For those of you who don't know I signed up for some challenges to read Harry Potter this year. No, I haven't read them before. And no, I haven't watched the movies other then bits and pieces. This is my first time.
In January I read the first three books. I then said that I would read one a month until I've read them all. Unfortunately in February I didn't find time. I didn't in March either. Finally I made myself pick it up this month. It wasn't because I didn't want to read it, I really did, I just have so many review books to read I felt guilty. But what I did was read a bit and then read a review book before I went back to it. So it took me a week, but I read a few other books as well.
So what did I think? Well, this is where things started feeling really intense. I can see where things are getting scary and this felt more young adult then the others, who felt more middle grade. It seems crazy that Harry has already had 3 years behind him at Hogwarts.
The twists and turns seemed to surprise me for the most part and I'm so glad that I don't know what happens. That I never caved in and watched the movies because there's nothing like the first time reading them with fresh eyes and no idea of what's going to happen.
I definitely was happy with how this one went. I don't think I really have any complaints. And I'm very anxious to see where things go in the next one!
I think I'll plan to read it in July as I really have a lot of books to read. But if I can fit it in sooner I'll definitely be doing that!
Monday, April 25, 2011
8 comments:
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.
I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



















One of the things I loved most about this series is the growth and development of the entire world - from the characters, to the language and style, to the plot complexity. It's probably the only series I can think of that truly grows, literally, with the passage of time within the series. You will see, as you continue, that not only do the books go from middle school to YA, they then end up solidly in the adult fiction realm.
ReplyDeleteHope you continue to enjoy the books!
Adam,
ReplyDeleteYeah, I can see that it's going to get really intense. Well, it has already, though it was fairly brief. I can see where it would definitely be on the level of adult fiction for that.
I love that each book is a full year. We don't get the boring daily life, but see what it's like at Hogwarts and of course all the important stuff. I find myself seeing clues for things before we know they are clues and that's a lot of fun.
It definitely grows with each book, that's for sure!
YAY! I'm so glad you're finally reading them ;)
ReplyDeleteThis was definitely one of my favorites! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you haven't read or watched Harry Potter before. Maybe my astonishment is just there because I grew up with the books and devoured them one by one, as they came out. I remember going to midnight book release parties and then the midnight movie showings (I'll be at the last midnight show too!) so I feel like Harry is a part of who I am. As I grew older, Harry, Ron, and Hermione grew older. It's kind of amazing how one generation can become so intertwined and connected with a book series and its characters. I agree with Adam too. As you continue to read the series, you'll see some incredible growth and see how much the series transforms from middle grade, all the way to adult. Enjoy :)
ReplyDeleteThis is where things get intense! I really loved this one and it really paves the way for the BIG events in the next three. While the Order of the Phoenix is probably my least fav books 6 and 7 are...breathtaking! I can't wait for you to read them!
ReplyDeleteThe fifth book was one of my absolute favorites...in the fourth book things really start to get interesting and from there, it just gets better and better =)
ReplyDeleteNice to hear that you enjoy the books.
xoxo
Friday July 15th is the date! here's a little Potter Nostalgia to share http://bit.ly/reVJ7n
ReplyDelete