Monday, November 7, 2011

Book Review: Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler {Just Contemporary Review}

Today's Just Contemporary Review {find out more about this event and to find the list of other contemporary's I've reviewed HERE} is Fixing Delilah.  This is one I read a couple months ago and saved the review for this event.  I have to say that the story has faded a bit in my memory but I remember bits and pieces of it, or the gist of the story, I guess.   


Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler
Hardcover, 320 pgs.
Published December 1st, 2010 by Little, Brown
Reading Level: Young Adult
Source: Library

Things in Delilah Hannaford's life have a tendency to fall apart.She used to be a good student, but she can't seem to keep it together anymore. Her "boyfriend" isn't much of a boyfriend. And her mother refuses to discuss the fight that divided their family eight years ago. Falling apart, it seems, is a Hannaford tradition.
Over a summer of new friendships, unexpected romance, and moments that test the complex bonds between mothers and daughters, Delilah must face her family's painful past. Can even her most shattered relationships be pieced together again?
Rich with emotion, Sarah Ockler delivers a powerful story of family, love, and self-discovery.



I have never read Sarah Ockler before (I know, I know, I really must read Twenty Boy Summer) and I had seen some really good reviews for this one and I've seen some mediocre ones.  So I wasn't sure if I would love it or not.  With a little push from Nikky (Wicked Awesome Books) I did pick it up before I had to return it to the library and I'm very glad I did!  

For the most part I really enjoyed this book.  Delilah is having a hard time because her mother is neglecting her and focusing only on her job.  And her mother definitely got me good and angry, she just wouldn't listen. She expects Delilah to be this perfect little angel but she won't give one ear just to hear anything Delilah has to say.  I seriously wasn't sure if her mother could ever redeem herself because she made me so angry.  And I was really feeling for Delilah and 'getting' her.  It's not until later in the book that Delilah got on my nerves.  Suddenly it seemed like she was just so angry and she just took it out on everyone and she wasn't listening to people anymore.  I wasn't really understanding why she went so extreme.  Why she was so determined to protect her heart.  I understand that her mother wasn't really being there for her but why was she so protective of her heart?  It seems like she would be more determined to find someone to love her.  My disconnection with her in that period of time may be because I haven't gone through something like that, I can't really relate in any way.  

The story flowed really well and I found it difficult to put down.  I read it in a day because I was so sucked into it.  I was anxious to figure out the mysteries that were going on.  To find out more about her aunt Stephanie and why her mother and aunt hadn't spoken to their mother in so many years because of some mysterious fight.  While I figured out some of it a little before hand most of it was a surprise and I was happy with how it all unfolded.

Despite the short period of time that Delilah got on my nerves I actually really liked this book.  The romance was really sweet and I really liked how it came about and their history.  Definitely no insta-romance here!  
I definitely recommend this book to young adult contemporary readers.  It's quite clean with very little bad language or sexual content.  And Sarah Ockler is an AMAZING writer.  There were many passages I would have bookmarked if it wasn't a library book.  I'll be rushing to read anything she writes because her words are amazing.

Find the author:

16 comments:

  1. I WANT THIS BOOK.

    Actually, I want to read every Sarah Ockler book after TWENTY BOY SUMMER.

    And I really like your review. It's so great how for this mind such great contemp titles are coming under the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love contemporary books but for some reason I rarely read any. I haven't read anything by Sarah either but I do have 20 Boy Summer on my shelf. Great review!


    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet! I've been meaning to get it but always forget! I really enjoyed Twenty Boy Summer though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite all it's praise, I have yet to read 20 Boy Summer either, or this one for that matter. I'm a bit on the fence too because of the meh rating reviews I've read for it. I'm glad to know the story is such that it makes it hard to put down. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read anything by this author...but how a book flows and the way an author writes are extremely important to me. The books with great flow, beautiful words and imagery are the ones I love!


    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by Sarah but I've heard good things. Need to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this one dude!!! It sounds so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you liked it! You should read Twenty Boy Summer as soon as you can--it's way better than Fixing Delilah, though I do love both. I just finished re-reading Twenty Boy Summer yesterday, actually, and I fell in love with it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT review! I think I liked Twenty Boy Summer more, but Fixing Delilah was still pretty amazing. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who found Delilah's behavior a bit annoying! And agreed about the insta-romance. It was still really sweet and well developed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Twenty Boy Summer on my kindle, but haven't read it yet! I've heard really good things about Sarah though and her writing, so I'm definitely going to have to read her books now!


    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the book as well, and like you there were quite a few passages I loved, and when that happens I tend to write them down. This was also a first for me to read of hers as well. I do have twenty boy summer on my shelf so I need to get to that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read Twenty Boy Summer yet either, (although I REALLY need to and fast :P) but I loved this book. I read it last year and was completely blown away. World of win.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed Twenty Boy Summer, I didn't love it but it was a good book overall. I think this one has been on my wish list for some time now and I really do need to get a copy soon because I do like Sarah's writing.

    I'm glad you liked this one and I hope you are able to get your hands on Twenty Boy Summer soon. :)

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAYAYAYAY!!! I'm so happy you read it and you enjoyed it! Sarah Ockler has her own personal key to my heart.

    I read Twenty Boy Summer before this one and liked it enough, but I freaking adore Fixing Delilah. Like on a hardcore level. And like you said, Ockler is a phenomenal writer. She's on my insta-buy list :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Twenty Boy Summer was so sad and so AMAZING. Sarah Ockler's portrayal of grief is spot freaking on in that book. I have no trouble at all believing that this one is written just as well. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while now. I really, REALLY need to make time for it. After reading your review I'm definitely going to have to try to fit it in soon, especially since she has a new book coming out fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVED Twenty Boy Summer, but I could never get into this one. You should definitely read TBS asap!! It's so great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs