Thursday, January 26, 2012

Urban Fantasy Mini Reviews: Eye of the Tempest and A Match Made in Hell

This is what I'm going to start doing for my urban fantasy reviews of books that are later in a series (first in a series will be a more full length review).  Because I don't want it to be spoilery for the previous books in the series I won't include descriptions and I'll be vague about plot points.  Mostly talking about character development and if I'm happy with how the series is turning out.

Eye of the Tempest (Jane True #4)

I've really been enjoying this series for many reasons.  I love that the author has brought in so many different kinds of creatures.  There's pretty much everything in these books and they all are important.  And it's not just the usual vampires, werewolves and succubus (or succubi?).  No, there are many other totally unique creatures.  I also love that she balances the humor with a lot of serious life-or-death situations.  So there's action, but there's lots of laughing as well.  And not to mention, there are some pretty steamy scenes as too!

Jane is freaking hilarious.  Her libido and her virtue have these conversations that will make you snort your coke out your nose (or coffee, tea, beer, whatever).  And while it took me a bit to warm up to her humor I totally love it now.

This book wasn't a disappointment at all.  I'm loving the way things are shaping up and the direction they are taking.  She's gone through a lot of changes with things and she's taking it all very well.  I'm super anxious to see where things go now!
4/5 stars

A Match Made in Hell (Nicki Styx #2) by Terri Garey

This book was slower moving then most of the UF & PNR I've been reading lately, but I was still completely engrossed and didn't have a problem with reading it.  And the last quarter of the book was impossible to put down.

Nicki isn't a character I completely love.  Her stubbornness sometimes gets to me.  I also feel like she is sometimes just a bit naive.  She's been exposed to so much but yet sometimes she's blind to things that I think are obvious.  But yet there's something about her that I do like.  And I also like a character that grows and she's definitely growing.  She hasn't really had this ability to talk to ghosts that long so I should probably give her a bit of a break as well.  Because even though she saw a lot in the first book it was very sudden so it's probably a bit much for her to wrap her head around.  One thing I do have to say is that she's got a great sense of style and I admire her for sticking to her guns on being herself.  She sticks to her vintage/goth ways.  And I love that about her.  I also like seeing that she does know right from wrong and is determined to do right even when it's so easy to sellout. 
 

This is turning out to be a pretty good series.  I feel just a bit on the fence about it for some reason and I think it's just cause I don't love, LOVE it.  There are some things I just don't care for that much.  But somehow I cruise through the books like they're candy and I feel pretty satisfied.  So I do recommend it if it sounds like your thing.  I also have to mention that it's labeled as paranormal romance but it feels urban fantasy to me.  Romance is a pretty strong theme but it just doesn't have the normal romance and the story line of Nicki dealing with ghosts and whatnot is much more important to the story.  There's also sex but it's not described as much as most PNR books do.  So anyway, my point is, if you're not a big PNR fan but like UF give this one a try, it may be right up your alley!

3.5 stars

8 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about the Jane True series, I really need to give those a try! I love a character that can make me expel my beverage through my nose as I choke trying to laugh. Complete win. Such fabulous mini reviews Candace, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound soooo good! *adds ANOTHER series to my TBR*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I really like the covers! DeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Eye of the Tempest definitely sounds like something I might enjoy. I love when a story is so rich on supernatural creatures, it is often fun to read! Oh and Jane sounds awesome :)) I will add this series to my list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay I'm glad you are continuing to enjoy the series that I got you part of for X-mas. I have the first three books on my shelf and I think I will like the main character's odd humor. Lol I mean I do have Johnny in my life and he is pretty odd. :)

    Thanks for the great mini reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series is in my tbr pile..great review and thanks for reminding me why i need to read them

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your new approach to mid-series books--definitely helpful for those of us who haven't read either of these series yet. Definitely think I'm going to have to check out the Jane True books. They sound hilarious!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. *groans* I struggle with UF as it is, I don't need one that is slow going...so it's good to know that MMiH gets better.

    BUT I am going to read JANE! I have the first two book at the ready. I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks to my libido. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs