Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
Hardcover, 320 pages
Expected publication: March 26th, 2013 by Bloomsbury
Source: ALAMW
I have been very eager to read Going Vintage. I'm a big fan of Lindsey Leavitt and have loved every book by her. This was no exception, I loved it!When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.
I was excited to read something light and fun and that's why I picked this up when I did. It was light and fun, but it had substance still since there are still issues going on, it wasn't all fun and games. One thing that made it so fun is Mallory. She's pretty hilarious! And while I liked her inner voice I actually loved her dialogue even more. It's like her funniest stuff comes out when talking to others. And I have to say that her and Oliver's chatting was the best part of the book.
I loved the lists that Mallory made and I loved that she's strong enough to stand by what she believes and to stand by herself and not need a man. She may not have an easy time being alone after being with her boyfriend so long, but she does an amazing job. I loved that she was so strong in sticking to her beliefs. Now when it came to a certain cute pep-club president, I kind of wanted her to just let everything go and fall into his arms.
Sisters and family are important in the book as well. I love when family is present and important and they were very present and important. Mallory's younger sister is actually her best friend and the relationship these two had was amazing, one of the best sister relationships I have read about yet. The stuff with her parents was great as well. And I loved how well they were fleshed out, I really felt like I knew all these people. And her grandmother was amazing, I wish my grandma was like that and lived near me!
I went from having my own iPhone for two years to sharing a prepaid phone with my husband (this was last year) so I know a little about what it's like to be able to look things up any old time and having constant contact with everyone you know to not having that when you give it up. I think she had some good points and that it's good to set those devices aside sometimes. While she might have taken it further than I ever would, I thought it was fun and it made some good points.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait for more from the wonderfully talented Lindsey Leavitt!
Disclosure: I received this book free of charge at ALAMW. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.





















I'm pretty excited about Going Vintage. I feel like lately I've developed an unhealthy codependent relationship with my phone so it's coming out at a perfect time. Plus it sounds cute and fun and I love cute and fun!
ReplyDeleteI loved this story! So cute! Made me want to go out and thrift for a new, cute, vintage wardrobe. But I don't think I could give up all my technology. I'm too addicted!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a great book! I will add it to my list of books to read! Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteI really loved this one too! I think my review will be up next week (I can't remember now). I love all her books. They are so much fun to read!
ReplyDeleteGreat review!
I think Leavitt writes amazing families and it makes me so happy because YA just doesn't always have that. Also really loved Oliver-so cute!
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds really fun! I haven't heard of Leavitt before but I will add this one to my TBR.
ReplyDeleteGoing Vintage sounds so good! I have Sean Griswold's Head, but haven't read it. I love a book that can examine issues and have substance, but is also fun and enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteGreat review, Candace!
" Now when it came to a certain cute pep-club president, I kind of wanted her to just let everything go and fall into his arms."
ReplyDeleteHahaha YES! Me too Candace:) I was also a huge fan of the role family played in this story and ADORED Mallory's sister. I agree it's one of the best sisterly relationships I've read:) This was my first book by Lindsey and she is definitely on my list of auto-buy authors now!
Family in a book is very important. And many YA books always lack good family roles. I'm totally going to have to read this!
ReplyDeleteI also love when family plays a big role in the story, and I'm glad to see that it's present in this book. I've always thought that this looked like a potential fun read. Thanks for sharing your review with us. I'm even more excited for this book and will be sure to check it out!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I didn't read your whole review because I'm getting ready to read this one. But I'm so glad this a good one! I can't wait to read it!! I love a fun, witty main character.
ReplyDeleteHeather
Ah, Candance, your review makes me want to pick this one up right away! Though it looks like I'll have to wait till the 26th. I haven't read any of Leavitt's books, but this one looks like a good choice to start with. I love funny dialogue and close knit relationships with family, so this one will definitely be in my tbr pile. Thanks for the great review, Candace!
ReplyDeleteI'm super excited to read this. It's up next for me on my Netgalley queue. It will be interesting to see her living less connected.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how you can give up your iPhone. I love my iPhone almost as much as I love my dog. :-)
I can definitely go for a cute and fun book to read. My last few reads have been hard to get through. I really like the sound of her great family and I wish there were more characters like Mallory.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your review! Love that this was a fun, light book with a great message. Mallory was amusing, and I liked that she went overboard with her no technology mission. Oliver was so swoony! And all the characters in general were real and relatable - agree that Mallory's relationship with her family was well done. Love this author!
ReplyDeleteOh I haven't read a YA book like this. Sounds different. Also, I agree and think it's easier to go without than to tech down. I'm curious as to how she deals with it.
ReplyDeleteOh, I 've been meaning to read this one and I love a quick, hilarious read! Lists are good, great banter w/a boy, and sister love! I'm even more tempted to read this now! Great review!
ReplyDeleteVivian
Confessions of a Vi3tBabe
Deity Island
This sounds like such a fun book. I was going to request it, but didn't have time for it. I will definitely read it down the road when I have time for it though.
ReplyDeleteMy older sister is my best friend and I know well how valuable such a relationship can be so I'm very happy it was portrayed so beautifully in this book. I'd read it for that alone, but the rest sounds very interesting as well. Truth be told, I doubt I could get used to a tech-free existance, but reading about it should be very fun.
ReplyDeleteGreat review!
I've seen this book around and thought the cover cute but this is the first time I've ever read the blurb! Who knew that is what it is about! Doh! (Sometimes I amaze me! lol) Anywho...sounds like a cute fun read...but I don't think I could ever give up technology unless I was within a whole community that was doing the same!
ReplyDeleteGreat review! This sounds like such a fun book.
ReplyDeleteGlad that it managed that balance of light and fun but still having meat to the story. The cover is cute, and I smile when I see it.
ReplyDeleteBrandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog
I have been waiting on this ever since saw that cover! I'm really glad to hear it's good and like you, I like seeing family featured in YA, too often they are a blur in the background.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds so good. I never even read the blurb before, even though I seen the book around. I should really start paying better attention, because I think I'd like this one.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear you like this one! I've got it on my TBR pile and am excited to check it out. I personally am way too addicted to my iPhone, so I could probably use a bit of a vintage approach to life, at least for a little while!
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear the family is so important in this novel, and especially the sister relationship. I love reading about strong family support in YA (it's so rare these days). Wonderful review!
I have been dying to read this book. It looks so stinking cute and the cover is fantastic!! I am glad you liked it. I may move this one to my priority TBR.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review,
Sara @ Just Another Story
This sounds amazing! I love when girls can stick up for themselves and move forward after a relationship. I think I would connect with this one!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review!