Saturday, June 19, 2010

Jacqueline Carey signing *Woo hoo!*

I just got home from the Jacqueline Carey book signing.  I had to bring my kids but it was still AWESOME!  
My friend Violet from The Eager Readers met me there.  She lives a couple hours south but after discovering each other and having such a great time the first time (a couple months ago) we'll probably always go to signings together.  It makes it so much better to have someone to share it all with.  
So Jacqueline Carey read from her future book that's not quite finished (almost, but not quite) that has the tentative title of Naamah's Blessing.  It made me more excited to read Naamah's Curse (which is the book newly released and which she's on the tour for).  I didn't buy it because $26 is just too much.  I probably should have bought it on amazon before, but I have some bookplates here or I'll wait until next year when she hopefully comes back so it will be a signed copy.  I did buy her books I haven't read other then that though.  I got Santa Olivia, which is one that many of you may enjoy.  Going by the description anyway.  
Santa OliviaHere's a brief description from goodreads:
"A SF/fantasy novel set in the near future and featuring a young woman with special genetically engineered 'wolf-like' powers"


Banewreaker: Volume I of The SunderingCertainly sounds very different from the Kushiel's Legacy books!  I also purchased Banewreaker and Godslayer which I haven't yet read either.  
Here's the description of Banwreaker from Goodreads: 


Once the Seven Shapers dwelled in accord. First-born among them was Haomane, Lord-of-Thought - and with his six sibling gods, they Shaped the world to their will. But Haomane was displeased, for he thought that his younger brother, Satoris, was too prideful (and too generous) in his gifts to the race of Men." "Satoris refused to bow to Haomane, and so began the Shapers' War, which Sundered the world. Haomane and his siblings lay at one end of a vast ocean, unable to touch their creations, while Satoris and the races of the world dwelled on the other. Satoris is reviled because most of the races believe that it was he alone who caused the rift." "Satoris sits in Darkhaven - seeking neither victory nor vengeance. He is not alone, for with him came his allies from the various races. And chief among them is Tanaros Blacksword, immortal Commander General of his army. Once a mortal man who was betrayed by king and wife, Tanaros fled to Darkhaven a thousand years ago, and in Satoris's service has redeemed his honor - but left his humanity behind." "Now a new prophecy has come that tells how the world could be made whole if Satoris were destroyed. In order to thwart the prophecy, Satoris orders Tanaros to capture the Lady of the Ellylon, the beautiful Cerelinde, to prevent her alliance with the last High King of Men." What neither Satoris nor Tanaros realize is that meeting Cerelinde will prove that not all of Tanaros's heart was turned to stone by his wife's betrayal, and that part of him is still very human. This will irrevocably change Tanaros's world forever - and could doom Satoris in the process.


Godslayer: Volume II of The SunderingGodslayer is the second in that series.  I bought Naamah's Kiss for my BFF too since she loves the first trilogy, though I'm not sure she's read the second.  But she should love it anyway.  And it's signed.  So that makes it more special.  


Anyway, after the reading Jacqueline Carey did a Q&A and there were a lot of writing questions.  Apparently a lot of writers in the audience!  I didn't ask any questions because she answered mine in my interview!  (Which is to be posted soon, btw!)  Also I hate yelling and I wasn't in the front.  I wasn't in the way back either though.   At one point she mentioned Phedre (her character from the first trilogy) and my daughter, Phaedra, said "mom that's my name, Phae'a'".  That was really cute.  It seemed quiet in there and like her voice was super loud, but I'm not sure it really was.  I was probably paranoid that she was bothering everyone.  If she was it was just super cute and no one was really bothered (I don't think).  
Someone asked about her travel and research because her world created is based on our own world and countries and she laughed and said all her travel is for research.   She does seem to do a lot of research on them and looks back in the history and then works from that.  She said the names she comes up with for the countries are sometimes ones she just makes up.  Other times it's something like a nickname of that place in real life, or a country that has the last name in our real world of someone in history, she just changed it to have that persons first name.  Whatever she does, they are unique names and and to me give nothing away of what country it is.  Well, most of the time.  Ch'in kinda gives it away for China though.  But once you read about it you can usually the country.  
Once the signing time came around I went and took the kids to the play area for awhile to let the line go down.  I came back and hopped in line with Violet and we met Jacqueline and I told her I was Candace, and here's Phaedra and she knew who I was (I've chatted with her a bit since I did the interview and she sent me books for giveaway).   We got pictures taken and she signed my HUGE stack of books.  Ummm, yeah, I had like ALL of her books.  
It was a GREAT time though and I'm so glad I finally got to meet my favorite author!  
Be sure to watch for my review of Naamah's Kiss and my interview with Jacqueline Carey and giveaway of Naamah's Kiss!  

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a great time!
    Great pics, and Phaedra sounds like she was sooo cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! I'm so happy that you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a wonderful time. I wish they had book signings around here.
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs