Saturday, September 28, 2013

Children's Book Review: Mary Had a Sleepy Sheep by Julia Dweck


Mary Had a Sleepy Sheep by Julia Dweck and illustrated by Wilson Williams Jr.
kindle, 20 pages
Published: August 13th, 2013 by Xist Publishing

Young Mary had a little lamb.
His name was Sheppard sheep,
And everywhere that Mary went
That sheep was sure to sleep.

This is not your average Mother Goose nursery rhyme. In this hilarious parody, poor Mary has one very sleepy, slumbering, snoozing sheep named Sheppard and Mary’s mom is not happy.

Can Mary can keep her sleepy sheep awake?

Young readers will laugh along at Mary’s zany attempts, as she tries everything from spicy-hot fiestas to water fights. The humor is fast and fun in this easy to read rhyming adventure.

Mary had a Sleepy Sheep is a fun play with the original tale from the Mother Goose nursery rhyme.  This story is adorable and SO much fun!  The words are rhyming and easy for children to memorize.  It's fun for the adults and the children alike.  It's one that will have the whole family in fits of giggles!

The illustrations are adorable and fill the pages. They match this story incredibly well and are very fun.

I recommend this one to children pre-reading age, to the age where they are just learning to read.  Because my children know the original nursery rhyme this was even more fun for them and my 4 year old and 8 year old both enjoyed it.

I very highly recommend! If this was in paperback it would be my go-to gift for all my nieces and nephews!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way. 

8 comments:

  1. Even I have heard of this rhyme when I was little. I didn't understand a word then. Anyhow this sounds like a really sweet read. I wish parents read more to their children and hopefully they'll read this one. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! This sounds so cute, I immediately thought of Mary Had A Little Lamb and Baa Baa Black Sheep.

    Fabulous review, Candace! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable and funny! I must get this for my six year old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! I really think my 5yo would enjoy this as well. Thanks for the review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds adorable, love it! Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Sounds so cute!

    Andreea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure Ben will like sheep. He's into pigs right now. For the past week he has been watching Charlette's Web over and over and over again. And only certain parts. I can never get him to sit through and watch the entire movie. Just sections of it. Since I'm am tiring of his pig obsession, maybe I should get him into sheep.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs