Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review: Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo


Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo
Hardcover, 256 pages
Published: Dec. 11th, 2012 by Knopf (US version, published in AUS in 2010)
Source: Purchased

Love is awkward, Amelia should know.

From the moment she sets eyes on Chris, she is a goner. Lost. Sunk. Head over heels infatuated with him. It's problematic, since Chris, 21, is a sophisticated university student, while Amelia, is 15.

Amelia isn't stupid. She knows it's not gonna happen. So she plays it cool around Chris—at least, as cool as she can. Working checkout together at the local supermarket, they strike up a friendship: swapping life stories, bantering about everything from classic books to B movies, and cataloging the many injustices of growing up. As time goes on, Amelia's crush doesn't seem so one-sided anymore. But if Chris likes her back, what then? Can two people in such different places in life really be together?

Through a year of befuddling firsts—first love, first job, first party, and first hangover—debut author Laura Buzo shows how the things that break your heart can still crack you up.

I love smart, clever and witty characters.  Dialogue that brings a huge smile to your face because it exudes wit and humor, while still maintaining that 'smartness' to it.  The best examples I have are John Green and David Levithan's characters.  Smart, clever, witty, and funny.   Amelia is definitely clever, and she's more a quiet type, but when she finds someone to open up to she really shows how smart she is.  How she really *thinks* about things, how everything has so much meaning.  And Chris is the funnier guy, the one who turns everything into a joke, but yet can sit and talk about feminism for a ridiculous amount of time.  The banter between them was loads of fun, but I wish there had been even more of it.  

We get the story from Amelia.  Her thoughts and feelings and emotions.  And her infatuation with Chris.  While she's only 15 she's a very mature 15 year old and she does a great job at not becoming a stalker, but seriously, at 15 containing all that love is hard!  Trust me, I remember!  

Now, after getting Amelia's side for several chapters, we suddenly get Chris's.  Only it's in journal form.  Which worked really well.  We still see his witty side, but we also see he's broken hearted, he's struggling with his family issues, his school issues, with growing up, etc.  Knowing what he's going through makes the story even better cause we know he's not just some jack a$$.  And it's okay to really like him.  

I liked the switch in POV's and like that Chris's was in journal form, but since when we got to Chris's portions we were getting the story we already know, just from his perspective, I did occasionally find myself a bit bored.  I wanted to know what happens next.  This was a pretty minor issue though.

Not a lot happens in this book, but it's okay, it works.  We see that Amelia is struggling with her home life.  With her mother being stressed, her father being absent.  We know she doesn't always feel like she fits in at work or with her friends but she's not really one who gets all angsty about it, and it really just makes her a character we can understand and connect with.  

This book has some bad language, drinking and drug use.  For that reason I would recommend it for mature readers.  But I most definitely do recommend it, especially for those who love a good Aussie book, cause this certainly is that!  I seek out books that are written by Australian authors and that take place in Australia, and this one certainly wasn't disappointing!

27 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this, hun! I didn't love it like most readers, but I did think it was a nice story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love at 15, no matter how mature, really is a hard thing. And these days, it's so easy to become a stalker, what with all the interwebz stuff available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you liked this one, for whatever reason I just couldn't get into it, I think because I thought it really was more of a love story instead of a life story so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this one, but didn't really love it. I did find it a bit boring at times. Like you said, nothing really happens. That didn't bother me so much as how immature Chris was. I just really didn't like him. I liked Amelia and how smart she is, even the stupid mistakes she makes, but Chris and his self pity, and destructive behavior just didn't work for me. It's was like he was still trying to be 16 instead of just growing up. Great review chick! Sorry I got all ranty lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of this one. I'm a character gal so this one is right up my alley. I was a little hesitant about the age difference between the two characters so I'm curious how the author addresses this issue. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "While she's only 15 she's a very mature 15 year old and she does a great job at not becoming a stalker"

    WELL DONE AMELIA!!! I like a girl who's in love but resists the stalker pull:) This sounds like such a great read, I'm a huge fan of witty characters and clever dialogue too (who wouldn't be?) so I need to make time for this book. I also really like that we get Chris's POV in journal form, that's something fun and different:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been seeing this around a lot lately. It looks awesome! Witty characters are the best. I think some people have have an issue with the age difference between the characters, but I think it's a unique thing for the author to write. And I love Aussie books. So, I'll definitely be checking this one out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seem very conflicting reviews for this one, but I think I would like it. I love a good character-driven story. When I was 16, I hung out w/older guys, which didn't seem weird at the time, b/c guys my age were stupid. But now that I'm a parent? OMG, I would be so mad at an guy Chris' age hanging out w/my daughter.

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love clever, funny characters, and adore John Green and David Levithan. This sounds like a book I should definitely check out. I remember being 15 and you're right, it's tough to tread the line between loving and obsessing too much. :-) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, sounds like a cute read. I could fall into this book easily. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked hearing from Chris more than Amelia, because I liked her voice raher than journal.
    Lovely review.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. kindlemom, hmmm, I actually didn't feel like it was really a love story. It was more a friendship story, I guess. And I actually felt like her life stuff was a pretty important aspect. I guess we just sometimes see things differently.

    Amy, It was a bit slow at times. Particularly in the beginning.

    Taylor, I felt like the age difference was handled well and realistically. People can't really get to squicked out about how it goes.

    Andrea, Oh I KNOW! Things are so different once your a parent, aren't they?

    Heidi, I loved Chris and his journal entries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an interesting character driven book. Plus, love that title. :) I'm curious about how the journal works with Chris's voice. That alone makes me want to read it since it is different.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I really am SO glad that you enjoyed this one, Candace! I do agree that some of Chris's story was the same, just in his perspective, but I think it made their relationship stronger and the ending all the more bittersweet. Lovely review, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hm so... I liked how the book was written. With the switching POV and the journal.

    But... I still felt detached from the story and was sadly disappointed. Especially the ending was not how I had hoped for...

    Happy you liked it :))

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a big LEvithan fan, but John Green I love, and I absolutely adore Buzo and this novel! It's one of those books you don't process right away. For me it took some time to make my peace with the ending.
    Fantastic review, Candace! I'm so happy you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really liked this book too especially seeing both of their sides of the story cos both are great characters with a lot of depth and intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES! I love how awkward Amelia was. I mean being 14 or 15 years old IS an awkward time for most us. And I love that we got to see how Chris GRADUALLY began to see Amelia as more than just the "youngster" as we read his journal entries. I found myself waiting impatiently to see when he would mention Amelia as he relayed his version of events-- it felt very realistic. Again, LOVING the male POV:)

    Great review, Candace. So glad you enjoyed this book as much as I did:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I keep hearing great things about this book! Especially from people who like thoughtful, witty stories, and aren't as concerned about Big Action. I'm also all about Aussie books, so I've definitely added this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great Review... I loved this book and I wasn't expecting to! I loved that Chris's POV was all surprising because it came in kinda late. And it made me see that he isn't just some confident oblivious guy, he actually sort of hates himself. The best part is I didn't think I could EVER think of a guy that old and a girl that young as acceptable, but by the end I thought they would be cute together. Weird. Anyway great review, glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like it could be fun. Smart, funny, and witty definitely appeals to me. I enjoy alternating POVs to. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So happy to hear that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love witty characters too! I think it helps me feel better about reading about characters younger than I if I still find them intelligent and witty and clever and all. I've heard so many good things about this book and I'm glad that you also liked it, Candace! I can't wait to read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I was really interested in this one when I saw it in December, but of course, never got around to it. I still want to though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed this one. It just brought me back to that awkward time when you have a crush on someone that will probably never reciprocate.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great review. You said it right: not a lot happens in this book. And for that, I was surprised but I still really liked it. Especially the main character dealing with feminism and stereotypes. There was a lot of meat even if there was little action and little resolution. It was a really strong read for a YA, and I do hope plenty of people pick it up. Thanks for reminding me of a great reading experience!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh, I love Aussie books! And I loved the synopsis! Must read it for the clever and witty characters!

    Thank you for the great review. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs