Thursday, December 2, 2010

Virals by Kathy Reichs

Details: Hardcover, 464 pgs (I read an ARC)
Published: Nov. 2nd 2010 by Razorbill 
isbn:  1595143424 (ISBN13: 9781595143426)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Received from: Won an ARC

Description:
Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They are Virals.


My Thoughts:

This book had a different feel (tone?) and I think it's because it's an author that's use to writing adult books.  It's not a bad feel, just different.  This book also seemed like it was geared towards younger kids.  Maybe because the main character was 15 instead of 16 or 17.  I think that this is nicely appropriate for the younger readers for sure.  
It was more of a mystery then anything, but it had a bit of the supernatural thrown in.  It was actually great because the supernatural element was more on the realistic side.  I mean, hopefully things like that aren't happening, but the author manages to make it all realistic.  
Although this book is quite long at nearly 500 pages, I read it all in a day.  It was easy to cruise through and I didn't have an urge to put it down and take a break.  I wanted to know what was going to happen next.
Tory is brilliant and it was fun watching her figure out all these complicated things.  I really love that her aunt is Tempe Brennan and it makes it easier to understand her brilliance, I think.  
I'm trying to think of how to word it to describe this novel a little better, but I think I have to go with adventure.  It seemed like they were constantly on one adventure after another trying to unravel this mystery.  Although they didn't go far they had all these neat little places.  Like bunkers that were basically their forts.  I also loved that they traveled by boat nearly all the time.
If you love mystery and adventure then you'll likely enjoy this novel.  
I give this one 4/5 moons.

You can find Kathy Reichs at her website.
You can purchase at your favorite bookstore or any of my affiliate links (on my left sidebar and below).  All commission is used to fund contests.
Disclosure: I won an ARC of this book in a contest.  The opinions stated are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! I really did, and I'm excited for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!!!this book is in my wis list for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one as well! So glad you liked it. I agree. It's an adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book. I think I was hoping there would be a bit more romance cause it was sort of hinted at but maybe in the next book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read this!!! But you know that :) Maybe I will buy it as a birthday present to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *tsk tsk* I must say that I have not heard of this one. How did it slip by me like a slimy something? I'm keeping it on my radar now.

    Please do stop by to check out my new accomplice *grin* He is a bit cheeky but I think I can keep him in line!

    Mad Scientist,
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs