Scorched by Mari Mancusi
Hardcover, 352 pages (I read an e-arc)
Expected Publication: Sept. 3rd, 2013 by Sourcebooks Fire
Source: Publisher
Trinity
Don’t leave me here... It starts with a whisper. At first Trinity thinks she’s going crazy. It wouldn’t be a big surprise—her grandpa firmly believes there’s a genuine dragon egg in their dusty little West Texas town. But this voice is real, and it’s begging for her protection. Even if no one else can hear it...
Connor
He’s come from a future scorched by dragonfire. His mission: Find the girl. Destroy the egg. Save the world.
Caleb
He’s everything his twin brother Connor hates: cocky, undisciplined, and obsessed with saving dragons.
Trinity has no idea which brother to believe. All she has to go by is the voice in her head—a dragon that won’t be tamed.
I was so excited to read this book, I just love dragon books and this one sounded fantastic! Unfortunately the book didn't live up to my expectations though I did enjoy some aspects of it.
The story line and idea of it all is great, I really loved the whole concept and the story itself. The mysteries unfolded pretty well and I wasn't really able to predict things most of the time. There's a lot of questions about who's right and who's wrong and it's easy to be swayed by both sides. I felt like it was one of those things where both groups are right, and both are wrong. They just need to find a better way to approach it. Clearly dragons ruin our earth in the future, but there's a possible explanation for that, or why dragons did that. So should we just stop the whole thing so there are no dragons, ever? It's easy to say yes to that. Until you actually meet the dragon. And then you get another story and see how maybe it's possible to not end up like that. There are twists and turns and reasons for everything, and I enjoyed the ride waiting to see where we ended up.
My biggest issues with the book were that I didn't connect with the characters. I didn't dislike Trinity, but I didn't like her either. I felt disconnected from my emotions in general while reading the book. I didn't have a favorite brother and felt pretty much nothing when it came to the romance, which was a love triangle and one that I definitely don't like. I could possibly even rant a bit about the romance, but I don't think it'll tell you anything knew, so I'll just leave it where it is. And the fact that I just don't really have anything to say about the characters at all definitely tells you something.
I've struggled a bit with the rating for this book. The total disconnect with the characters and even just not feeling much emotion when reading really speaks volumes, but I still think this book had so much potential to be great. The whole concept of it all is brilliant, I just wasn't feeling it. So I think maybe 2.5 stars would be my most accurate rating, but I'll round it up to 3.
Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book free of charge for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.





















Interesting cover- I have never seen it before. It really sucks when you can't connect to the MCs, it's been happening a lot lately for me.
ReplyDeleteLovely review, Candace! <33
Sorry you didn't enjoy this more. I really liked it.
ReplyDeleteI like that there are two sides to the story -- the humans and the dragons both with their own truths. Haven't read this one yet but I'm hoping I connect with the characters, though I'm frustrated by yet another love triangle. Why?!?
ReplyDeleteI thought this was going to be so amazing, but from your review and the others I have read, it doesn't seen that way. It does sounds pretty good still, so I might still give it a try. Great review.
ReplyDeleteThis was one of those that I really debated reviewing and ultimately decided against. I have only ever reaad one other book with dragons in it and while I liked it, I didn't love it.
ReplyDeleteI am glad this one was something you liked but sad you didn't love it and of course even more sad to hear about the dreaded love triangle.
Aw, sad day that you didn't connect with the characters but I love hearing the word dragon too
ReplyDeleteI LOVE dragons and I'm actually more into fantasy than into YA (more like Game of Thrones stuff), so this is really disappointing. I don't like YA fantasy-like books most of the time..
ReplyDeleteGah, I have this book but won't be able to pick it up until October and the disconnect makes me nervous. thanks for sharing your honest thoughts.
ReplyDeleteNo, I have to have that connection to the characters to me to really enjoy the book. I do like dragons though. Oh maybe if there is more and this is a series, I might try it if the connection is there in the next book. Still, brilly review!
ReplyDeleteHmm, this one sounds like it had a lot of potential, but if you have no connection to the characters or the story, then it won't be a success for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm digging dragons. I have seen this book around quite a bit and I think I'm going to have to give it a try. Lovely review.
ReplyDeleteOh too bad. I was really expecting a lot from this one because I love reading about dragons. At the other hand this is good cause my expectations are now lower so I'll maybe enjoy it more :) Great review :)
ReplyDeleteOh no! I'm sorry to hear this one didn't work as well as you'd hoped. It sucks that you couldn't connect with Trinity. I was already concerned about the love triangle, now that I'm hearing it didn't work for you, I'm even more wary. I've read reviews all over the spectrum on this one, and I was initially super excited to read this because dragons are AWESOME, but now I'm definitely going to adjust my expectations. Thanks for your honest review Candace! :-)
ReplyDeleteThis has a gorgeous cover. I read one of Mancusi's other books and had similar feelings about the MC. Great review, Candace.
ReplyDeleteDragons in Texas? That definitely sounds interesting!
ReplyDeleteOh no, once I can't connect to the characters, the book is basically DONE for me. A story about dragons is interesting, but I can't stand books that are "so so" now bc I've been falling into slumps too easily lately. Great review!
ReplyDeleteVi
Confessions of a Vi3tBabe
Deity Island
You're the second person who reviewed it as an emotionless book. I'm so disappointed-- I was looking forward to it! Great review!
ReplyDeleteOh dear. A MC you didn't connect with and a triangle romance you want to rant about? I think I will be staying away from this series. I'm thinking it's not for me! Thanks for sharing, I was wondering about this book.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard to get into a book when you cannot connect with the characters, even if you love the story line itself. Thanks so much for your review.
ReplyDeleteMan, I love dragon books so I'm disappointed to hear this one didn't really work. I guess I will just have to wait more on the sequel to Seraphina, for which I have high hopes!
ReplyDelete