Thursday, January 5, 2012

Review: The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu

The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss #1) by Marjorie Liu
Paperback, 320 pgs.
Published June 24th, 2008 by Ace
Source: Purchased

Demon hunter Maxine Kiss wears her armor as tattoos, which unwind from her body to take on forms of their own at night. They stand between her and her enemies, just as Maxine stands between humanity and the demons breaking out from behind the prison veils. It is a life lacking in love, reveling in death, until one moment—and one man— changes everything.

A few weeks ago I got the latest book in this series for review, since I hadn't read the first ones I added them to my wish-list and luckily I found the first one used almost right away.  And when I went to read the first page just to get a feel for the story {wasn't actually going to keep reading it right then}, I was sucked right in.  And I stayed sucked in until I finished the book.  

This was a unique and creative story with some fascinating characters.  I always love when an author messes with your head.  When you think someone's a bad guy but compared to other bad guys he's/she's practically a good guy.  And sometimes you nearly hate a character and then they do something that makes you totally love them.  In this book there are bad guys, worse guys and then the even worse guys.  And as for good guys, well, that seems harder to determine.  Are any of them really good?  I think so but yet I've been proven wrong a time or two already...

My favorite 'characters' are the five demons on Maxine's body.  During the day they are tattoos and they shield her from harm.  I mean she can get hit by a bus and be fine.  But at night they peel away from her skin and are like these awesome little dragons (well, that's just what I picture) and they will protect Maxine no matter what.  They are vicious and chew on tools just for fun.  They are totally kick butt and can kill in the blink of an eye.  Zee is the only one that actually speaks but they are all intelligent and understand everything said, etc.  They were absolutely awesome creatures and elevated this book to a whole other level to me.  Really, can I have one?  Or five would be nice ;)

Maxine is a pretty kick butt chick.  She's had things drilled into her head since she was child and her mother had 'the boys' {the demon things} on her and 'did away' with the demons in our world.   Maxine's mother taught her a lot but in this book she realizes that her mother kept loads of secrets as well.  She starts to feel like she knows nothing about demons and the supernatural.  There's so much going on all of a sudden and she just feels in the dark.  As the story goes on and she discovers many new things she has to suffer through a lot as well.  This elevates her to a new level of kick butt'ness and I'm sure as the series goes on she'll continue to grow as she learns more.  I was very pleased with her character though and how she was able to balance her darker self with her what her heart said was right.  

This is a pretty fast paced book and a lot of that is due to the constant action.  It was hard to put down because I'd say 'just to the end of the chapter' but then there would be a horrible cliffhanger, so I had to keep reading.  I read almost the entire book in one sitting.  It seriously was that good.  I don't usually fall in love with urban fantasy books in the first book so I was surprised how much I liked this one right from the get go.  If there's anything I could maybe say is a negative is that it was a bit confusing at times.  I think much of that was just because it was so hard for me to wrap my head around everything.  It's a minor complaint though and one I'm not sure could be any other way.  

I'm very anxious to continue this story.  I want to see where the story line goes but I'm eager to learn more about Grant, her boyfriend that has some super powers of his own, and some secrets that her grandfather is still hiding.  I very highly recommend this book to urban fantasy readers, it's definitely not one to be missed!
4.5/5 stars

11 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! I'll have to add it to my TBR list and check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo this sounds so good! Don't you just love when you flip a book open and you're all "I'm just going to read a page or two to see if I like it" and then all of a sudden you're 100 pages in and still going strong:) Love the whole idea of the tattoos and how they protect Maxine, I think I'll be picking this series up! Really wonderful review Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that sounds do awesome!!! I have a thing for tattoos and the story sounds awesome. I'm actually looking for a paranormal adult series to start, so this might be a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great! I also love being messed with my head while reading books it makes them memorable and just fun to read! Awsome review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I love when that happens. When you think, I'll just check this out, but then get sucked right in! I honestly didn't know about this series before your review... Now, Can't wait till you tell more about this Grant fellow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds fabulous! I love it when a book is so exciting that you just can't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this one as well. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You KNOW this kind of book is right up my alley--why you tempt me so? Actually I think I've read one in this series and enjoyed it. *sigh* guess I'm adding more awesome to my TBR pile! (Oh, I can't complain. My TBR will keep me happy for-evah!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mummbles..yep I need to turn myself into an urban fantasy reader. You keep reviewing all of these UF books lately and they all look so great. This one does seem like it has a lot going on though.

    The demon tattoos remind me of Simi from the Dark Hunter series, she is a tattoo that turns into a demon when she comes off of Acheron's skin.

    Anyways, enough of my rambling.

    Thanks for the great review, really need to work on the UF thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. On first read, the blurb didn't grab me, but your descriptions of the unique world building elements made me change my mind. Tattoo dragons sound fascinating and I love hearing that the characters keep you guessing throughout the whole novel.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you for this book. I was a little afraid because I read a lot of mixed opinion and not a lot of good reviews. But finally I ended enjoying the book too. Glad you liked it. I'm also curious to know more now about the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs