The Master's Book by Philip Coleman
ebook, 236 pages
Published: March 15th by MuseItUp Publishing
Source: Author
In 1482 Mary, the last Duchess of Burgundy, lies on her deathbed in a castle in Flanders. She is only 24. In her final moments she makes a wish that, 500 years later, will threaten the lives of a boy and a girl living in Brussels.
The Master’s Book is the story of Sean, an Irish teenager, just arrived in Brussels to a house that is also a crime scene. Together with Stephanie, his classmate, he finds an illuminated manuscript, only for it to be stolen almost at
once.
Where did this manuscript come from? Who was it originally made for? Is there a connection with the beautiful tomb Sean has seen in Bruges? Above all, why does someone want this book so badly that they are prepared to kill for it?
Part thriller and part paper-chase, this book is aimed at boys and girls of twelve and over.
I really, really love international books. I live in the US and have lived here my whole life, seeing a different part of the world through books is one of my favorite things about reading and I'll admit that the setting of this book definitely made it even better for me!
Sean is an Irish teen now living in Brussels. The book takes place in Brussels and we see a lot of the city. I enjoyed all the adventures to the different places and loved learning more about the area now and it's history. The history is light, but there are little things that we find out. We hear things about Mary, the last Duchess of Burgundy, World War II (though don't worry, there's no nagging on the Germans or anything, there's actually a good word in there for them) and we also hear things about the Belgium occupation of the Congo. Sean's new friend Stephanie's mother is actually originally from the Congo and so we see some racism in the book (just by characters we briefly run into), which is addressed, but never becomes an actual issue (I loved how it was done actually). And I loved seeing diversity, which is what we see a lot of in this book. Not only is Stephanie half Congolese but they go to the European school, so the students are from all over. And Brussels itself seems to be a bit of a melting pot. The main languages are French and Dutch (and English, of course) so communication is something that's always sort of discussed, it's often an issue as not everyone knows every language.
I really enjoyed the characters. Sean is a quieter guy, not so bold and out there, and Stephanie is not at all shy. She speaks her mind and doesn't really hold back at all. I also loved that the parents were so important in the story and quite present, which isn't always the case in YA books.
The mystery is a lot of fun. There's some intense moments, but for the most part it's pretty light on the intensity. The book has a lot of normal teenage stuff, going to school, going to the movies, swimming practice, etc. But I personally enjoyed this. I liked seeing what a teenagers life in Brussels might be like. And having this mystery to figure out just moved it along and provided a bit of intensity making me even more eager to continue reading and finding out what's going on. I never did figured it all out until Sean did, so the author was quite clever with those clues!
I really enjoyed every moment of this book, it was a lot of fun and every moment was entertaining for me.
I want to clarify a few things, to help you know if this is a book you may enjoy. This is a YA book, but it falls into the middle category of MG or YA. For YA it felt a little young, but there were a couple of words we wouldn't see in middle grade, so just keep in mind that it's younger characters for the YA category. And while there were some words you wouldn't see in MG the book was actually quite clean.
Another thing you may want to take note of, this is an Irish author so the spellings and sayings are sometimes different from the US version. This is something I personally enjoy, but I have recently seen some that have thought these were editing errors (in other books, not this one) and that's not necessarily the case.
I highly recommend this one!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
I'm hosting a tour for this one! I recently posted tour sign ups. I am looking for hosts Dec 2nd-13th. You can find the tour page with sign-ups HERE.






















Thank you for the kind words, Candace, and for the useful guidance on readership age.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! I'm so glad I read this one!
DeleteI like the sound of this one, but I usually avoid historical themes. One thing that is definitely a big plus - Irish author.
ReplyDeleteGreat review, Candace.
There's no actual historical setting. And everything we learn that's historical is brief and light. Almost more in passing. It's about this old book so we have to learn something about it. Yay for Irish authors!
DeleteBooks set in places other than the US are definitely a good thing. I don't think I've seen one set in Brussels anytime recently, either!
ReplyDeleteYes! Just loved this setting!
DeleteI also love international books, but since I live in Europe and have seen a lot of it and only lived in New York, I really enjoy books set in the US since there are so many great states that I haven't been to and I love to read and learn more about them.
ReplyDeleteGreat review!
Andreea
Good point, and it makes sense! I bet if I lived in Europe I'd want to read about the US too!
DeleteThe mystery does sound fan and intense. Will be keeping an eye out for more reviews of this one.
ReplyDeleteGreat review, chick! <33
Thanks Mel! I hope you might consider giving this one a shot!
DeleteI love the setting and I am glad you said this is young YA, I have a niece who is MG..but reads at a higher level and wants a little more complexity ..this I think would excited her...woot! thanks Candace
ReplyDeleteYeah this might be perfect! I really struggled with what to label it, it really is right in between.
DeleteAwesome review. I do love reading books where it set in another country, like Australia or London. Love it.
ReplyDeleteYes, me too! I love to travel via books (for now)!
DeleteThis sounds like a great read Candace. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
ReplyDeleteI think you'd really like it Ali!
DeleteThis does good! I'm glad that it focuses on the city a lot and deals with some of the bigger issues well. I'm a big fan of international books as well, since I've never left the U.S. either.
ReplyDeleteI think you'd enjoy this one Lauren!
DeleteI'm like you. I love to travel in books as well. Oh this sounds fab. A fun book that I could share with the kidlets I know. :)
ReplyDeleteYes indeed'y Melissa dear!
DeleteFun and entertaining sounds great and glad to hear a good review since I haven't heard of it
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I introduced you to it!
DeleteThis is new to me, and I do like the setting, it sounds great. Wonderful review.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jenea!
DeleteGreat review. This is something that I think my nephew, who is in the 8th grade would like.
ReplyDelete8th grade is probably perfect for this one!
DeleteThis sounds like a good read for older MG or younger YA readers. I will keep it in mind!
ReplyDeleteYay! I hope you do!
DeleteWow its been forever since I was here last! Stupid Google Reader! Bah! I hope my membership is still active, if not I'm deactivating it!
ReplyDeleteI love books set in interesting locations too. That's why I love Daughter of Smoke & Bone so much because of how exotic Morroco sounded like.This one sounds like that too although I think this is too MG for my taste.
Lovely review,
Braine
I know, I was thinking that too when I visited your blog, it had been awhile! Google Reader went away but you can follow me on bloglovin'!
DeleteI agree about Daughter of Smoke & Bone, love that setting too!
"seeing a different part of the world through books is one of my favorite things about reading"
ReplyDeleteThis! I'm so with you on this one. I love it when a book is set in a location different from the US and it's even better if the setting is vividly described, which seems to be the case hear.
I also like how the girl is the bolder one out of the two characters. I wouldn't have picked this book up just from the cover, but you've changed my mind with your review, Candace.
Lovely review!
I agree, international books are really fun! One time when i was travelling through England I was reading Pickwick Papers, and I actually kept going to the different cities the story mentions as they go. It changed everything for me. It was seriously incredible! Everytime I think of that trip I can't help but remember certain parts of the book and the train ride!
ReplyDeleteThe Irish-Belgian combination would surely make my heart beat a little faster as well. And besides, I can never resist a good historical. They are few and far between. It might be a bit young for me but I'll still enjoy my time with Sean.
ReplyDeleteLovely review.
This one is already on my to read list, as I've read a lot of positive reviews about it :) I love Belgium (we have a vacationhome there) and I also love Ireland (really want to go there soon!)
ReplyDeleteI love so many things about this book: the setting, the historical context, the fact that one of the characters is named Stephanie :) I really want to check this one out for sure!
ReplyDelete