person, and found him incredibly grounded, and he spent time to connect with his readers!
ReplyDeleteI do get with you said about how Percy acted too brave sometimes, though it moved the plot along.
This has probably been on my wishlist for the LONGEST time. Unfortunately I already have such a towering tbr pile, I never got around to it. But thanks for reminding me of this book. Must. Get. To. It.
ReplyDeleteI really like your review. I once read an excerpt from the book and Percy has quite the sense of humour, doesn't he?