Thursday, June 10, 2010

Before I Fall Review

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver was one of those books that I lusted for after reading just one review.  I had a feeling it would be a book I'd fall in love with.  First of all let me tell you what it's about:


Before I FallDescription:

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? 

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.


My Thoughts: 
First of all this is not a happy book.  If you've read reviews before then you already know that Sam isn't the nicest person in the world, but really she pales in comparison to her friend Lindsey who will really piss you off!  But the whole time I found myself cheering for Sam to find her way.  Yes, I wanted to smack her a time or two.  I wanted to reach in to the book and change things at times (just kiss him already!).  But really this book was perfect.  It makes you think.  It makes you feel.  It makes you cry.  And it makes you want to be a better person.   


I read this while on vacation so it was more spread out since I had MUCH less time to read.  But I still had a hard time putting the book down.  If I'd been at home I probably would have sat down and read it in a day.  But since I couldn't I was afraid I'd lose some of the effect.  I didn't.  I finished this book almost a week ago now and it's still strong in my memory.  The impression left is still there.  


It's not a happy book.  It's an ending that left me not quite satisfied, but yet I knew to expect that.  So I guess it didn't anger me or anything.  I just felt sad.  But yet not.  I was so happy when Sam finally figured things out so I guess that overshadowed the sadness I knew was to come.


I had wished that it would have been a bit more mild on the drinking and sexual innuendo's as I really wanted my mom and sisters to read it.  But I'm afraid to pass it on to them because of that.  My sister had been picked on in High School and transferred because of it.  Because of her experience I wanted her to read it but I haven't passed it on to her yet or decided whether I will or not.


Oh, and I have to tell you guys this.  I was reading it while there were a bunch of people sitting around and visiting and my sister and her boyfriend were apparently watching me as I frantically read (I seriously was SO engrossed!) and my sister asked if I was skimming or actually reading.  I told her I was actually reading it and it was SO good!  And her boyfriend said that he has never seen anyone's eyes move so fast and it was seriously impressive.  That's when I told them the gist of the story and they said that it sounded boring.  The same day over and over?  Well, yes, but it's different!  Each day is different


I highly recommend this book, though it's for a bit older group, I would say. I suppose that anyone in high school probably hears the things said in this book everyday.  I feel lucky that there wasn't this problem when I was in school.  I never had issues with bully's.  And I don't know of anyone who did.  We were a small town and I was friends with kids in all of the different groups.  I had my group that were my best friends, but I occasionally hung out with what may be considered the 'popular' girls and also with the 'less' popular kids.  I was all over the place and it worked.  I had plenty of friends and I think everyone liked me.  I think.    But I realize that's not how it is most of the time and I feel for anyone who has been picked on.  Whether you've been picked on or not I think you'll love this book.  So pick it up and read it already!


5/5 Moons!


Lauren Oliver's Website| Blog
To purchase from Amazon:




7 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I really liked this book also, and I agree it is more for an older group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!
    I totally agree with you.
    And I enjoyed this book VERY much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I have been wanting to read this one too

    Thanks for the email about my raffle and doing a post for it

    The raffle would end on June 26th and here is the link to the details



    Thanks and I will put your name in for the special free book prize for those who have promoted or giving me suggestions (not sure what books yet, but there will be a choice for you) http://raymentsreadingsrantsandramblings.blogspot.com/2010/05/raffle-for-spina-bifida-hydrocephalus.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I've wanted to read this book for the longest time. I read a sampler on the kindle a few weeks ago and loved it. But I'm so behind on reading I decided to wait lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you liked it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book! It's one of my favorites of the year, I'm so glad you liked it. Can't wait to read the next book by Lauren Oliver!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this book. It is such a touching book, a definite must read for everyone! LOL, yes, every day was different, all those beautiful details made every day so new~ I'm definitely going to be re-reading it this summer. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs