Sunday, November 27, 2011

Book Review: Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski

Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski
paperback, 320 pgs.
Published: May 24th, 2011 {paperback version} by Ember
Reading Level: Young Adult
Source: Purchased

A new life is just a phone call away!
Devi's life isn't turning out at all like she wanted. She wasted the past three years going out with Bryan—cute, adorable, break-your-heart Bryan. Devi let her friendships fade, blew off studying, didn't join any clubs . . . and now that Bryan has broken up with her, she has nothing left.
Not even her stupid cell phone—she dropped it in the mall fountain. Now it only calls one number . . . hers. At age fourteen, three years ago!
Once Devi gets over the shock—and convinces her younger self that she isn't some wacko—she realizes that she's been given an awesome gift. She can tell herself all the right things to do . . . because she's already done all the wrong ones! Who better to take advice from than your future self?
Except . . .what if getting what you think you want changes everything?
Fans of Sarah Mlynowski's Magic in Manhattan series will love this hilarious new novel with a high-concept premise .

 This was an adorable, fun and very thought provoking book.  Hasn't everyone wished they could change things from their past?  Wished they didn't date that guy?  Wished they'd remembered to change the oil so the engine didn't blow... We've all got things we wish we could have changed.  But if we could call ourselves and try to change it, then what would happen?  Some unexpected consequences could!  

I think it was pretty clear in the beginning how things would go.  I mean, we didn't know everything that would happen, but the gist of the story and point of it all was quite clear from the moment they started talking.  It wasn't at all a negative though, it worked for this story.  I kept thinking of things that I wish I could have changed, but one simple act can change your entire future.  It was kind of nice to be reminded that the future could be much more bleak then the future you already have.  

In the beginning I found myself feeling confused because it alternates between the freshman Devi and the senior Devi and while each chapter is clearly labeled I had a hard time remembering.  But once I was a few chapters in I was catching on, I had to make sure I read who's chapter is was going to be and get in the mindset for that Devi.  And before I knew it it wasn't a problem anymore!  

I definitely preferred the freshman Devi to the senior Devi.  But she's had her heart broken and is determined that the freshman Devi can change everything!  So she goes absolutely crazy trying to fix everything.  But poor freshman Devi just can't keep up and just wants to live her life.  It was nice watching both of them grow and discover more about themselves.  And while they are the same person they really didn't feel like it.  A few years can do a lot to you! 

This was a fun, fast and totally clean read that gave me plenty of giggles and reminded me that I should just be happy with what I have and who I am.   

10 comments:

  1. oh wow i love your review! i always have a problem when the author switches between the present/past/future. Definitely confuses me but since this is labeled then thats good. I've seen this book at the library, i adore the cover and now i like the premise of it. If you want to change something and you do.. won't it affect everything else that follows after it? I'd prefer not to change anything :)

    thanks for the great review!!

    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked it! I read my first book of her's, Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have) this year and LOVED it! I want to check out her other books, so maybe I'll pick up this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so cute! I liked Ten Things We Did, but I haven't read any of Mlynowski's other stuff yet so Gimme a Call might be a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a bit like Peggy Sue Got Married. Have you seen that movie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so cute! I love the concept. I always enjoy things that have to do with time and changing the future, and the consequences that follow. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds really cute! I've never heard of it before, but I might check it out now. I love the concept of it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh I totally want to read this one!! Looks so cute. :) Great review - thanks for sharing your thoughts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally don't know how this book escaped me! I thought I'd read everything she'd written. lol It sounds really good! I'm gonna have to track down a copy at my library! :) Hope your having a great trip and can't wait till you get home!!!! It's definately been quiet on twitter without you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should read this one soon. It's sounds so great! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one does sound fairly predictable, but predictability is okay as long as the execution is great. I've never read anything by Mlynowski, but it sounds like she knows how to execute a story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs