I'm excited to be the next stop on the Resilient blog tour! This tour has been organized by me and you can find all the tour stops on the tour page. Make sure you check them out because you can get extra entries into the giveaway to win a kindle paperwhite!
Resilient by Patricia Vanasse
336 pages
Published: Sept 3rd, 2013 by Pants on Fire Press
Source: Author
Livia has never felt like she fits in. As normal as it sounds, Livia is anything but ordinary. She can feel every emotion of every single person around her, and it’s maddening. In pursuit of some psychic quiet, she moves with her family from New York City to Whidbey Island in the lush and sleepy Pacific Northwest. But when a horseback riding accident in her new home gives her a broken leg that heals in a day, she finds that another unexplainable ability has manifested, and her life isn’t about to get any easier.
Adam has no problem fitting in and making friends. In fact, he’s the top of the school, the boy everyone knows and loves. However, people only see what he allows them to. No one knows what Adam is truly capable of. After witnessing Livia’s accident, Adam sees something intriguing in her quick recovery, something that gives him hope that he’s not alone.
Adam is the only one whose emotions Livia can’t read. Afraid of not knowing what goes on behind his dark eyes, Livia decides to keep him at a distance. Yet the more she tries to ignore him, the more alluring he becomes, and while their personal quests for identity will inevitably bring them closer together, it is the confirmation of what they really are that threatens to tear them apart.
Resilient, told in alternating point of views, is a gripping story of survival and romance, in which two teenagers face the consequences of being anything but normal.
When it comes to YA sci-fi/paranormal I'm gun-shy. At just the hint of a love triangle or insta love or over angsty characters has me cringing and expecting the worse. So when I picked up Resilient I felt like I was 'waiting for it' for one of those things to come along and trip up my enjoyability of the book. But immediately I felt like this book wasn't going to pull those familiar moves, it had a different vibe to it and I was immediately sucked into the story.
I was happy to find that Livia knows all about her powers, as does Adam. There was no big reveal with crazy overreactions. And while they had new ones show up they both were pretty accepting of it even though they weren't completely happy with it since it caused issues in some aspects of their life. When Livia's family moved to Whidbey Island from NYC she meets Adam and though they have a rocky initial meeting the drama ends up being low as they get to know each other better. While there was a tad bit of drama when it came to opening up to each other, it ended up being not quite as big of a deal to me as I understood the problems they could face if they told someone and that person didn't react well.
I liked Livia a lot and found she wasn't the annoying character I so often find these days. She's pretty strong and able to stand on her own. She loves her family even though her father and uncle aren't so great at opening up to her about what they know about her past (she's adopted) and her birth parents. She loves horses and appreciates all she has (she's pretty spoiled in the sense that she has everything she could really want, but she doesn't act spoiled).
Adam doesn't get along with his family so well but it's clear he loves them. He's suppose to be this player who goes through girls like crazy, but we never see that side of him. He's sweet and kind and doesn't play games when it comes to his friends, family and girlfriend. He's a truly good guy who does the best he can for everyone. I really liked his personality a lot and loved the way he treated other people. I'm tired of the boy that's always trying to push people away and is rude and obnoxious. That was definitely not Adam.
The romance is a tad fast, but it didn't feel like insta-love to me so I was able to move past that without it bothering me. They spend enough time together and we get enough 'moments' with them to feel on board with it. While there ends up being a bit of drama regarding some issues with them, it wasn't something that really bothered me much. I actually understood it even if I was really wishing they would figure it out. Luckily it's not the overly angst ridden drama where they push each other away and then try to hook up with other people to forget each other (I hate that!) and I was happy with how everything played out.
The whole plot of this book is really great. It's more along the lines of sci-fi and in the way it's explained it's almost easy to imagine this could really happen. I loved how it ended up playing out in the end and it made me very eager for the next book while still having a somewhat decent conclusion without a major cliffhanger.
I highly recommend you check this book out and give it a try!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
Patricia Vanasse was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Now she lives on Whidbey Island in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, two adorable children, and two crazy dogs. She has been trough Culinary Arts, Psychology, Law School, and now has finally found her passion in creative writing. She also loves traveling, cooking, and is an avid reader. Her strength- believes that everything is possible. Her weakness- an obsessive relationship with caffeine.
http://patriciavanasse.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/PatriciaVanasse
https://www.facebook.com/AuthorPatriciaVanasse
.png)


.png)




















great giveaway! thanks for chance to win!
ReplyDeleteI was so happy that this book didn't have insta love nor love triangle. You're right with paranormal books they tend to jump from every page!! I loved how love developed easily here and they're so sweet. Great review :)
ReplyDeleteThat's great you loved this one so much. I like that the sci-fi aspect of it seems realistic enough; not a requirement for me, but it's still cool!
ReplyDeleteAh--for once, everyone knows what's going on! Yay! I mean, I like stories when they find out they have powers or whatever but it's getting a bit cliched...
ReplyDeleteSo glad you loved this one too Candace! I agree that it is getting harder and harder to pick up YA books these days. Too much angst and drama lately, which is really too bad. You said it perfectly though, that this one has a totally different vibe to it and in a very good way. :)
ReplyDeleteOhhh and empath. Love that. I think I would like this book, Candace. Thanks for the heads up!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear this book is not what you expected. I certainly have this horrible feeling about love triangles. It sounds great.
ReplyDeleteinsta-love.. I steer clear of this because I really, really can't stand it. It ruins the entire book for me. So as much as I can I scourge reviews for insta-love or even a hint of it before I read YA. Good this the author was skillful with this one, it sounds like the fast paced love affair made sense.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you loved this one Candace! I really liked that they both new about their gifts upfront as well, and there was no reveal and subsequent fall out as you said. It was far more interesting for me that way:) Can't wait to see what you think of book 2!
ReplyDeleteSounds great!! Thanks for the post and giveaway!! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat review !
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read this one. : )
stamper_sierra@yahoo.com
Glad you enjoyed this book, it sounds great. Thanks for the chance to win it!
ReplyDeleteThe plot sounds good and romance besides being a bit too fast
ReplyDeleteThanks for a chance to win..
ReplyDeleteWow, that's really high praise. I always dread instalove/love triangles/cliffhangers when I go into these things, and so rarely do I find something that is entirely cliché free.
ReplyDeleteI don't mind romances that develop quickly if it's done convincingly. Sometimes it happens in life too.
Great review, Candace!
I really adores this one, the romance being fast really didn't bother me either. I am looking forward to reading the next book.
ReplyDeleteWonderful review and even though the romance moved fast I am glad the author made it believable :)
ReplyDeleteOh if you are hesitant but end up loving it... that speaks volumes. I think I hate insta love more than triangles, but I can deal as long as there is no cliffie. I hate those worse. LOL This does sound fab and with your huge praise it makes me want to read it.
ReplyDeleteIt is always great to hear it isn't a insta-love story. Unfortunately that happens with a lot of paranormal romances these days. I enjoy the build up of romance. The getting to know you phase is the best part! Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds really good and I like the cover :3
There HAVE been a surge of annoying characters eh? I'm finding that too! I'm glad Livia broke the mold on that aspect at least. She sounds like a great character and I love the addiction of family in any book, I'm finding. It's just more realistic to me. Not sure how I would feel about the romance though a fast moving romance rarely makes me feel any sort of connection from the characters involved. Glad you enjoyed it, Candace! I'm
ReplyDeleteThis book seems really good, and it is the type of book I love! This book is definitely going on my TBR list!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the chance to win!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the awesome giveaway. I loved the book.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the great giveaway!
ReplyDeleteYes, I also like it when gifts or paranormal elements are established. It gives room to develop the characters much better. It really sounds like a great story! Thanks Candace:)
ReplyDeleteAnother great Y/A author to read!
ReplyDeleteI love the cover of the book! Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI've been reading so many good reviews on this book. I've already got it on my list to read as soon as I can work it in.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a wonderful book! Beautiful cover!
ReplyDelete~Veronica Vasquez~
No stupid plot-wasting over-drama, no triangles, a strong female protagonist AND it takes place on an island I can see from my house?! I'm in! :D
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI was on Candace book blog
ReplyDeleteI love finding YA that is very good. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway and the chance to win :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post and giveaway ;)
ReplyDeleteTHe cover draws me in...plus it sounds like a great read!! thanks for the giveaway and the tour..such a great way to find new books..
ReplyDeleteNeed to read! I have a thing about books being set near where I live, it makes me love them more. Always fun to read a book and see place names you know :) (Go PNW!)
ReplyDeleteI have followed this tour a bit and am really looking forward to reading Resilient. Thank you for participating in the tour and fun :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a more refreshing YA book!
ReplyDelete