Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Young Adult Review: The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider


The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider
Hardcover, 335 pages
Published: August 27th, 2013 by Katherine Tegan Books
Source: Library

Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: in one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life.

No longer a front-runner for Homecoming King, Ezra finds himself at the table of misfits, where he encounters new girl Cassidy Thorpe. Cassidy is unlike anyone Ezra’s ever met, achingly effortless, fiercely intelligent, and determined to bring Ezra along on her endless adventures.

But as Ezra dives into his new studies, new friendships, and new love, he learns that some people, like books, are easy to misread. And now he must consider: if one’s singular tragedy has already hit and everything after it has mattered quite a bit, what happens when more misfortune strikes?

Robyn Schneider’s The Beginning of Everything is a lyrical, witty, and heart-wrenching novel about how difficult it is to play the part that people expect, and how new beginnings can stem from abrupt and tragic endings.
This book has a lot of things I really love.  A male narrator, a quirky love interest and a whole cast of great characters. I also love that its a sort of in-between novel. It's not super heavy reading, but it's not fluff either.  There are plenty of 'issues' in the book without it being an 'issue' book.  It had funny parts, sad parts and parts that made me angry.  It brought out a full range of emotions and I enjoyed that.
I really liked Ezra a lot and it's amazing that a female author has created such a realistic (feeling) male character.  He felt very real to me and very genuine.  We see some before stuff right at the beginning of the book, and then we see when he's become the most popular boy in school, and then we see him after his accident and when he starts to realize he's someone else (not literally).  We watch as he struggles to find himself, but there's not really any crazy epiphany or dramatic scenes.  Ezra is a pretty calm guy and kind of a go with the flow sort of person. He did okay with the popular kids so he had stuck with them, but now he's kind of seeing that that's not him and he doesn't really even like them that much. 
The characters in this book were all great.  I love a full cast of well crafted secondary characters and this book definitely had it.  Cassidy was a quirky girl that we knew was full of secrets.  I found myself trying to figure it all out and while I had a decent idea of a twist, that twist had a twist.  So I didn't exactly predict, but I was close.  Cassidy was someone that was fun to read about but in real life girls like her are really stressful. They put out this exterior persona to hide themselves and you just never really know them. For that reason I felt very bad for Ezra because I knew there was going to be some drama at some point (and what kind of story would it be without any conflicts or drama?).  The ending was a sort of in between one, it was kind of a HEA, but yet kind of not.  I felt pretty satisfied with it though and I feel like it was realistic, which is what this book needed.
The book felt a tad slow in parts, but I was never bored.  It's kind of 'quiet' story I guess, with just a few 'louder' scenes.  But it's a fun journey and I enjoyed taking it very much! 

24 comments:

  1. I heard great things about this one. Glad you liked it so much!

    Andreea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading this and it had me hooked from the first sentence!I'm relieved that you found this still enjoyable despite a few slow areas.

    Great review, Candace <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my favorite part of this were the secondary characters. Of course, I liked the primaries and the main story as well but the kids at the lunch table were great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when a book can bring out a full range of emotions in me, always a good sign of a good author! I have seen this one around and have been curious about it. I am so glad you reviewed it today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds amazing! I'm such a sucker for male narrators, especially those who sound authentic and realistic. Add in a great cast of secondary characters and I'm sold.

    Great review, Candace! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have passed this book on my library's bookshelves with its bright yellow cover but I'm glad I read your review so I can actually pick it up now. I'm glad that it surprised you. Writing a male's pov especially by a female author isn't an easy task. The roller coaster on the cover definitely looks like a metaphor for your wide range of emotions. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that this has a male narrator and your term in-between is a perfect way to describe these books. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a great, male protagonist and quirky characters, too!
    I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Candace. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like quiet stories with great male narrators and quirky characters! I've seen so many great reviews for this book, definitely have to check it out soon. I really appreciate it when secondary characters are well done, too.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I like the sound of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this sounds like it will invoke a lot of different emotions, I like those types of reads. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SOUNDS WONDERFUL CANDACE AND LOVE TO READ IT!
    lindarb49@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh when the secondary characters rock, it makes me love it even more. I'm worried about the sort of HEA, but as long as you are satisfied, I think I'd be good with it. Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your review Candace. I agree, the secondary characters played a much bigger role than what the reader sees. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great you really liked this one. I like character-driven novels, and it sounds like this is one of those. I also really love the name Ezra. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ezra's authentic voice is definitely one of my favorite parts of this story. I also like the feel to the book- tackling some heavy issues in a very readable fun way. That's a great point. Also, the end is another favorite thing about this book, which sort of surprised me because I'm an HEA girl at heart. Glad this one worked for you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved this book so bad! Usually, I would scream at an ending like this, but here I found it made sense and I wasn't too sad about the ending. Ezra was a wonderful narrator!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have seen this book around and it sounds like a really great read.. I love it when second characters are actually part of the plot not only just there for decoration. Great review Candace :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard about this book somewhere else. I always think it's a fun story when a table of misfits is involved :) I'm glad there was so much about it that you liked!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep hearing such wonderful things about this book and about Ezra, I really should work on getting a copy soon. I don't mind slower books when they are the type that deserves my patience so this should work wonderfully for me.
    I'm happy you had fun reading it.
    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmm I do like when authors have a male narrator in their stories but this sounds a little slow for me. I might just get it from the library to try it out. Plus some high school drama was better left in high school and not something I want to read about all the time.

    Thanks for the great review, I'm glad you ended up liking this one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the male narrator aspect. I am glad you liked it for the most part. I am not sure about the ending, but I am glad you were satisfied with it. I may have to check this out when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your description of this as an in-between novel-it's not just laugh out loud comedy every page but it's not as dark and draining as other books (like Rose Under Fire!) Loved seeing your thoughts on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs