Thursday, June 24, 2010

White Cat Review

White Cat (Curse Workers, Book 1)


Description:
Cassel comes from a family of curse workers -- people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all mobsters, or con artists. Except for Cassel. He hasn't got the magic touch, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail -- he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.

Ever since, Cassel has carefully built up a façade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his façade starts crumbling when he starts sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things, too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him, caught up in a mysterious plot. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he also wonders what really happened to Lila. Could she still be alive? To find that out, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen.
Holly Black has created a gripping tale of mobsters and dark magic where a single touch can bring love -- or death -- and your dreams might be more real than your memories.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this book!  I had super high expectations because I've seen so many rave reviews and I wanted it for what felt like forever!  Obviously not that long since it came out not long ago.  
I felt like the beginning made me feel a little lost.  The world wasn't described much in the beginning and you only learn everything as the story goes on.  It wasn't long before I was sucked into the world of Curse Workers though.  
I LOVED the male protagonist!   One reason I'm in love with Beautiful Creatures so much is because of the male protagonist, so that was certainly a VERY good aspect in this book.  I liked Cassel (and LOVE the name!) and he seemed very real.  I felt for him and his horrible luck and I never once believed he could be the bad person he so strongly believed himself to be (believes, I should say).  
Holly threw in plenty of twists and turns and although I figured out what the biggest twist would be I didn't figure it out until shortly before it happened.  
The whole crime family aspect was very interesting and added to the story quite a lot.  The love interests were there, but not quite going anywhere, so although there's a touch of romance it's not much.  I look forward to seeing where that goes in the future.
I can't wait for the remainder of The Curse Workers trilogy!  I give this 4/5 moons!


You can find Holly Black at her website | Livejournal

You can purchase from your favorite bookstore or amazon.


7 comments:

  1. Great review! It was a little confusing in the beginning but that seems like Holly's style to me. She only gives up the info when it's necessary and it works out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review really makes me want to read this! Sounds like it has some really great characters in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved White Cat too! Can't wait to read Red Glove! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I really enjoyed this book. I thought the ending was fantastic, and can’t wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your review! I felt the exact same way about it specially at the begining. I'm looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this on my daughter's and my TBR list! Great review!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs