Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Details: Hardcover, 512 pgs.
Published: Oct 12, 2010 by Little, Brown books for Young Readers
isbn: 0316077054 (ISBN13: 9780316077057)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Series: Caster Chronicles (Beautiful Creatures) #2
Received from: Purchased myself
 
Description:
Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems. 


My Thoughts:
Although I ended up really enjoying this book I felt like it had a bit of a slow start.  It was probably a bit necessary to show the passing of time and some issues being resolved (his father) as well as meeting some new characters.  But I just had a harder time getting through it in the beginning.  But once it took off, WOW it got GOOD!  
This book shows us much more of the Caster world.  We spend a lot more time with them and in their world. 
All my favorites were present and I LOVED the sisters (Ethans Aunts) so much!  I wish they had more book time because I could listen to them old ladies prattle on forever!  
This book was full of twists and turns and completely unexpected events.  People disappeared and people reappeared and you just didn't know what was what, and who was who anymore.
I thought I'd get a little irritated because when the book starts Lena is really depressed (to be expected) and she makes some decisions that I just wasn't getting.  But I knew that everything happened for a reason and I just went with it.  Although lack of communication is a pet peeve of mine in books, I felt like this situation made more sense.  I still wish some things maybe had gone a little differently but it was okay how it played out.  
Kami and Margie are able to create a world completely unique though still filled with our favorite paranormals and magic.  The Gothic aspect as well as being in the south are two things that make me love this book even more.  Oh, and I can't forget Ethan.  I love that these books are told from a male.  Makes the books even better, in my opinion!
I give this one 5/5 moons and can't wait for the next one!

You can find out more about The Caster Chronicles at Kami and Margie's website.
You can buy the books at your favorite bookstore.

7 comments:

  1. I am currently reading this bad boy and love it! I just wish I had more time to devour it!

    Oh, well, what is one to do??

    Mad Scientist sent me your way and I'm now a follower! Bring on the Steampunnkery!!!

    Black Disaster Fairy
    literarydaydreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the lack of communication. Her reasons for it was understandable, but Lena just annoyed me in this. It was still a great follow up to the first. Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this series and I think the next book will only be better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you loved Beautiful Darkness! I am excited to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this was pretty good too, I enjoyed it more than the first book, and I agree I loved the Aunts too! (stopping by from the Saturday Situation :-))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs