Monday, September 16, 2013

Young Adult Review: The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas


The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas
Hardcover, 464 pages
Expected Publication: September 17th, 2013 by Balzer + Bray
Source: Amazon Vine

It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life.

I just love high/epic fantasy! I getting introduced to new worlds and new ideas and this book wasn't short on new.  The world building was tremendous and wonderful. It was very creative and unique.  We get the mage realm (or realms) as well as historical London (1880's).  While we do get London and the real world, it's pretty light.  They attend school at Eton but the focus is so much on the fantasy aspects that it never felt historical fiction really, at all.  Each place we visited was easy to picture and imagine and I was able to immerse myself in the world completely.

When I first started reading the book I wasn't sure I was going to like Iolanthe.  She totally disregards any warnings and it just seemed stupid to do that.  Luckily she grows a lot through the book.  She has some points where I was slightly unsure what to think but as she gets more information and understands the consequences of things she starts to open her eyes and realize things.  I actually particularly liked Iolanthe when she had to be Fairfax, a boy student at Eton.  She played the boy role very well and it was entertaining to watch. I still am a little unsure about how I feel about the real Iolanthe, somehow I feel like I don't really know her still.

Titus was a character I liked straight away.  While he had to make some choices that were a little tough, I understood why he made the choices he did.  He also has two persona's, that of Titus the Prince, haughty, rude, obnoxious, self centered... and the real Titus, caring, strong, and willing to do whatever it takes to protect Iolanthe.  I liked, no loved, both Titus's.  Yes, the haughty Prince act was mostly just entertaining and I think knowing that it was just an act made me like it.  If he had really been that way I may not have liked him so much.  Titus is willing, even planning, to sacrifice himself for Iolanthe.  To bring down the Bane and the Inquisitor, his selflessness was refreshing.

The romance is a tad subtle.  It works well as these two are in for a rollercoaster ride.  I liked them getting to know each other for real before it becomes a real romance between them.  I am looking forward to the romance aspect of the book to develop more fully in the next book.

I think it's a very creative world and it's all rather complex and a tad complicated.  I think that some things may not have been described as fully as they could have, I felt like I didn't always grasp everything completely.  I think that as the trilogy continues this is something that will clear up and I'll grasp it all more fully.  I may have to do a reread though as I'm afraid I'll lose too many details before the next book is released.

Overall this was a great book.  It may not have made it to the WOW, it's amazingly EPIC category, but it was a pretty great start to a new series.
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

37 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this. I've heard good things about it and am excited my library is getting it. I already reserved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone seem to be reading this one and I keep hearing only great things about this one. I'm a huge fan of fantasy stories and this one seems like something I can't miss. Great review Candace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you enjoyed this overall, Candace! They way you decribe the romance as a rollercoaster ride has me intrigued.

    Fab review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this one, and I enjoyed the romance being underplayed. Glad you enjoyed it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this one! I loved how Ioanthe turned out and how Titus disguised himself -- both his selves -- to survive and try and fulfill his mother's prophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had such a hard time getting into this one for whatever reason. I am glad you enjoyed it more than I did Candace, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a complicated one and I can see how those who may not be the biggest fantasy fans wouldn't enjoy it as much.

      Delete
  7. I liked Titus right away too and agree this book had great world building

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved Titus! And yes, I'm anxious for more of this world!

      Delete
  8. I loved this book! The magic, the power the deception! WOOHOO! So excited to see what happens next. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely adored this one Candace! I'm glad you enjoyed it even if you're not entirely sold on Iolanthe just yet, I can't wait to see how she develops moving forward. I was in love with Titus from the beginning, and I was such a huge fan of the subtlety of their romance as you mentioned. It was a nice change of pace from insta-love/lust. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will like her more moving forward as her character by the end had really grown on me. I'm definitely anxious for the next book!

      Delete
  10. I've heard such good things about this book and I'm glad you really enjoyed it. I'm thrilled that the world building is great, it's really the make it/break it with fantasies for me. I'm not sure how I feel about Iolanthe from your review either but I guess I'll have to read and find out for myself. ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iolanthe does grow a lot, so it's something that will likely not be an issue in the future. I hope anyway.

      Delete
  11. I don't read much fantasy at all, but seeing how much everyone is loving The Burning Sky has me very curious.
    Great review, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be a little complicated to those who don't normally read fantasy but if you do give it a try I really hope it works for you!

      Delete
  12. This sounds really good Candace and you know how much I love and appreciate world building..eep, I am adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also had some initial problems with Iolanthe but then soon started to really love her. She was real and unlike all the other heroines who just jump ahead. And Titus!! YES Titus was so so ssoooo awesome!!! Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Titus was amazing! And Iolanthe did grow on me. I'm anxious for the next book and to see where things go with her.

      Delete
  14. I've already heard a lot about this Iolanthe chick I'm intrigued by her character. It sounds like a very character oriented read overall. I have seen a LOT of rave about this one which makes me both curious and kind of scared >.< This book now has to live up to very high expectations and all. But the world building sounds very well done, if a little intricate. I also heard it was hard to get into at first. Glad you liked it, Candace! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those rave reviews intimidate me as well. I think this one didn't quite live up to the hype I had in my head, but it was still very enjoyable.

      Delete
  15. I can love epic fantasy and then I can get bored with it. This one sounds like I would enjoy it. Oh I do think I need to try this... I love good world building.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have grown to love high fantasy so I can't wait to read this one! My copy from Amazon came today along with Kinslayer another book with a lot of fantasy. I've got some reading to do! I'll try not to be judgemental when I read Iolanthe's pages. I have read nothing but good things about this novel so I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it Heather! So jealous of Kinslayer, I'm DYING to read it!

      Delete
  17. lovely review! I don't usually go for epic fantasy, or much fantasy in general, but this one sounds pretty interesting. I like how Titus has two personas (I think I'd like the 'act' as well since it IS fake) and that the romance didn't build too much in the first book.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I liked that there was a nice build up for the romance and no insta love.

      Delete
  18. High fantasy was my first love! It's still my fave -- I'm really looking forward to this one. I have heard about the slower romance, I'll see how I like it when I read! The world building sounds really cool as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love fantasy, so I'm glad this one seems to be a promising start. I'll probably wait till the sequel releases before picking this up, but I'm thrilled it has your seal of approval!(:

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this one sounds so good-I've heard loads of great things about it and I think the fantasy elements sound amazing plus I love that it's in historical London!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs