Friday, September 20, 2013

Young Adult Review: All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry


All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry
Hardcover, 288 pages
Expected Publication: September 26th, 2013 by Viking Juvenile
Source: Gift

Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last.

All the Truth That's In Me is one of the most emotional books I've read this year.  I felt so much while reading it and for that reason I can definitely say I enjoyed it.

I was caught off guard with it being a historical fiction. I had read reviews so I guess I had forgot, but the cover had me thinking it was a YA or NA contemporary modern day book, maybe a mystery thriller.  Fortunately I like historical fiction, so once I settled in this wasn't a negative, it only caught me off guard. The next thing is that this is in 2nd person narration, Judith talking to the boy she loves (which is revealed pretty quickly).  I didn't like this narration and while I did settle into it eventually it was the one aspect I never did grow fond of.

The beginning was crazy intense for me because I desperately needed to know what had happened to Judith.  Pretty quickly we get pieces and can put it all together, or at least think we do.  There are still unanswered questions, but the way the story is told it wasn't really something I felt myself dying to know.  I felt like I had most of the answers and the pieces stopped coming until closer to the end when we discover there is more mystery, we just didn't really realize it.  Or we had forgotten because we were focusing on something else.  In my case it was the way that these townsfolk treated Judith (and some others).  She had been kidnapped and kept captive and they blame HER, they accuse HER.  Her own mother even treats her differently.  I felt so much anger at everyone and felt so horrible for Judith.  I desperately wanted her to speak up, to stand up for herself. And I understood, Judith is mute, but she also knows that no one will believe her.  I understand why she didn't speak up.  I have to say that the ending was immensely satisfying.  I was as happy as I could possibly be about it. 

I really liked Judith a lot, but it took me awhile to warm up to her, to feel like I knew her.  Through this unique narration we see a wider scope of her as we read.  Like a note in the beginning of the ARC I read says, it's like a pinprick that gets wider and wider and we see more and more as we read.  We know nothing but hints of things and as it goes on our knowledge of what's going on gets bigger and bigger.

We don't get to know Lucas well until the end, but we see memories of Judith's and know he's a good guy.  But because we are Judith we don't know how he feels at all until later.  I liked having a romance that wasn't really a romance at all.  At least not one with two people, because it's mostly just Judith loving him.  However, the ending is wonderful and the romance made me smile.  This definitely has one of the best endings I have read about.

While this is sometimes a slower paced story, it was never actually boring and for some reason I found it incredibly hard to put down.  I just wanted to keep reading.  So I read this book in under a day.  This is also a clean read and appropriate for younger YA readers but is still something that would appeal to mature YA readers and adults.
Disclosure: I received an ARC of this book as a gift from another blogger. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

20 comments:

  1. I've seen some reviews for this one and you all agree that this is very emotional read and these are my favorite. I had no idea that this was historical fiction, I though it was a contemporary book. I'm so glad you enjoyed. Great review Candace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The romance and characters were quite amazing, the 2nd person narration threw me off the slightest for a bit but I still ended up loving this book.

    Great review, Candace! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't interested in this until a slew of bloggers began talking it up and now I can't wait! I'm so glad the story was done right, not to mention the historical fiction elements, so I am thrilled that it's releasing soon! Lovely review, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is historical fiction? Did I know this? I think I did but it just doesn't present like historical for some reason. (Who knows how my brain works!) Still, it sounds amazing -- I don't mind a book that slows down in some parts as long as it's still difficult to put down during those parts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed that this was a historical too, I had no idea. I think the 2nd person narration would throw me off too but maybe now that I know about it I can accept it sooner? This really does sound like one I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea this was historical fiction! I'm curious to find out why she was kidnapped and what time period this book takes place. I think it's interesting that the book's marketing towards more a thriller/mystery book than historical fiction. I wasn't all too thrilled about this one to be honest but after reading your review my curiosity has piqued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good, although somehow I didn't know this was a HF, which would probably decrease the enjoyment battle for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's historical fiction. Wow, didn't realize that. Still, I love the way the books sounds. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really fantastic Candace! I think the second person narration would definitely take some getting used to, but I'm glad to know you were able to settle in after a while. I had no idea this was historical fiction either, I thought contemporary as you did, but I'm intrigued by the historical aspect so that just makes me want to read it all the more. Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a good book even if it did take a little longer to fully connect with the main character. I also like the sound of the book having a romance that isn't really a romance.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh snap! I'm so totally getting this! I'd think it would be a contemporary read too based on the cover. Thanks for reviewing this, I think I'll read this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know this was historical fiction; how interesting! I think it sounds really good and I'm certainly curious about the ending and what all happened to Judith. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cover rocks, and no, it doesn't indicate historical fiction at all. Second person is tricky, but I tend to enjoy it well enough. I'm glad All the Truth surprised you in a good way, Candace. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this sounds interesting... despite being emotional (I hate to cry). However, I love that you enjoyed the ending and I'm an ending girl. So going to have to check out this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo I didn't know this was a historical fiction..and I want to get all emotional and find out what happened!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'd enjoy this book despite it being historical. I'm not a fan as well and, wow. Is that cover misleading or what?

    Lovely review, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one is next on my list to read. I am pretty excited about it. I don't think I realised it was a historical fiction either. I am also curious about how I am going to like the second person narration. I don't think I've ever had a problem with it, but we'll see.

    Thanks for the review,

    ~Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been curious about this book to. I wouldn't have thought looking at the cover that it was historical fiction. I am glad that you ended up enjoying it. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I've ever read anything in 2nd person narration! Great review ;) I can't wait to read this ;)
    -Scott Reads It

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had no idea this was historical fiction either! The cover made me think it was contemporary. This sounds like a story I'd really enjoy. It's great that even though it was slower paced, you never tired of the story and couldn't put it down. I love hearing that about a book I'm about to read! Amazing review Candace :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs