Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Few More of My Favorites...

Last week I did a post with My Favorite time travel books.  This week I'm going to list a few of my favorite historical fiction books.  


The Russian ConcubineThe Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall


Description:
A sweeping novel set in war-torn 1928 China, with a star-crossed love story at its center. In a city full of thieves and Communists, danger and death, spirited young Lydia Ivanova has lived a hard life. Always looking over her shoulder, the sixteen-year-old must steal to feed herself and her mother, Valentina, who numbered among the Russian elite until Bolsheviks murdered most of them, including her husband. As exiles, Lydia and Valentina have learned to survive in a foreign land. Often, Lydia steals away to meet with the handsome young freedom fighter Chang An Lo. But they face danger: Chiang Kai Shek's troops are headed toward Junchow to kill Reds like Chang, who has in his possession the jewels of a tsarina, meant as a gift for the despot's wife. The young pair's all-consuming love can only bring shame and peril upon them, from both sides. Those in power will do anything to quell it. But Lydia and Chang are powerless to end it.


My Thoughts: 
This was a WOW book.  One you set down and just think WOW, I can't believe that was that good!  Then you go out and buy it for everyone you know who enjoys reading cause everyone just HAS to read it!  It was wrote amazing and the love story was perfect.  The author kept you wanting more of them, but weaved a very interesting, suspenseful tale that was a challenge to put down.  I think this book may end up on my top 10, it was THAT good!


My Thoughts Now:
Do I really need to say more?  No, not really.  This book was fantastic and I look forward to reading The Girl from Junchow, the second book.  


Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel of The ExodusSeven Days to the Sea by Rebecca Kohn


Description:
As a child, Miryam foretells the birth of a leader who will save their people from oppression—a vision so vivid that she dedicates her life to seeing it fulfilled in her brother, Moses. But after many years, she wonders in the deepest confines of her heart if her sacrifices mean anything, if her calling is real. Tzipporah, a desert shepherdess who knows nothing of her husband's divine purpose, suffers as he is torn from her by a strange god, a foreign people, and an unforgiving sister. In her heart, she harbors terrible secrets that haunt the love she shares with Moses and threaten her tenuous peace with Miryam. Together, Miryam and Tzipporah weave a narrative that gives voice to the women of Exodus—their lives, their community, and ultimately, their sisterhood.


My Thoughts: 
An excellent book.  For those who enjoyed The Red Tent you would likely enjoy this one as well.  I loved that it was from the womans point of view, but still about Moses.  The story was intriguing and really made you think. I dreamt about it after I finished and can't seem to stop thinking about it.  Really makes you think about those days and how harsh life was, but yet how arrogant people were even in the evidence of miracles.  I definetly recommend this book. 
My Thoughts Now: 
Although I actually gave this book 4 stars it still made it on my favorites.  It's one that's really stuck with me even a few years later.  I've found reading fiction that is a story from the bible tends to be very interesting to me.  But the important thing is that it sticks with you.  With all the books I read I usually forget what the details are in books and I still have a vivid picture in my head of this story.  A very good thing!  I highly recommend this to those who enjoy these kinds of stories.


KatherineKatherine by Anya Seton


Description: 
This classic romance novel tells the true story of the love affair that changed history-that of Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, the ancestors of most of the British royal family. Set in the vibrant 14th century of Chaucer and the Black Death, the story features knights fighting in battle, serfs struggling in poverty, and the magnificent Plantagenets-Edward III, the Black Prince, and Richard II-who ruled despotically over a court rotten with intrigue. Within this era of danger and romance, John of Gaunt, the king's son, falls passionately in love with the already married Katherine. Their well-documented affair and love persist through decades of war, adultery, murder, loneliness, and redemption. This epic novel of conflict, cruelty, and untamable love has become a classic since its first publication in 1954.


My Thoughts:
This is one AMAZING story!  It was very well told with actual historical accuracy.  It had the history thrown in with the wonderful love story that made it perfect.  Its one of the best love stories I've read because it doesn't have the cheesy love scenes.  Its romantic and classy and definitely well wrote.  Now one of my new favorites that I'm sure I will reread over the years.


My Thoughts Now:
This is another that has, of course, stuck in my head in the couple of years since I read it.  I loved the writing so much I went crazy getting books by Anya Seton.  Unfortunately I was disappointed in every one of them.  But I'm very glad I read this one first as it's amazing!  


City of Dreams: A Novel of Nieuw Amsterdam and Early ManhattanCity of Dreams: A Novel of Nieuw Amsterdam and Early Manhattan by Beverly Swerling


Description And My Thoughts: 
Okay, there's no description anywhere!  But basically it's about 1660's Manhattan and draws an incredible picture of life there.  Particularly doctors and the horrific things they did in the name of science and in what they believe is the right way to do things.  This book is full of some serious gore and many tough scenes.  If you go HERE you can find publishers thoughts as well as reviews on amazon.   This is certainly a book that stuck with me and I read the second book, City of Glory, which takes place quite later, and it wasn't as good. But this is a brilliant book and unfortunately I'm the only one who's reviewed it on shelfari!  If your a fan of historical fiction and medical fiction I highly recommend this book!
This is what I said after reading it:
A fantastic book!  A story that sticks with you.  The history is amazing and makes learning about those times fun.  After reading it I went out and bought it for my friends, I wanted everyone to read this wonderful book!


Well that's it for today's favorites.  Keep your eyes peeled!  I have at least another two days worth of favorites to list!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of these!! I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs