Funny enough I'm piling up the middle grade review books (we've been reading like mad around here!) so I figured I'd better double up here since one is out and one is out very soon!
Destiny, Rewritten by Kathryn Fitzmaurice
Hardcover, 176 pages
Published: Feb. 19th, 2013 by Katherine Tegan Books (Harper)
Source: ALAMW
Des·tin·y: |destinÄ“/
(noun) The hidden power believed to control what will happen in the future; fate.
Eleven-year-old Emily Elizabeth Davis has been told for her entire life that her destiny is to become a poet, just like her famous namesake, Emily Dickinson. But Emily doesn’t even really like poetry, and she has a secret career ambition that she suspects her English-professor mother will frown on. Then a seeming tragedy strikes: just after discovering that it contains an important family secret, she accidentally loses the special copy of Emily Dickinson’s poetry that was given to her at birth. As Emily and her friends search for the lost book in used bookstores and thrift shops all across town, Emily’s understanding of destiny begins to unravel and then rewrite itself in a marvelous new way.
In her third novel, Kathryn Fitzmaurice again weaves a richly textured and delightful story about unexpected connections, about the ways that friends can help us see ourselves for who we truly are, and about the most perfect kinds of happy endings: those that happen just on time.
This book. This book put a huge smile on my face. I rarely feel such a fondness for characters, like I really, really loved the characters in this book. So, so, SO much! For me these are like David Levithan and John Green's characters at age 11. I don't know if that's precisely correct, but it's pretty darn close. I do know Emily stood out to me just as much as any of their characters.
Emily was names after Emily Dickinson and has been told her whole life that it's her destiny to be a poet. Her mom is a poet and had this whole 'moment' when holding an Emily Dickinson book when trying to come up with a name. So she's just sure that it's Emily's destiny to be a poet. But Emily doesn't really 'get' poetry. She doesn't really have an urge to write it at all. When her book goes missing (there's much more to the story) that has her whole life written in it (it's a poetry book by Emily Dickinson that her mother has recorded every special moment in) Emily feels like destiny has just changed. So while searching for her book she decides to switch things up a bit and not be so predictable and organized. She's obviously a bit of a perfectionist. She doesn't like clutter or anything 'out of place'. This refers to her life as well. So suddenly she allows herself to step on the cracks on sidewalks, not line her shoes up by color, let a spoon sit in the sink instead of washing it immediately, etc. All these small little things can so easily change her destiny. And in this book we do see how these small little things DO make a difference and can change our life. This is more obvious at the end, but it was so fun getting there.
Emily has a lot fun quirks I love. She may be 11, but sometimes she feels like a 30 year old lady. No, not in a bad way! She's very mature I guess. But yet, she's not. Somehow the author managed to make Emily an authentic sounding 11 year old, but a very worldly one. One that's very smart and precocious, I guess. Emily loves reading the endings of romance novels and writes them all on index cards. She also writes regularly to Danielle Steel (whose books she has all read) and tells her almost everything going on in her life. In this book she starts taking a romance writers class (college students put it together, she's obviously too young, but they accept her) and starts going to poetry readings.
All the other characters were extremely well fleshed out and easy to imagine and connect with. Her cousin Mortie will have you ROLLING. Seriously, funniest character EVER! And her mom will put a smile on your face. Her best friend Wavey and her have the best conversations you'll ever read and will have you LOL. Very, very fun!
I read this one aloud to my kids at night and it was so hard to stop reading! I think I would have liked to just sit back and enjoy it all at once and maybe would have liked it even more (if that's possible). I just know I loved this book with all my heart and it's one I will certainly reread. It's adorable and so fun! It's kind of a 'middle' middle grade book. The kids were left on their own a lot and had some adventures I wouldn't want my 8 year old to consider just yet. There's also a touch of romance in it and some kissing talk (no actual kissing or anything though). So I think I'll probably give this one back to her when she's 10 or 11 as that's about the perfect age for this book.
Buy this book and read it, you'll adore these characters!
Disclosure: I received this book free of charge at ALAMW. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
Frogged by Vivian Vande Velde
Hardcover, 208 pages
Expected publication: April 2nd 2013 by Harcourt Children's Books
Ages: 9 and up
Source: ALAMW
One should be able to say of a princess “She was as good as she was beautiful,” according to The Art of Being a Princess (third revised edition), which the almost-thirteen-year-old Princess Imogene is supposed to be reading. Not feeling particularly good, or all that beautiful, she heads for a nearby pond, where, unfortunately, a talking frog tricks her into kissing him. No prince appears, as one might expect. Instead, the princess turns into a frog herself! Thus launches a funny, wonderfully spun fractured fairy tale in which Imogene wonders if she will be forever frogified.
When I first started reading this one I was a bit unsure how I would feel about it. It's a made up fantasy land but it's very simple (not explained real well, but yet that's not really an issue in this one) where a princess meets a frog who tells her he is a prince who was turned into a frog. So she kisses him but the spell just switches to her and now she's a frog!
While the start just seemed a bit silly it quickly grew on me and I found myself loving Imogene SO much! She has to deal with some pretty stupid (or simple) people and she's quite hilarious in how she deals with these people. Her inner voice and her snark were really a joy to read. I found myself reading more and more each night instead of setting the book down like I normally do. I was desperate to see if she ever got un-frogified and how that might happen.
And just so you know- talking frogs are not common in the this story. Hopping up to someone and announcing you are Princess Imogene is not necessarily going to work because honestly, frogs can't talk! We all know that right? So this makes her situation just a tad more complicated.
If I were going to point out any qualms I would maybe say the ending was a tad anticlimactic. It wasn't really much of an issue for me though.
This one says it's for ages 9 and up and I think that's pretty accurate on what I would have guessed. It had a younger feel much of the time but yet there was talk of cute boys and such (mainly concerning another character who was boy crazy) there's also some humor that adults might get more than children, but yet isn't inappropriate for them.
I definitely recommend this one for girls who like a light, silly and fun fantasy book!
Disclosure: I received this book free of charge at ALAMW. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.


.png)




















I'm a fan of V.V.V., so I'll look out for Frogged!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the cover of Destiny, Rewritten. That's how I feel in a library... And this book sounds fantastic!! Going to order it right now.
ReplyDeleteDestiny Rewritten sounds like a great book. Thanks for the great review.
ReplyDeleteLike Charlotte, I like V.V.V., so I'll have to check out Frogged too.
These both sounds sooo good. I wish they carried at our library, my daughter would love them. Great reviews.
ReplyDeleteJenea @ Books Live Forever
I really liked Destiny Rewritten and it looks like I'll have to add Frogged to my to-read list now. Love princess books despite being far out of that target audience!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun books to start the week off with!
ReplyDeleteDestiny Rewritten looks adorable and I actually like one of my daughters would love this. She is really into mysteries right now.
I really love that cover of Destiny, Unwritten. I will definitely be searching that one out. Both books sound like books adults can enjoy as well, yes? I love middle grade reads but sometimes am disappointed when they seem "dumbed down" for a middle grade audience rather than being a great story. Thank you for sharing your reviews!
ReplyDeleteAw, these sound cute! DESTINY, REWRITTEN especially--I love the idea of a girl named after Emily Dickinson. And your review makes the book sound just lovely. :)
ReplyDeleteWendy @ The Midnight Garden
I think Destiny Rewritten is a perfect book for pressies! I know just the girls that would love it. Of course, I'd have to read it to make sure... *cough*. ;) Both sound great, but I really do need to check out that first one...for pressies... yea... that's the ticket... :D
ReplyDeleteI have Destiny Rewritten and really need to make the time to read it! Your review makes it sound exactly like something that I would love!!
ReplyDeleteAww they both sound adorable... esp. Destiny Rewritten!! I would love to read something like this aloud to my kid when he's a little bit older :) That's so sweet!
ReplyDeleteMichelle @ Pink Polka Dot Book Blog
I like when you do these, because I pass them on to my friends for their daughters. These both sound cute.
ReplyDeleteI adored Destiny Rewritten and Frogged sounds adorable too! I'll have to check it out. Imogene sounds like an awesome MC. Great reviews!
ReplyDeleteI've read a few of VVV things and liked them, they were older things so I'll have to check out Frogged. I am definitely going to get Destiny Rewritten. If you loved the characters that much, I'll just have to have it! So glad you enjoyed them both so much. Loved your reviews!
ReplyDeleteHeather
Destiny Rewritten sounds like a super fun and cute book. The characters seem like they are done really well. Frogged sounds cute too. Great reviews!!
ReplyDeleteBoth of these books sound really good! The one with the Emily Dickenson book sounds right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI'm really liking the cover and this is totally something I would love to read.
ReplyDeleteyou make me want to have little ones again, with these great reviews and finds..i keep picking them up for nieces and nephews
ReplyDeleteThese both look super cute! I am always looking for books to pick up for my nieces and nephews, so thanks for a couple more to add to my list.
ReplyDeleteTressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings
I'm currently in the middle of reading Destiny Rewritten and am enjoying it so far, although it sounds like a lot happens in the second half! Frogged sounds a lot like Disney's Princess & The Frog =)
ReplyDeleteThese sounds so cute, especially the first one. I just love that cover to.
ReplyDelete