Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Young Adult Review: Absent by Katie Williams


Absent by Katie Williams
Hardcover, 184 pages
Published: May 21st, 2013 by Chronicle Books
Source: Library

When seventeen-year-old Paige dies in a freak fall from the roof during Physics class, her spirit is bound to the grounds of her high school. At least she has company: her fellow ghosts Evan and Brooke, who also died there. But when Paige hears the rumor that her death wasn't an accident--that she supposedly jumped on purpose--she can't bear it. Then Paige discovers something amazing. She can possess living people when they think of her, and she can make them do almost anything. Maybe, just maybe, she can get to the most popular girl in school and stop the rumors once and for all.

I love books with ghosts, especially those that aren't actually scary.  I don't think ghosts really have to be scary and I think it's silly that the library sticker has it labeled as horror.   This book wasn't scary in the 'horror' sense of it, but it's scary in the more realistic ways.  It's scary that teens do the things they do (adults too, actually), it's scary how some people will treat other humans, it's scary that we all can't be a little more open minded and accepting... I think you get my point.  The scary parts have to do with the stupidity of humans.  I can see how the thought of a ghost possessing humans can be scary, and in some books it would work as horror, in this one it was- and it wasn't.  It wasn't really scary for me though and I'm about the biggest chicken you'll find (seriously, I can't even watch most TV, it's too scary for me).

Everyone has a different opinion of whether ghosts are real.  I personally know they are.  (Yes, not think, but know.)  I think the idea of the kids dying and being stuck in the school and totally knowing what's going on, being lucid and not stuck in the past or something, is maybe less realistic- but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book.  I liked that these three different ghosts can communicate, at least they weren't alone, right?  And I enjoyed Paige's character even though she was a bit dark and angry, I could totally understand why.  I felt through the book that there had to be something else going on, that there was this mystery that needed to be solved, but the clues weren't obvious enough for me, I didn't get even close to figuring things out. 

The writing in this book is really good.  It's done in a way that I don't know exactly how to explain how or why it was remarkable, but it was.  It was also impossible to put down, so it's a good thing it's a short book. Even though it's 184 pages, those are long pages.  I felt I could cruise through the book in an hour and that wasn't the case. So it is smaller print or something.  Either way, it's still a fast read and I enjoyed every moment.  I particularly liked reading a book that was ridiculously hard to put down

I most definitely recommend this one to people who enjoy reading about this subject, as long as you are aware this isn't some horrifically scary story.  Be prepared to sit and read for a few hours though, cause once you start- you won't stop until you're done!

37 comments:

  1. I never would have pinned this for a ghost book because the cover reminds me of faeries, strangely enough. I have been hearing that the writing by this author is really good!

    Lovely review, Candace! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is similar to a series of faerie books, so maybe that's where you got that from. I wouldn't have guessed it was a ghost story either. I had read a lot of reviews and that's only reason I even had a desire to read it.
      She is a great writer!

      Delete
  2. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on this one but after reading your review I would be willing to give this one a chance, I think I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cover's been used before, hasn't it? Maybe that's why Melanie got the faerie idea. And I do agree that ghosts are real. I can't explain it but, yeah. Not sure this book is for me but it does sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's similar to a series of faerie books. Not the same, but similar.

      Delete
  4. YA know I actually picked this up at the library then put it back. I'm kinda sad about that now.

    This sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Melanie, I would never have thought this was a ghost story much less a ghost who is rooted to her high school! That's definitely one of the last places I would want to be. Not sure if I'm the right reader for this book but you make me curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the ghosts died in the school, so that's the only way I could have accepted them being stuck there. But it worked pretty well and there was a good mystery to it all.

      Delete
  6. I'm a fan of non-scary ghost stories as well Candace, so I'll have to give this a try. Plus, now I'm all curious about you and ghosts! There's obviously a story there:) And only 184 pages? Gotta love a quick, unputdownable read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have quite a few ghost stories. I'm always a little afraid to share my experiences because of skeptics. I know what I experienced was real- but they just think I'm crazy and I hate that. But maybe I'll write something up for Halloween, that might be fun.

      Delete
  7. I like non-scary ghost books, too. I think I would like this one, it seems like a thoughtful story. Thanks for the review!

    I have a good recommendation for you, The Mackinnon Curse series, by JA Templeton. It is an excellent ghost series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thank you Andrea! I LOVE anything ghosts so I'm off to check it out right now!

      Delete
    2. Oh the first was free for kindle, so I grabbed it! Thanks Andrea!

      Delete
  8. Ghost stories always intrigued me. Especially since they have unfinished business or a mystery to be solved. Loved this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I like them a lot when there's a bit of a mystery, big bonus!

      Delete
  9. I really do like ghost stories (and I believe ghosts are real too). I've actually heard of this one but never read it. I think I should though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ghost stories and like you, I totally believe they're real. I'm more frightened by them than other kinds of monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo this sounds perfect for fall! Loving the cover, and yep I believe in ghosts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my kind of horror book. :D I like those labeled as horror but aren't scary at all! I also love that you couldn't put it down. Must add this one to the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cover on this one! I always think book categories can be so subjective. On Audible, all zombie books are shelved in sci-fi, and vamp/werewolf books are shelved in fantasy. Isn't that strange?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I completely believe that ghosts are real! This one sounds perfect for me...not too scary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a fan of ghost stories, mostly because I'm terrified, but this sounds interesting. I like how realistic the book seems and you've definitely made me curious. The writing sounds wonderful!
    I'll be sure to check this out from the library.
    Fabulous review, Candace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like ghost stories that aren't scary too. I think the spooky ghost story is overdone sometimes. This book seems good Candace :)

    Thanks for the great review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been looking forward to your review on this one. It sounds really good, and I'm glad, because I wanted it to be a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been on the look out for a good ghost book. I read Life After Theft but that was more of a comedy with ghosts than a drama. Thanks for pointing this one out. Adding it to my TBR right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the subject of ghosts and sounds like it is well written

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a good one. I prefer ghost books where the ghost is more substance than spook, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. First, I have to agree with you about ghosts. I happen to know they're real too. :) Second, I really enjoyed this one too, I loved every second of it to be honest. And the writing IS a bit hard to describe, but it's somehow elegant and engagind and it makes you pay attention to every word.
    Lovely review, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed this one too. I am so glad that you liked it. Fantastic review!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sound pretty interesting. I sometimes like ghost books. I am really glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really loved this one too! So glad to hear you enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. I couldn't believe how short it was, but you're right, the pages are small type or something, so I think that's why. I agree that the writing was so strong, I think that's why I couldn't put it down. And yes, I believe ghosts are real too! Lovely review Candace :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I agree, it's not the supernatural that's scary, it's people. They do some crazy stuff that often boggles my mind! Sucks that this wasn't overtly scary though, as I've been in the mood for that lately, lol. But it does sound interesting. Great review!

    Vi
    AKA Vi3tBabe
    Deity Island

    ReplyDelete
  26. This: "I love books with ghosts, especially those that aren't actually scary." This is so me too! I even like some ghost/human romances to be quite honest though I couldn't read them all the time. I feel like this would be better classified as mystery in the library system.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs