Friday, March 29, 2013

Wasteland Blog Tour: Author Interview & Give@way!

Wasteland by Susan Kim & Laurence Klavan
Welcome to the Wasteland. Where all the adults are long gone, and now no one lives past the age of nineteen. Susan Kim and Laurence Klavan’s post-apocalyptic debut is the first of a trilogy in which everyone is forced to live under the looming threat of rampant disease and brutal attacks by the Variants —- hermaphroditic outcasts that live on the outskirts of Prin. Esther thinks there’s more to life than toiling at harvesting, gleaning, and excavating, day after day under the relentless sun, just hoping to make it to the next day. But then Caleb, a mysterious stranger, arrives in town, and Esther begins to question who she can trust. As shady pasts unravel into the present and new romances develop, Caleb and Esther realize that they must team together to fight for their lives and for the freedom of Prin.
Buy Links:

I haven't yet read the book but I did my best trying to come up with a few questions for them! Let's welcome Susan Kim and Laurence Klavan!


  1. So we can get to know you a little better can you tell us 5 interesting facts about yourself?

      LAURENCE:
1)      I have a twin brother.
2)      My father was a radio disc jockey.
3)      I have a sharp point at the front base of my neck that I’ve been told is a gill from when I used to be a fish, so apparently I haven’t completely evolved (I’m not kidding, that’s what they said)
4)      I threw all my guests out of my own bar mitzvah party
5)      During a fight when we were kids, my older brother landed on my knee so hard he dislocated it and we saw the bone sticking out. Then, terrified, as I screamed in pain, he knocked it back into place (I’m not kidding, this happened)
      
SUSAN:
1) I was once swept out to sea when I was about ten years old. I was wearing an inflatable life vest and found the sensation of pulling pulled out by the waves so pleasant, it didn’t occur to me that it was a bad idea. I was maybe half a mile out and I saw all these people running around onshore, pointing at me and screaming. They had to send a boat out to get me.
2) I love cats. Actually, I like most animals, including the ugly, creepy, and squishy ones… but I really, really love cats. They’re beautiful, have a remarkable sense of themselves, and are often really funny, too.
3) I hate bananas.
4) When I was six, I cut my wrist by accident and had to go to the hospital to have it stitched up. It was like a war zone in the emergency room: there were at least four or five other kids in there, and they were all screaming their heads off. I didn’t make a sound and afterward, the nurse said to me, “you’re braver than a boy.”
5) Other than that fleeting moment of bravery/stoicism, I cry really easily. In fact, I bet I could make myself cry right now if I wanted to.


  1. Now, for those of us who haven't read the book yet, can you tell us 5 things about it that aren't in the description?

1)      At one point, Caleb hides out in a school, and he and Esther have no idea what the building is for.
2)      Since virtually no one reads, there’s rampant ignorance. No one knows how to boil water to purify it. And the only way people know how to eat is by breaking into homes and stores, “Gleaning” old packaged food that’s just barely edible like dried beans, honey, salt, etc.
3)     Other than the cats owned by one of the characters, there are no more domesticated 
     animals. Feral dogs, descendants of house pets, roam the streets in packs.
4)        Teenagers can get married and have kids, but it’s a lot different than it is in the     
present day.
5)    There’s a love scene in a cemetery.

  1. If you could travel to any time and any place where would you choose to go, and why?

SUSAN: You mean “travel” as in a vacation and I’d definitely be coming back, right? Because no matter how cool the past is, I keep thinking about useful modern stuff… like, I don’t know, antibiotics! But that being said, I think I’d be most interested in traveling to either Paris in the 1920s or New York City in the late 1940s. Both were sophisticated, impassioned, and intellectual places where men and women were doing cool things in art, literature, fashion, music, and theatre… probably in reaction to the horrors of the two world wars. But they must have been amazing cities to visit!
LAURENCE: I think those two periods would be great, too. I also think the turn of the (last) century in America would have been interesting, with writers like Jack London, Edith Wharton, Henry James, Ambrose Bierce, and O.Henry around. As long as you could come back and get penicillin and your email, things like that.

  1. What is your #1 most recommended book?

SUSAN: That is SO not fair a question… there are too many! I’m staring at my bookshelves in total panic, thinking “that one. No, that one. No, that one.” I guess I would have to say…umm, ohh, errr… I can’t! Okay, okay… how about Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, better known as Alice in Wonderland? It’s really delightful, unique and trippy in a highly influential way, and both funny and unsettling. At the same time, it manages to treat the central character with detail, respect, and affection. It’s a terrific example of writing for children, in that the book serves the young reader, not vice-versa.

LAURENCE: I agree, there are too many. As far as books about young people go, Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is one of the greatest. And J. G. Ballard’s Empire of the Sun.

  1. One thing I always like to ask authors is if there's something they have a passion for that they want to share with the world.  Like some donate time or money to certain organizations, some are passionate about improving the health care system, the list goes on.  What is something you feel strongly about?

LAURENCE: I mostly worry, stew, and dwell, which obviously isn’t enough. But the arts are important to me. When I have it, I donate money to groups that allow people to plan their families—or not have them at all. And to people who provide shelters for animals.

SUSAN: I mostly donate money to environmental, animal protection, and international aid groups. I mean obviously, I’m not Bill Gates, and I know what I contribute isn’t necessarily going to make a big difference in the world; but still, these are causes that break my heart and depress me and make me furious. And as someone who also writes a lot for television, I also volunteer for the Writers’ Guild of America East. That’s a trade union made up of TV, film, news, and digital writers. I not only like writers, I like helping them stick up for their rights. 

  1. Last question, what can we expect to see from you in the future?

SUSAN: The next two books in our series will be coming out over the next two years: Wanderers and Guardians. Without giving too much away, I can tell you that the second book follows Esther and her friends after an earthquake drives them out of Prin and they head north for a better life. In the third book, they’re settled in their new home, but an unexpected series of events threatens their existence. We’re really excited about both of them; there’s a huge amount that happens to Esther, Caleb, Skar, and the others. They meet many people, some kind and helpful and the others decidedly not. And the central characters change, as well, in major ways.

I also hope to continue writing by myself and with Laurence; we’re always talking about possible ideas for new projects. And I’ll most likely be writing children’s TV, which I’ve been doing for years, now… the most recent is an episode I did for a new PBS show called “Peg + Cat.”

LAURENCE: I have a book of short stories for adults coming out in 2014 and a play in development in New York. And, of course, there are the next two “Wasteland” books with Susan and, hopefully, more graphic novels.



Okay, wasn't that great?!  Clearly these two are very funny people.  I'm definitely going to have to give this book a read! I too hate banana's.  I can't even stand the smell of them.  YUCK.

Author's Links:
Laurence Klavan Website: http://www.laurenceklavan.com/works.htm
Susan Kim - http://www.harperteen.com/authors/38626/Susan_Kim/index.aspx?authorID=38626

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Other tour stops:
 
Monday, March 25thSciFi Chick – guest post
Tuesday, March 26thThe Irish Banana – author interview
Wednesday, March 27thIB BookBlogging - character profile/excerpt
Thursday, March 28thThe Nocturnal Library – guest post
Friday March 29thCandace’s BookBlog – author interview

Monday, April 1stThe Book Swarm – this or that list
Tuesday, April 2ndSupernatural Snark – character profile/excerpt
Wednesday, April 3rdAlison Can Read – author interview
Thursday, April 4th – Bewitched Bookworms – guest post
Friday, April 5thAlice Marvels – guest post

24 comments:

  1. Add me to the "I hate bananas" list! Not a fan at all. Something about the texture - the squishiness - my gag reflex kicks in just thinking about it. Also, I can make myself cry on command too. Don't know how I discovered that I can do that, but there you go. Loved this interview so much!

    Awesome questions Candace, thank you for being a part of the tour:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they really are funny. :D Thanks for sharing the interview.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. I would probably freak out if I got swept out to sea. All I would be thinking about is Jaws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vestigial gills? Huh -- I've not heard of that. Do your friends call you AquaMan? Heehee.

    And that favorite book question was sooo not fair, girl! Any reader knows there are hundreds of "favorite" books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Candace... we love your blog and your readers! And thanks, Jenny, again for setting this all up. You both rock!

    best,
    Susan & Laurence

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope you read this one Candace, I really think you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of this book before now, but based on how funny the authors are, I bet it's great. It's amazing how much you can learn from a few questions.
    Great interview, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview!! The authors sound really fun. It's funny, when I hurt myself I am super tough about it, but I cry at everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had this book sitting on my shelf it sounds great but the reviews have been mediocre at best. The characters sound fun though, and also, no one reads? *gasp*

    ReplyDelete
  10. For some crazy and unexplicable reason, I thought this is a standalone. Shows what I know!
    I always wondered what it would be like to have a twin brother or sister, I think it's the coolest thing. Laurence is very lucky.
    Also, I'll have to challenge Susan to outcry me if she can. I don't cry often, but I CAN cry on demand.
    I loved being on this blog tour.
    Thanks for sharing, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview I can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoying the interview! I am curious about the gill. :) Also, must pet a kitty now too. :D

    Hm... I must be the weird one here... I do like bananas. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview...and really...who could pick just one favorite book? I could never!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic interview! You asked such fun questions. Choosing a favorite book is nearly impossible, but they have some great selections. I am reading Empire of the Sun for book club, OMG it's SO amazing. I want to read everything by Ballard now.

    And I feel the same way as Susan—it sometimes seems when you give to charities that you might not be making a difference (it's a drop in the bucket, right?) but if enough of us non-Bill Gates type people do it we can make a difference. And hooray for supporting writers!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the giveaway. I would love to read this book. It sounds very good. I enjoyed the interview. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, those five facts were definitely interesting and a bit strange. :D I think Wasteland sounds like a great story and I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the awesome interview! Now I'm very interested in this book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome interview. This is the first I've heard of the authors and their book. They both sound interesting, which means this book will be a wild thrilling read =)
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hadn't heard of this until now, but I loved the facts that each author shared! I love cats, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice interview. I always wondered what it was like to have a twin. And thanks so much for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  21. looking forward to reading this one, maybe i will win a free copy to speed me along! Thanks for the giveaway & content!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny interview! Thanks for the giveawy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thsi is great book and love the out side cover

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs